ESET Smart Security NOT starting after a Shutdown

I have noticed that after I have Shutdown my PC and started it up again later that ESET Smart Security or at least the GUI does NOT start?

At the same time Outlook 365 does not load either it stalls at the starting up phase?

After I restart my PC all is well?

- Win 8 Pro 64bit

- MS Office 365 Subscription

Do you see ESS icon in the system tray? Or is it that when you click on it the GUI doesn't show up? In case you don't see the icon, there is a slim chance that it might be hidden by Windows, click the small arrow next to the system tray icons and check there.

If that's not the case, open Windows Task Manager, and look for the two processes that belong to ESS: ekrn.exe and egui.exe, if you can't see one or both of them, please post back.

If both ekrn.exe and egui.exe are there but you're still unable to see the GUI, try to start ESS from the start menu, if the GUI didn't open, kill egui.exe process via Task Manager (admin elevation might be needed) and then try to start ESS from the Start Menu again. Post back your findings.

Ekrn and egui cannot be killed by task manager.

I think its a self defense design or programming module.

I may be corrected on this but i dont have any reason to decompile or parse out Esets software.....

Through taking ownership of ekrn or egui, i still receive access denied errors....

This may be because their software is not a stand alone exe, but a package of files.

You would need to take ownership of every single file to kill through taskmgr and i wouldnt even begin to know how many and which ones.

I seem to recall ownership giving an error as well.....

This isnt a topic i would like to continue though as it would help malware creators....

My questions for the eset team would be this :

Is office 365 or 2013 compatible with nod or ess?

For the OP :

Have you tried uninstalling or crippling office to not run and see if the startup issue persists.... ?

Do you see ESS icon in the system tray? Or is it that when you click on it the GUI doesn't show up? In case you don't see the icon, there is a slim chance that it might be hidden by Windows, click the small arrow next to the system tray icons and check there.

If that's not the case, open Windows Task Manager, and look for the two processes that belong to ESS: ekrn.exe and egui.exe, if you can't see one or both of them, please post back.

If both ekrn.exe and egui.exe are there but you're still unable to see the GUI, try to start ESS from the start menu, if the GUI didn't open, kill egui.exe process via Task Manager (admin elevation might be needed) and then try to start ESS from the Start Menu again. Post back your findings.

There is no splash screen on boot up or the tray icon when this happens.  I have all icons showing on task bar option enabled, so no it is not hidden.  I will check for ekrn.exe and egui.exe next time this happens.

Ekrn and egui cannot be killed by task manager.

I think its a self defense design or programming module.

I may be corrected on this but i dont have any reason to decompile or parse out Esets software.....

Through taking ownership of ekrn or egui, i still receive access denied errors....

This may be because their software is not a stand alone exe, but a package of files.

You would need to take ownership of every single file to kill through taskmgr and i wouldnt even begin to know how many and which ones.

I seem to recall ownership giving an error as well.....

This isnt a topic i would like to continue though as it would help malware creators....

You're correct, it's been long since I had to kill any of the two processes, and maybe I used Process Hacker for the job back then.

I don't think you need to take ownership of the files, disabling "Self-defense" in ESS advanced setup followed by a restart should do the trick I guess.

And you still can kill 'egui.exe' using Process Hacker without disabling "Self-defense".

There is no splash screen on boot up or the tray icon when this happens.  I have all icons showing on task bar option enabled, so no it is not hidden.  I will check for ekrn.exe and egui.exe next time this happens.

If this happens again, also check if the following registry string at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run exists:

Name: egui - Value: "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice

And if ESS service is running.

Cheers.

Edited by TGW

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem, occasionally Eset SS will load with the laptop but more often than not it won't. 

In the cases where the systray icon is missing there is one instance of egui.exe running in task manager but it is using very little resources (around 128K memory), when launching SS manually the splash screen appears, systray icon appears and another instance of egui.exe appears in task manager which uses approx 6500K memory.

The service is set to automatic start. I have tried removing and reinstalling to no avail.

Eset Smart Security version 7.0.317.4

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have problem, but I dont see this two files in task manager ekrn.exe and egui.exe. 

What I shoud doing?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Former ESET Employees

Do you have an ESET icon in your system tray or Programs list? Can you open the program window?

If not, it's possible you do not have ESET installed. 

• 7 months later...

To Properly use Task Manager, right click on bottom screen bar and select Task Manager, then select the Processes tab at the top, then scroll to the bottom of the screen and check off "Show processes from all users." if you miss the last step the 2 ESET processes may not appear.

I had this same problem where ESET wasn't starting up.

I have a great Windows tool that I found in a geek forum a long time ago. It's called WinPatrol and it watches over my whole system and prevents companies like Adobe from stuffing my startup folder with programs that slow my computer to a standstill. I started WinPatrol and looked under the Startup programs tab and noticed ESET was no longer there. I added it in through WinPatrol and it is working correctly now.