ESET Endpoint Security 6.6 is available for evaluation

• ESET Moderators

Dear ESET Endpoint Security / ESET Endpoint Antivirus users,

I’m pleased to announce that the new version of ESET Endpoint Security 6.6 built from new code base is ready to be tested outside of our lab, by the real users.

The builds are available on our FTP server ftp.nod.sk/~randziak/EES_6.6_BETA/

This version can be activated by standard licenses issued for ESET Endpoint Security.

In case you are interested in a BETA license for evaluation, please drop me a private message, I will provide you with one.

If you need the installer without the AV remover or just the ESET Endpoint Antivirus let me know as well.

The most important scenario, which we would like to be tried by you is to perform and upgrade from previous ESET Endpoint Security as we believe that the changes introduced will make everyone eager to upgrade to it.

Although the version 6.6 does not bring any huge new feature, the changes under the hood are more than significant:

-          The protection modules were switched to standard .dll format bringing:

significant RAM saving

full support for the Microsoft Windows 10 Creators update

faster ESET service startup

-          Improves the protection level

AMSI support (Windows 10+)

Protected service (Windows 8.1+)

Advanced scanning of browser scripts

-          Native x64 ESET service

-          Initial scan improvements

Runs only once, after the product is activated

Does not start if a laptop is on battery

-          Revamped GUI

New update pane

New Help and support section

New Setup pane design

New Logs layout

Graphics improvements

-  The product starts the full protection, including the drivers installation after the activation

-  Firewall uses the Windows network settings as a default (no user prompt after installation)

As you can see the list of changes is quite long and we believe that all of them will improve both the level of protection and the level of user experience.

As the changes were quite significant, we are aware of few known issues with this product, which shouldn’t affect the user experience too much:

-  New settings are not available in ERA yet

-  Product activation is not kept after upgrade from EES / EEA generation 5 and some settings are not overtaken (like Scan profiles)

-  Some protection features are shown as not functional until system reboot

-  New version link on Protection status does not work, update to new version must be started from Update pane

-  Help is not fully updated yet

Please do not hesitate to share your experience with the new EES 6.6 on the forums, in case of technical issues the preferred way is to submit a support ticket via the help and feedback available in the product as logs are generated and send (if allowed by the user) on the background to easy the analysis by our engineers and developers.

We are looking forward to your feedback,

Peter Randziak

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

@jimwillsher and @rekun I sent you a private message with the download link.

@kingoftheworld you got the license in your private message inbox <fun> the invoice will come later :-) </fun> 

Thank you for your participation, P.R.

Hi Peter,

I've removed 6.5, rebooted, and installed 6.6 (all EEA 64) and I've got a File Corrupted message soon after installation.

Forcing a manual update seems to have solved it.

Jim

2017-04-19_080740.jpg

Edited by jimwillsher

• ESET Moderators

Hello Jim,

both the update files and the modules are digitally signed so in case the file is corrupted you can see such message.

I'm glad that it got resolved by the next update attempt (so it would probably resolve itself by next scheduled update as well.)

btw. in the diagnostics there is a new option log log the update process as well so in case you (or anyone else) encounter issue with an update this is a very easy way to collect required logs for ESET support.

Regards, P.R.

• ESET Moderators

Good, thank you.

In case they are without the "Update engine advanced logging" enabled, I'm afraid that the guys won't be able to determine the root cause exactly. :-(

P.R.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.....I've been running 6.6 for a few weeks, and aside from the comments above it's working flawlessly, no issues.

• ESET Moderators

Hello Jim,

good, thank you for the confirmation.

may I ask if you tried also upgrades from the previous version(s) or clean installations only?

Regards, P.R.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Peter; can you upload the EEA versions please?

You may have seen a forum posting of mine yesterday. I had two brand new Win10 laptops where EEA 6.5 wouldn't work at all, but 6.6 did work. I'll be curious to try this later version.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

v6.6 is something we're looking forward to due to our recent issues upgrading from v5.0.2225 to v6.5 on Windows 10 (I believe there was a problem with Windows Defender that should be addressed in this release?). To provide context we installed our v5 clients with a config file that points it to our internal update server.

I tested the v5.0.2225 to v6.6.2031 upgrade and found that the v6.6.2031 installer hangs at 0% of finalizing installation. However closing the installer manually at this point seems to leave me with a working client. This is an improvement on my experience with v6.5, which would hang at "starting services" and leave my computer with no entry in Installed Programs, and cause the PC's performance grind to a halt.

Other items of note are:

• I installed ERA Agent and our ERA6 host picks up the client as expected.
  • I was able to run a task to activate the client with our license.
  • I notice now that ESET Endpoint now generates a critical warning if Live Grid is disabled.
  • The client's update page shows a "Modules update failed - File not found on server", I assume this is due to the computer being managed by our ERA6 host?

Let me know if there's any information I can provide to work through the upgrade hang issue.  I've previously been told to try upgrading to the latest v5 before moving to v6, but your website suggests upgrading from v5.0.2225 is a perfectly normal workflow.

Regards,
Matt G

Edit to above: it looks like I had ERA6  Client installed during this entire process.  Trying an upgrade from v5 to v6.6 was successful. It seems the ERA6 Client caused the installer to hang during finalizing.

• Administrators

The problem with Defender was addressed in the latest v6.5 version. In the mean time, Microsoft fixed it on their part too.

• Marcos unpinned this topic