How to wait for download to complete before scanning?

I download a website backup that is a .tar.gz archive. In other words, it is an compressed file that is compressed again. They are fairly large. 1.5gig or so. The download stalls and times out. Ekrn.exe consumes well over 50% CPU during the download. This is not a self-decompressing archive, so there shouldn't be any harm if the download isn't scanned in real-time. This is a single IP and a single file type. Is there a way that I can be somewhat surgical in excluding those downloads from realtime scanning?

• Administrators

You can set a limit for scanned objects in the web access protection setup to 500 MB for instance. On the other hand, if you download large files (e.g. iso images), possible malware won't be detected in them upon download.

Marcos,

I was afraid that it was basically applying the limit to all sites. It sounds like that is the case. On the other hand, would malware be detected when expanded?

right click on eset icon in system tray and temporarily disable protection :)

Cyberhash,

I usually have Outlook running and other programs that may not be running, but access the internet in the background. Many programs have auto-updaters that check and possibly download and install updates whenever there is an internet connection. I'd rather be more targetted.

An interesting (to me) observation: Using FileZilla in sftp, the download speed quickly settles into a dead steady 4 MiB's/sec. At the same time, ekrn.exe is using no CPU and memory usage by ekrn.exe never changes. I have set SSL filtering to 'Do not scan SSL protocol' which is probably responsible for the zero impact when using sftp. Now, I thought of excluding the IP address. That would be fine for HTTP, but the site gets enough questionable email that I don't want to exclude its POP 3. Oh well...