Smart Security thinks it is already installed

I have been using ESET Smart Security for some months now, until I could not get rid of false positive. So I uninstalled the package.

Now when I try to reinstall it the installer tells me that the product is already installed. Obviously this is not correct. Is there no easy method of removing the rest of the package?

I followed hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2289/#Windows10 and am shocked how complicated it is.

When I finally start the tool, the following happens:

Installed ESET products:
        1. ESET Smart Security

Enter selection of the ESET product you wish to uninstall, and then press enter (hint: to abort press 'q'):

ERROR! Your computer is running in an unsafe mode. To uninstall ESET Smart Security, please run this application in safe mode or with a live CD/DVD/USB.

I never came across such a bad uninstall solution.

2 hours ago, foneil said:

It's just saying that to run the tool, you need to be in Safe Mode hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2268/#W10

When I start in safe mode the MS Live login does not work anymore. Luckily I own several PC and was able to create a Win10 USB stick, boot from it, call bcdedit to delete the save mode entry, add a local administrator account and finally delete ESET.

As this seems to be a problem for many Win10 users a warning/advice should really be included.

• Administrators

ESET does not load in safe mode and therefore none of its parts can affect the operating system either. We are not aware of any such issues and to my best knowledge nobody else has reported it so far.

• ESET Moderators
On 3/14/2017 at 2:09 PM, VincentVegas said:

When I start in safe mode the MS Live login does not work anymore. Luckily I own several PC and was able to create a Win10 USB stick, boot from it, call bcdedit to delete the save mode entry, add a local administrator account and finally delete ESET.

As this seems to be a problem for many Win10 users a warning/advice should really be included.

I was forwarded this info if the issue is that you can't log in when there's no internet connection (such as in Safe Mode) and/or your MS account isn't available:

• If you are not able to login without Internet in Windows 10, the first time you login to your PC with an Internet connection do the following:
  • Start > Go to your account > a popup will appear > select Change account settings
  • There will be an option to use local account as administrator, choose that option. The next time you restart your PC, you can login to your PC without an Internet connection.

We're trying to replicate what you're experiencing so we can appropriately update any relevant content for other W10 users.