Unable to update

hello

I just installed eset  on my windows 10 pc. On the home tab there is a Security alert which says "virus signature database out of date". When I click update it says "virus signature database up to date" but there still is the red security alert on the home tab. In the update tab there is a message "Last successful update: Update has not been run yet".

How do I run the update or what setting am I missing??

Regards

Popa

Edited by Marcos
Topic title amended

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same/similar problem - renewed license for 2 PCs; desktop updates OK but laptop hasn't updated signatures since 14/4/2017 (prior renewal). Reinstalled and reactivated v10.1.204.0, cleared the update cache, but still get the message "Update is not necessary" and "..virus signature is up to date version 15061 (20170309) (while the desktop is updated correctly on the same license).

Can you help?

• Administrators
On 26. 4. 2017 at 9:33 AM, hugh said:

Reinstalled and reactivated v10.1.204.0

Do you mean that you completely uninstalled ESS/EIS first and then installed the latest version from scratch?

• 2 months later...

Ok, I've been going around this now for 2 days.

Windows 10 version 1607

Eset SS early V10, home page warns me my virus signature is OOD

Update page says it is up to date! So update just check and says it is not necessary.

So I have tried clearing the cache, rebooting and updating to no effect.

So I completely uninstalled the software, rebooted, downloaded and installed V10.1.204

Now I get exactly the same result! Cleared the cache, rebooted, no change.

Last update remained 27/06/2017 both before and after reload of software.

Signature version reported before was 14855, now it is 15061, which is very strange given that both versions report the same date.

Incidentally my Win 7 machine running 10.0.390, reports signature version 14855, last update today, 11/7/2017

Any thoughts anyone?

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Gracey said:

Eset SS early V10, home page warns me my virus signature is OOD.
Update page says it is up to date! So update just check and says it is not necessary.

Please enable advanced update engine logging in the advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics and then run manual update. Next disable logging, collect logs with ELC, upload the generate zip file to a safe location and provide me with a download link.

• Administrators
On 17. 7. 2017 at 3:03 PM, Gracey said:

Apologies for the long gap, I've not been around!

The ELC log is here:

This is problem with v9 update servers not removed after upgrade to v10. Please uninstall v10 and remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security" manually before installing v10 from scratch.

Before you do that, please uninstall v10, do not remove anything from the registry yet but run Process Monitor as per the instructions linked in my signature and install v10.1 from scratch. When done, stop logging and provide me with logs collected by ESET Log Collector as well as with the Process Monitor log.

Thanks again, this is in hand. Meanwhile my win 7 machine updated to 10.0.390 a few days ago, and now has exactly the same problem! I suspect you may have a more serious problem here. I have to admit that given what I pay for ESS, this is getting very annoying.

It seems life only gets more interesting. I fully uninstalled 10.0 and downloaded the 10.1 installer, rebooted the machine and ran the installer (with the logger enabled) however the installer insists that I already have a current version installed, and of course terminates.

Next?

See above, I downloaded the installer having fully removed 10.0 from my Win10 machine as instructed, how do I now install 10.1 if the installer won't run?

So we move on, I managed to install EIS, and then install ESS over that, however it will neither activate nor permit "change license". I considered that anti-theft may be involved in this, however anti-theft log on is met with an HTTP 400 error, not a valid WS-Federation protocol message, so for now I am stuck.