(Solved) ESET Internet Security v10.1.204 Firewall bug

• ESET Insiders

ESET Internet Security firewall keep asking about every site Microsoft edge is trying to open even after i created a rule to let Edge connect to anything

Not sure if any other program is effected but it happen alot on Microsoft Edge

Edited by BALTAGY

• ESET Insiders

It also happen with Internet download manager and backgroundTaskHost.exe in Win10

• ESET Insiders
5 hours ago, itman said:

Maybe they are related but they are not the same

I have the Firewall running only it seems to ignore the rules, also tried it in a clean install with only 1 rule for Microsoft Edge but still same problem

• ESET Insiders
8 minutes ago, itman said:

Are you running the firewall in default "Automatic" mode?

No it's in Interactive mode if it's in Automatic mode it wont ask me it will allow by defaults

Same problem here, running ESET Smart Security v10.1.204 on Windows 10 (v1607 x64), with the firewall in interactive mode.

It’s driving me mad, the ESS firewall is ignoring all rules and just keeps asking if I want to deny or allow traffic, again and again. Rules are being saved properly, but the firewall just ignores them (causing confusion and resulting in many duplicate rules being created). Happens with all applications: Windows Store, Chrome, Outlook etc.

The problem sometimes disappears for a while (maybe after restarting the computer or after opening all ESS firewall rules and pressing OK), but usually returns within a few hours.

have the same exact problem. it was working fine until eset did a signature update, (something in that signature/database update caused problem)

Clean Install of windows 10 1703

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, BALTAGY said:

ESET Internet Security firewall keep asking about every site Microsoft edge is trying to open even after i created a rule to let Edge connect to anything

Post a screen shot of the Eset alert you are receiving when you try to access a web site.

• ESET Insiders

Snap3.png

Snap2.png

Snap2.png

Note that once i open Microsoft Edge ESET start to ask about every other connection to all programs not just Edge even there's a rules for them all

While i'm trying to get you the pictures now firewall asked me about every connection for Firefox and other programs as well, once restarted and didn't open Edge at all everything works fine

Edited by BALTAGY

Win 10 x64 1607, Eset Smart Security 10.0.390

OK. I switched the firewall to Interactive mode. I started up Edge. For each alert, I allowed it with the option to permanently create a rule. Below are the three rules Eset created. After the last rule was created, I received no further alerts from Edge. Shut down Edge and then restarted it. No outbound traffic alerts whatsoever.

I suggest you delete all existing rules for Edge. Then repeat the process shown above.

Eset_Edge.png

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders
11 minutes ago, itman said:

Win 10 x64 1607, Eset Smart Security 10.0.390

OK. I switched the firewall to Interactive mode. I started up Edge. For each alert, I allowed it with the option to permanently create a rule. Below are the three rules Eset created. After the last rule was created, I received no further alerts from Edge. Shut down Edge and then restarted it. No outbound traffic alerts whatsoever.

I suggest you delete all existing rules for Edge. Then repeat the process shown above.

Eset_Edge.png

I have them all allowed also tested in a clean install same problem happen

This Problem is only on v10.1.204 not in v10.0.390

Edited by BALTAGY

2 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

I have them all allowed also tested in a clean install same problem happen

Are your Win and Eset versions the same as mine?

• ESET Insiders
Just now, itman said:

Are your Win and Eset versions the same as mine?

This problem is not in v10.0.390 it's only on v10.1.204 in Win10 v1511 and v1703

5 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

This problem is not in v10.0.390 it's only on v10.1.204

OK.

Will have to let @Marcos handle this one.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders
Just now, itman said:

OK. Would have been helpful is you originally stated the Eset version.

Will have to let @Marcos handle this one.

It's already in the topic title :)

• Most Valued Members

Don't have the same issue myself. Running w10 x64 1703 , and ESSP 10.1.204.

Would imagine if it was a bug with the software then it would affect me too, and that more people would be having the issue.

Have noticed that after the update to 1703 that smartscreen filter now needed a new rule created. Maybe it's this that's causing the issue and not edge itself ?

• ESET Insiders
13 minutes ago, cyberhash said:

Don't have the same issue myself. Running w10 x64 1703 , and ESSP 10.1.204.

Would imagine if it was a bug with the software then it would affect me too, and that more people would be having the issue.

Have noticed that after the update to 1703 that smartscreen filter now needed a new rule created. Maybe it's this that's causing the issue and not edge itself ?

It's in Win10 v1511 also, if you look up two other people have the same problem

Also i tried it in a clean install on Win10 1703 without any programs installed also same problem

• Most Valued Members

Yes i seen that another 2 people had the same problem, but if it was a problem with ESS then i would be affected too. I'm running the same combination of windows version and ESS as the people reporting problems but i don't have any issues whatsoever.

Have you went to (Tools>Log Files>Personal Firewall) and checked for any entries of svchost being blocked as the new build of windows treats it differently than before and are not grouped like previous builds of windows.

If you go to task manager in windows and check the processes tab, you will see there are lots of entries (3 pages) now and each item is running a separate instance of Service host. Unlike previous builds that had around 8 instances running and had all items running within those 8.

svchost.jpg

• ESET Insiders
1 hour ago, cyberhash said:

Yes i seen that another 2 people had the same problem, but if it was a problem with ESS then i would be affected too. I'm running the same combination of windows version and ESS as the people reporting problems but i don't have any issues whatsoever.

Have you went to (Tools>Log Files>Personal Firewall) and checked for any entries of svchost being blocked as the new build of windows treats it differently than before and are not grouped like previous builds of windows.

If you go to task manager in windows and check the processes tab, you will see there are lots of entries (3 pages) now and each item is running a separate instance of Service host. Unlike previous builds that had around 8 instances running and had all items running within those 8.

Watch this video, it's a clean install on Win10 v1703, same happen on Win10 v1511

Edited by BALTAGY

• Most Valued Members
11 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

Watch this video, it's a clean install on Win10 v1703, same happen on Win10 v1511

I don't doubt that you are having problems. Im just trying to help you work out whats causing the issue. Still think a good starting point would be to open ESS , goto tools>more tools>Log files(Personal Firewall) and see if there is any instances of svchost being blocked and right click to allow and remember similar types of actions.

Also noticed that you don't even get a pop up message for smart screen filter when you launch edge (which you should do as its a separate process), and not part of edge itself.

• ESET Insiders
1 minute ago, cyberhash said:

I don't doubt that you are having problems. Im just trying to help you work out whats causing the issue. Still think a good starting point would be to open ESS , goto tools>more tools>Log files(Personal Firewall) and see if there is any instances of svchost being blocked and right click to allow and remember similar types of actions.

Also noticed that you don't even get a pop up message for smart screen filter when you launch edge (which you should do as its a separate process), and not part of edge itself.

I have no log for svchost being blocked also i made the video to see how the problem look like, it explain more than words

ESET v10.0.390 was working fine but not v10.1.240