Dynamic Group Filter based on AD / static groups / computer name

Hi,

I am missing the option to create filters for a dynamic group based on the computer being a member of a static group / AD group / AD OU or just a computer name mask.

I did find the Computer -> Computer filter, which lets me chose single computers from the list, but this is already very tedious for a dynamic group with only around 20 members, since I had to add a new rule for each computer.

I also need to filter out a group of around 250+ computers, which would be easy to do by static group / AD OU (AD & ERA are synchronized) or a computer name mask, as their names all start the same way.

Is there any way to accomplish this right now or anything planned for a future update?

• ESET Staff

I do not understand your use-case.

Filtering computers by static group is easy (in computers view). You can click on the particular static group entry, in the "groups tree". If you want to create task / policy / whatever, you can click on the cogwheel, and edit the entries for the entire group, or select "all" checkbox in the computers view, and then trigger the joint action from the footer menu.

Is your AD structure synced to ERA? Have you used "Static group synchronization task"?

You can also easily filter "substring" of the computer name, by using the filter / search bar, in the top banner.

My static groups are synced from AD, yes

First example:

I have a group of around 20 Computers, which need a certain different policy because of what they are used for.

Those computers are in different OUs from eachother and cannot be filtered into a dynamic group by any of the provided dynamic group rules, except for the "Computer -> Computer" Rule, which is very tedious to use, because you have every computer one by one.

Those computers are already in a AD group to apply certain group policies, so a dynamic template rule based on an AD group would make my life much easier in this case. Just being able to add multiple computers at once would be acceptable.

Second example:

I want to create a dynamic group, which has ALL computers, which have a certain version of a software installed to automate a software update task - except for the computers in a certain AD OU, the corresponding static ERA group or a computername mask.

I know I could create dynamic groups with different parent groups, but in my case that would mean I would have to create 5 dynamic groups with the same template and different parent groups, which is not something that sounds reasonable to me.

• ESET Staff

Thank you for your feedback. Understood. Solution for your use-cases is planned for ERA V7 in Q4/2017. Currently, there is no "quick fix".

11 hours ago, MichalJ said:

Thank you for your feedback. Understood. Solution for your use-cases is planned for ERA V7 in Q4/2017. Currently, there is no "quick fix".

Thanks for this info! v7 is getting more and more compelling...Hope to have thread with new features listed :)

Edited by bbahes