ESS 7 gui "Computer scan" and...

post-1603-0-45693700-1381964013_thumb.jpg

1. When I select "Computer scan" in main gui there is always some delay 2~3 sec.
Of course there is no delay except "Computer scan"

post-1603-0-19110200-1381964243_thumb.jpg

2. I requested couple times to add "Check for updates" in tray menu again since v.5 (v4 had it)
Is it really hard?

If you want to ignore... O.K what can I do... but I have a same question again
Do you really think that "Activate your product" more frequent use than "Check for updates"?

I could remember ESET staff explained why we don't need "check for updates" in tray menu because
ESET products check for updates automatically every one hour. In fact, we need to do this in some cases.
If there is "Check for updates" in tray menu. it is ease to access. Why not for user convenience?
Frankly I fail to see the logic behind this explanation because you add "Activate your product" and remove
"Check for updates" in tray menu.

Edited by mana

1. Selecting computer scan most likely calls a function to load all your drives including network resources into memory for quick access and load times for selecting what to scan. This will always happen on any software calling up the computer for browsing.

2. I agree, we need check for updates in systray. No its the easiest thing to program. However a company wide decision and would take thoeries, discussions, and similar debates before introducing; keep in mind.

It's not a big issue as it only takes 2 sec more to browse to the Update section in the GUI.

But yes I agree it is useful to have "check for updates" it in the traymenu. And I wouldn't mind to see it make a comeback.

1. Selecting computer scan most likely calls a function to load all your drives including network resources into memory for quick access and load times for selecting what to scan. This will always happen on any software calling up the computer for browsing.

I understand what you are saying. I haven't had any delay problem to browse main gui previous versions. That's why I post this issue. 

If this is normal in version 7. I don't mind anymore. I hope that ESET Staff confirm this.

I know its not hard to add command in tray menu. My point is that ESET does not listen users' feedback and their answer is not convincing.

When I use tray menu and see "Activate your product". I'm sure their decision for user interface is not for their paid customer.

My point is that ESET does not listen users' feedback and their answer is not convincing.

It is my belief that this stand-alone forum, was for the exact opposite reason you have described here.

To connect and listen to user feedback.

There are multiple threads here regarding user concerns and suggestions for products; while we don't make the decisions , we are paying customers who do have strong impact on the yes or no verdict of implementation.

So far i have seen ESET use, and accept customer wishes about 65-75% of the time. * A randomized percentage of my observations.

• Most Valued Members

I agree that "check for updates" would be nice on the tray menu. I use a Verizon air card for Internet and Eset will warn me when it's unable to update because I am off line.

I can see that if you are on a always connected Internet setup it would not be necessary. But then again once you activate your product the option on the menu is even less of a necessity. The first time I saw this I thought I had an activation problem.

No response from ESET staff?
I haven't had any delay issue to browse main gui previous versions.
Is this "Computer scan" menu short time delay bug? or normal operation?

Do you really think that "Activate your product" more frequent use than "Check for updates"?

I could remember ESET staff explained why we don't need "check for updates" in tray menu because

ESET products check for updates automatically every one hour.

I suspect items get prominence in the system tray to assist novice users get ESET working reliably.

In additon activating ESET is disrectly related to ESET subscription monitoring and thus financial viability so far more important to ESET than manual update  checking.

You could argue the interface would be clearer to novices if the "Activated your Product" change to "Change product Activation" once activation had occured. It could also be removed post activation but menue options which disapear can waist more time when users search for items that they thought were located in a familiar place.

Adding a new item to a menue is a design not coding decision. It decreases the prominence and ease of getting to existing items while making it easer to access the new item. Personally if ESS has any issues I open the full application so I can see at a glance what is going on (when it was last updated, any error conditions etc).

Is summary I doubt ESET have not heard your suggesting. Their decision to implement or not, is clealy another matter.

Edited by Patch

• ESET Insiders
When I select "Computer scan" in main gui there is always some delay 2~3 sec.

I've not seen a delay on any PC when selecting Computer scan.

Was this an upgrade or a clean installation?

In additon activating ESET is disrectly related to ESET subscription monitoring and thus financial viability so far more important to ESET than manual update  checking.

