Unable to update ESET database

Go to solution Solved by TGW,

This just started this afternoon.  When the program tries to update the database, I get a message that there was an error downloading the database.  I am up to number 8915, which was successfully installed this morning.  

I am running ESS 6.0.316.0.  Windows 8, fully up to date.  Internet connection is fine.  I'm using the affected computer right now.  I have a Windows 7 netbook on the same home network and it is not experiencing any issues updating ESS.  I've tried rebooting the computer.  I've tried temporarily disabling the firewall.  These haven't helped. 

The file em017_64_n6.nup downloads, then it gets to 4/5 on the database, then I get the message that the download has ended in an error.  The log says:

2013-10-14 2:04:37 PM Update module
Error downloading file from update server NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

What can I do from here?  I am rather worried about this.  
Edited by Near_Far

• Solution

When you see that error hit the Update button again right after it, sometimes it works.

If that didn't help, clear the update cache, to do so: Open ESS > Press F5 to access the Advanced Setup > Update > Update > Clear update cache > Hit clear button. Now, try to update again.

!!!!!

I'd tried everything recommended and it didn't work. Clear update cache was grayed out. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried Near-Far's trick of rebooting. Still didn't work.

Then while looking for an update log I noticed this time that I would be able to clear the update cache. I did so... and the signature database updated. After an entire week of endless popups, "Dammit I said your computer is ***NOT*** safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" finally some peace and quiet.

A thousand-thousand thank yous.

• Administrators

We'd prefer to assist you with troubleshooting the issue rather than fixing it by hitting the Clear cache button. If we are able to determine the cause, we can take measures to prevent it from happening again on your or other computers.

Well, unfortunately, Marcos, I don't know that I'd be able to... excuse the word play here... "help you to help me" in this case. I sent Moderator Peter Randziak a copy of my Sysinspector.log and my eSET settings on .xml file, he imported them on a test machine and told me that everything worked flawlessly. I wish I could send you something promising, but it seems that, for lack of a better term, one moment it didn't work, and the next moment, it did. I know the problem first arose on a routine automatic update some time on October 7th. I noticed the pop up said that the automaticc update failed, and tried to do it manually and it still failed. I came here to ask about it, and the rest is in my posting history. That's all I can offer :(