ERA 6.5 and MS SQL 2012 Express (LocalDB)

Hi,

im currently trying out ERA 6.5 in one of our branch offices. I cleaned out everything from the old ERA 4/NOD32 Antivirus 4 Installation and want to do a clean install from scratch with ERA 6.5.

The Server ERA 6.5 should be running on already has the MS SQL Server 2012 Express: LocalDB Module installed (No full Installation!). I already created an Instance "era_db" in the LocalDB and tried to connect to it, but failed.

I wonder if ERA 6.5 can use an Instance of the SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB? If yes, what connection info would i enter in the DB-Connection window during ERA 6.5 installation (there is no username/password? The LocalDB only gives me an Instance Name and a "shared Name")

Thanks for any hints.

• ESET Staff

It is not possible to use LocalDB variants of SQL Server. ERA (and it's installer) expects database to be listening on TCP port which is not supported by SQL Server LocalDB module.

Could you also describe why would you prefer LocalDB against full SQL Server installed locally?

It is not tested (nor supported) but maybe it would be possible to use LocalDB, but you will have to install ERA on standard SQL Server (or Express), migrate created database and users into LocalDB instance and manually modify ERA connection string (%PROGRAMDATA%\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Configuration\startupconfiguration.ini) so that it uses LocalDB instance.

Hi MartinK,

thanks for clearing that up. I wanted to use the LocalDB Feature of MS SQL Server 2012 Express, because it was already installed for a Veeam application. It seemed like a rather "lean" way to use a DB. But if it is not supported, thats the way it is. I installed the full version of SQL Server 2012 Express now and it worked so far.