How to change the ERA server address in the ESET Endpoint Security version 6.4.2014.0

The following link shows the setting for the old version of the ESET Endpoint security hxxp://support.eset.com/zap/kb2716/

Any idea where is this setting in the new version of the client workstation? I have a laptop that has an internal IP address and now has to connect to a "external IP" using a proxy server in DMZ.

I can't bring the laptop back (or connect it to the VPN) to deploy a new policy. Can I edit the policy on the ERA server and add another IP address to the server list so I don't run in this problem again?

Thank you

Capture.JPG

• IT Professional changed the title to How to change the ERA server address in the ESET Endpoint Security version 6.4.2014.0
  • Administrators

If agent no longer connects to ERAS, you'll need to re-deploy it with correct ERAS and proxy server settings. Before changing the IP address of the ERA server, we recommend applying an agent policy that will have both IP addresses listed and proxy settings configured and the option to use direct http connection if proxy server is not available enabled.

This sucks. What if for some reasons I have to change the ERA server IP and I have 200 clients already deployed? Why do I have to reinstall the agents instead of changing the IP address like in the previous versions? The IP address has to be somewhere in a configuration file or maybe in the Windows registry.

• Administrators

Probably you mean Endpoint v5 which had ERA settings stored in plain text and connected to ERA v5 directly. As of ERA v6, it's agent which communicates with ERAS and mainly for security reasons its settings are not stored in plain text.

As I have already written, if you plan to change just the IP address of the server, just apply the appropriate policy with multiple ERA servers listed in the agent's policy before the original server is moved from the original IP address and that's it. Since you have already moved the server to a new IP address, the only solution is to re-deploy agent with correct ERAS and proxy server settings, e.g. using the ERA Deployment tool introduced with ERA v6.5.

I'll change the current policy and add a second IP address to the server list so I don't have to worry about "roaming" laptops.

I still have to connect the existing laptops to our network so I can update the agent policy.

Thank you

• Administrators

56 minutes ago, IT Professional said:

I'll change the current policy and add a second IP address to the server list so I don't have to worry about "roaming" laptops.

You can update the policy only while agent still connects to ERAS. If the IP address of the ERA server has already changed, the policy won't be applied as agent will not be able to connect to ERAS and fetch the updated policy. The solution is to re-deploy agent using correct ERAS and proxy server settings.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You can update the policy only while agent still connects to ERAS. If the IP address of the ERA server has already changed, the policy won't be applied as agent will not be able to connect to ERAS and fetch the updated policy. The solution is to re-deploy agent using correct ERAS and proxy server settings.

It makes sense. Thank you for your replies.

Maybe ESET will add this feature back in the next release so we don't have to redeploy the agent because of an IP change.

I got this link from ESET tech support.

hxxp://support.eset.com/zap/kb3701/

By doing a "repair" for the ESET Remote Administrator Agent you can change the ERA IP address

Also this link will help in case you want to create a new Policy for ERA Agent to connect to the new ERA Server

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_admin/63/en-US/index.html?admin_pol_planed_for_migration.htm