HTTP Proxy (Last Replication Error)

Good afternoon, we have an intermittent problem with the ERA Proxy, it connects and disconnects all the time. Check Firewall, micro-cuts and everything seems fine. We do not know how to solve it. Thank you very much.

Picture 2017-03-31 13_24_00.png

Picture 2017-03-31 13_24_20.png

Picture 2017-03-31 13_24_28.png

trace.rar

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, ernestodelisi said:

Good afternoon, we have an intermittent problem with the ERA Proxy, it connects and disconnects all the time. Check Firewall, micro-cuts and everything seems fine. We do not know how to solve it. Thank you very much.

What happens is that ERA Proxy (not HTTP proxy as is topic name) tries to connect to ERA Server regularly (seems it is configured for default 30 seconds interval) but connection (sending client logs) takes longer than this interval, which results in failures, as only one connection can be opened at a time. There are also many "out of order" attempts to upload high-priority logs to SERVER immediately upon received from client, which may also cause failures.

This error is definitely not critical, it only slightly delays response time -> logs from proxy are not sent to SERVER every 30 seconds, but every ~60 seconds as statistics shows that half of connection attempts fails.

Most probable reason for this is performance limitations. Provided logs indicates that this proxy is heavily utilized by clients -> there is many connections from clients and also many received logs, which may slow up whole process. Synchronization with SERVER is using especially database resources. I would recommend to check performance of machine, especially whether it is not on limits. As a last resort, connection interval could be increased.

On 31/3/2017 at 3:38 PM, MartinK said:

What happens is that ERA Proxy (not HTTP proxy as is topic name) tries to connect to ERA Server regularly (seems it is configured for default 30 seconds interval) but connection (sending client logs) takes longer than this interval, which results in failures, as only one connection can be opened at a time. There are also many "out of order" attempts to upload high-priority logs to SERVER immediately upon received from client, which may also cause failures.

This error is definitely not critical, it only slightly delays response time -> logs from proxy are not sent to SERVER every 30 seconds, but every ~60 seconds as statistics shows that half of connection attempts fails.

Most probable reason for this is performance limitations. Provided logs indicates that this proxy is heavily utilized by clients -> there is many connections from clients and also many received logs, which may slow up whole process. Synchronization with SERVER is using especially database resources. I would recommend to check performance of machine, especially whether it is not on limits. As a last resort, connection interval could be increased.

Thank you very much for the response, we have approximately 5 thousand clients connected to the server.
How can we modify the connection time from the proxy era to the server era to test if that works?

Regards!

• ESET Staff

You can do it by adjusting the policy for ESET Remote Administrator Proxy. Do it in ERA webconsole =>Admin => Policies => Create New Policy, choose the "ESET Remote Administrator Proxy" in the dropdown and then adjust the connection time.

Then assign this policy to a computer, where ERA proxy is running.

era proxy.png

36 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

You can do it by adjusting the policy for ESET Remote Administrator Proxy. Do it in ERA webconsole =>Admin => Policies => Create New Policy, choose the "ESET Remote Administrator Proxy" in the dropdown and then adjust the connection time.

Then assign this policy to a computer, where ERA proxy is running.

era proxy.png

After creating the policy gives us the following error.

regards

Picture 2017-04-03 10_00_26.png

• ESET Staff

This "LOOPBACK" error means that PROXY is connecting to itself, i.e. it has it's own IP address or hostname (or localhost) in "Servers to connect to" configuration parameter. Could you please double check that policy you created does not contains anything in this configuration parameter? If there is wrong IP address (i.e. 127.0.0.1, localhost,...) modify it to correct values. Also please check PROXY's configuration in client details view whether it uses correct hostname of your SERVER to connect to.

14 minutes ago, MartinK said:

This "LOOPBACK" error means that PROXY is connecting to itself, i.e. it has it's own IP address or hostname (or localhost) in "Servers to connect to" configuration parameter. Could you please double check that policy you created does not contains anything in this configuration parameter? If there is wrong IP address (i.e. 127.0.0.1, localhost,...) modify it to correct values. Also please check PROXY's configuration in client details view whether it uses correct hostname of your SERVER to connect to.

It is correct, in "servers to connect to" this localhost. Should I enter the ip address of the ERA server or the proxy ERA ?, the field can not be empty.

18 hours ago, MartinK said:

You should enter hostname of SERVER, i.e. where should be PROXY sending logs.

We have ERA Server on one server and on another ERA Proxy server, in "Servers to connect to" (ERA Proxy policy) we put the ERA Server address. Is this correct?

Regards!

Picture 2017-04-04 08_45_21.png

• ESET Staff
4 hours ago, ernestodelisi said:

We have ERA Server on one server and on another ERA Proxy server, in "Servers to connect to" (ERA Proxy policy) we put the ERA Server address. Is this correct?

Yes. ERA Proxy has to be connecting to ERA Server (or another ERA Proxy in case of multi-layered environment).

From what I could see in the tracelog, the proxy was working fine, but still with the loopback problem.

Thank you!!

Edited by ernestodelisi

On 5. 4. 2017 at 5:40 PM, ernestodelisi said:

From what I could see in the tracelog, the proxy was working fine, but still with the loopback problem.

Thank you!!

Check Agent configuration of that ERA Proxy. Maybe it's not correctly assigned.

On 7/4/2017 at 4:37 AM, Miami said:

Check Agent configuration of that ERA Proxy. Maybe it's not correctly assigned.

The agent's proxy was replicating itself. It was proxy = 10.100.8.67.
Where should I replicate the ERA Agent?

Thanks,

Picture 2017-04-11 14_22_12.png

Picture 2017-04-11 14_22_30.png

• ESET Staff

ERA agent installed next to the ERA Proxy needs to talk directly to ERA server, as it would report status information, where there is any problem with the ERA proxy. It is also used to configure ERA Proxy policies, meaning it needs to talk directly with the ERA server. 

On 11. 4. 2017 at 7:48 PM, ernestodelisi said:

The agent's proxy was replicating itself. It was proxy = 10.100.8.67.
Where should I replicate the ERA Agent?

In your case it should be 10.100.8.65 (ERA Server), like you wrote in on of your previous comments.

Anyway, check if your "ERA Proxy" policy is correctly deployed to ERA PROXY (10.100.8.67).