Is summary I doubt ESET have not heard your suggesting. Their decision to implement or not, is clealy another matter.

I agree this is ui design issue

Your assumption sounds reasonable and I also guessed so.

"In addition activating ESET is directly related to ESET subscription monitoring and thus financial viability so far more important to ESET than user convenience."

but we are not 100% sure because ESET doesn't say anything about that.

"Check for updates" was not new item. Version 4 had it in tray menu.

Do they must remove "Check for updates" for adding "Activate your product" in tray menu?

I don't think so. They just could add "Activate your product" and maybe they can add gamer mode... ect something useful commands for users

and I agree you and SCR "Activated your Product" is not clear to novices and misleading

Of course, their decision to implement or not, is cleanly another matter and as a licensed ESET product user

I let them know their design decision(this case) does not provide better user experience.

When I select "Computer scan" in main gui there is always some delay 2~3 sec.

I've not seen a delay on any PC when selecting Computer scan.

Was this an upgrade or a clean installation?

Thank you stackz

You confirm that it's not normal delay in version 7

I did clean installation.

I posted this issue on Oct 16 and ask to confirm ESET staff on Oct. 17
They show clear intention  they just let flow this thread.
I asked and confirm this delay issue couple times to ESET staffs and Keep mouth closed? 
I don't think they handle it in a professional manner.
I'm disappointing this time. This is one good example of bad business practices.

I appreciate other forum users.

It's hard to fulfill each user needs and still keep the program menu usable, each user can come up with a task he/she does so frequently and wants it to be right there for quick easy access. I think it would be nice if it was modular so each user can configure it the way he/she likes.

I think it would be nice if it was modular so each user can configure it the way he/she likes.

Like Avast you mean with all the shields and modules?

if Yes, then I would have to disagree, I have always thought that having everything tightly integrated is one of ESET's strong parts. But that has nothing to do with the choices in the menus though  :)

I think it would be nice if it was modular so each user can configure it the way he/she likes.

Like Avast you mean with all the shields and modules?

if Yes, then I would have to disagree, I have always thought that having everything tightly integrated is one of ESET's strong parts. But that has nothing to do with the choices in the menus though  :)

No I mean the program menu itself only, which is shown in 2nd screenshot in the OP initial post.

Something like Windows Start Menu, where you can add/remove items from the menu.

No I mean the program menu itself only, which is shown in 2nd screenshot in the OP initial post.

Something like Windows Start Menu, where you can add/remove items from the menu.

In that case I understand. Well yeah it can't hurt I guess. Or maybe simply add a checkbox in the advanced setup tree under (Update) same place where you can change your license, enable/disable pre-release updates etc etc...

"Ticking this box will exchange "activate your product..." with "check for updates" in the tray menu."   :unsure:

Edited by SweX

I reverted ESET Smart Security v6 today and
there is no delay issue to browse main GUI ("Computer scan").
* Acer brand desktop

I also install ESET Smart Security v7 another system
and there is a delay issue to browse "Computer scan" section.
* Dell laptop: Nod32 Antivirus 5 was installed. of course no delay issue in v5

facts:
1. only version 7 has this issue  * clean installation (no problem v5 and v6 )
2. It's short time delay only "Computer scan" section.
3. stackz (I believe he/she is not ESET staff) confirmed
he/she has not seen a delay on his/her PC when selecting Computer scan.
4. I can assume there is some problem between my two system configuration(decent pc specs) and v7
5. There is no single response from ESET staff/Moderators

I doubt ESET Moderators have not seen this thread (265 views)
ESET staffs ignore this thread intentionally so never confirm anything.

I posted about two 'minor' issues and ask ESET staffs about these things
ESET staffs show major problem.
What is major problem? They don't even try to communicate their licensed customer who ask about their new product in their forum.
I don't expect to see this discriminative treatment.

Keep mouth closed... Do you think that you choose best way? No
You choose easiest way and worst way

You are not selling just software. SERVICE keep in mind. Small things makes big difference.
You don't just let this thread flow
You flow your customer
You did Good job ESET :)

Edited by mana