Would a fully customisable security suite ever be possible?

peteyt

• Most Valued Members

One of the things I've noticed over the years on these forums is people asking for questionable features. By questionable I mean the extra stuff that many other security programs seem to come with these days, but aren't often needed and often if anything bloat the software and the users computer. Things like toolbars that can be annoying and cleaning tools which really should be handled by other software.

However this got me thinking about something - Would a fully customisable security program work? By this I basically mean a security suite that worked on something like modules, with users able to pick and choose which modules they wanted. That way security programs could include extras that other people might want yet also give those just wanting the basics what they want. The problem is a lot of people seem to pick things not based on what features they have but the number of features. Phones are really bad at this, cramming 100s of features with a battery that can't often handle them, but knowing the more features they have the more chance people will buy. One of the reasons I use Eset is it sticks to what it knows, but I wonder if customisation could even work in a security suite. I suppose even if it could work, the price would be higher due to the amount of features. 

• Administrators

Users can choose between ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security (contains a firewall, antispam, Webcam protection and Home network protection ) and ESET Smart Security Premium (contains additional features like Password manager, Disk encryption and Anti-Theft).

• Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Users can choose between ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security (contains a firewall, antispam, Webcam protection and Home network protection ) and ESET Smart Security Premium (contains additional features like Password manager, Disk encryption and Anti-Theft).

Oh yes. What I was wondering and why I put it in general - do you think a security vendor could ever create a truly customisable suite. E.g. every feature you can think of but with the options to instal the features you want and leave the ones you don't during installation.