No disable computer protection option in quick links

• Most Valued Members

Since updating to the latest version 10.1.204.0 I noticed a change. When right clicking on the Eset icon in the taskbar I can see the firewall disable option (pause) alongside other options. However the pause protection option that used to be there is missing. Is this intentional and if so would eset consider bringing back the option. It was very handy having it there.

Thanks

• Most Valued Members

Not upgraded yet myself, but would agree with you that the pause protection quick link can be handy on occasion.
Would also like to see it back if it's gone :)

• Most Valued Members
58 minutes ago, cyberhash said:

Not upgraded yet myself, but would agree with you that the pause protection quick link can be handy on occasion.

I think being able to add your own in would also be great e.g. a gamer could put the gamer mode into  there

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, cyberhash said:

I just completed my update to EIS with v10.1.204 and I find the system tray icon right click menu to be the same as v10.0.390.

Ooops My bad I don't have it either.... :( 

Edited by SCR
Bad Information

I've noticed it too right away since i use that tray option often. Makes no sense they removed it. Hope they fix it back again!

I suspect this was done for security reasons.

Cybellum, a while back, caused quite a public stir by showing a number of AV security vendor products could be disable/bypassed since they were not running in Windows 10 protected mode or otherwise locked down.

Whereas Eset's kennel process does run in protected mode, the gui process does not. Eset subsequently "tightened up" the gui's self-protection. However, the Eset desktop icon options are not technically part of Eset's gui processing but rather extensions of it. So clever malware could access those desktop icon options and disable all of Eset's protections by enabling the "Pause Protection" option; namely its realtime protection.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, itman said:

I suspect this was done for security reasons.

Cybellum, a while back, caused quite a public stir by showing a number of AV security vendor products could be disable/bypassed since they were not running in Windows 10 protected mode or otherwise locked down.

Whereas Eset's kennel process does run in protected mode, the gui process does not. Eset subsequently "tightened up" the gui's self-protection. However, the Eset desktop icon options are technically part of Eset's gui processing but rather extensions of it. So clever malware could access those desktop icon options and disable all of Eset's protections by enabling the "Pause Protection" option; namely its realtime protection.

Wouldn't that mean they should also have removed the disable firewall part?

Just now, peteyt said:

Wouldn't that mean they should also have removed the disable firewall part?

Not as critical since the Win firewall would be used.

• Most Valued Members
Just now, itman said:

Not as critical since the Win firewall would be used.

Shame really. Wonder if there is a way around this.

Some AV products use a CAPCHA screen when temporary realtime protection disable is requested. Problem is that current malware has shown to be proficient in bypassing that.

I use the Hungarian language version, so I present the solution step by step to the pictures:

Snap_2017. április 17._13h44m16s_001_.png

Snap_2017. április 17._13h45m04s_002_.png

Snap_2017. április 17._13h45m43s_003_.png

Snap_2017. április 17._13h46m20s_004_.png

Edited by matyi

Marcos,

Do you mean it's a bug that the pause protection has been removed from the right-click menu? It is not clear what you mean.

DrT

3 hours ago, DrTeeth said:

Marcos,

Do you mean it's a bug that the pause protection has been removed from the right-click menu? It is not clear what you mean.

DrT

yes that's what he meant

• Most Valued Members
On 17/04/2017 at 1:04 PM, matyi said:

I use the Hungarian language version, so I present the solution step by step to the pictures:

Snap_2017. április 17._13h44m16s_001_.png

Snap_2017. április 17._13h45m04s_002_.png

Snap_2017. április 17._13h45m43s_003_.png

Snap_2017. április 17._13h46m20s_004_.png

Cheers. The problem is it can be a lot quicker to use the quick links but it looks like it will be fixed soon

Actually there is a faster way than the screen shots posted. Open the Eset GUI and go to the "Computer Protection" screen. Close the GUI. The next time you open Eset's GUI, it will go directly to the "Computer Protection" screen where you can pause the real time protection.

• 1 month later...

the pause protection is useful for me, please re add it.

I have a password enabled so to pause that password has to be entered.

Perhaps make it so it still shows if a password is set?

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, DrTeeth said:

There has been at least one update since this thread started and the option has still to make a reappearance.

DrT

From what i remember Marcos mentioning it will be fixed in 10.2

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, peteyt said:

From what i remember Marcos mentioning it will be fixed in 10.2

Not 10.2 as it turned out there would be more 10.1 builds. So it should be fixed in the next build of v10.1.

• Most Valued Members
On 2017-5-28 at 5:34 PM, Marcos said:

Not 10.2 as it turned out there would be more 10.1 builds. So it should be fixed in the next build of v10.1.

Nice to know. Just wondering if Eset would ever consider allowing users to add their own quick links e.g. if there's a specific feature you turn on/off regularly, allowing the user to choose that option when right clicking on the icon e.g. this would allow someone to add things like gamer mode for easy access.