Eset Ss 7.0.317.4 And 8.0.103.0 Blocking Access To Asus Rt-Ac66U Router

• Administrators

Just a small question: Why does it work with ESS v6?

Frankly, to answer this question I'll need to discuss it with our engineers first next week during work days. Will keep you updated.

I've called Eset, Microsoft, and Asus about this issue. So far, the problem remains (almost a year later). Microsoft and Asus reps, during my calls, implied the problem lies with Eset.

So reps end up pointing the finger at each other, which is, unfortunately, nothing new in the industry.

I respectfully suggest Eset contacts Asus as well. Maybe they'll listen to Eset instead of me. I feel this suggestion is, at least, somewhat constructive.

Bottom line is Asus router owners (and power users do tend to access their routers frequently in order to tweak) are inconvenienced when using Eset SS at default settings.

Consequently, it seems logical to infer that the average existing Asus router owner will not be going out of his or her way to buy or renew Eset licenses, and that's unfortunate.

• Administrators

We have one of the latest Asus routers where the issue manifests. Our engineers have already diagnosed it and narrowed it down to a falty web server implementation in Asus routers which causes issues when an application performing operations at WFP level like ESET does is installed.

I'll discuss it with our engineers next week to find out why it works with v6 but not with other versions.

@Marcos Thanks for your quick answer(s).

@Webslinger: Please be patient and wait until Marcos wrote an answer. Maybe this thing will cleared in some time. Then you know who has the fault.

Like you see ESET is working on clearing (=fixing) this and they don't just say someone else has the fault. Now at least Microsoft and ESET are in contact.

So I hope this story will have a good end. :)

Edited by rugk

rugk, I'm not really interested in who is at fault.

I'm interested in the problem being fixed. I do not care who fixes the problem either. I just want it fixed.

• Administrators

The reason why the issue doesn't occur with v6 is that in v7 we fixed an issue with compatibility with 3rd party firewalls. As a result, a bug in Windows Filtering Platform began to manifest. We reported it to Microsoft with no response to date so we will have to resort to approaching them personally at the next possible instance. In the mean time, router's IP address will need to be excluded from protocol filtering in order for you to be able to access the administrator interface via a browser.