Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e2a)

As of recent, I've been getting this error a lot during an application install (it doesn't seem to matter if it's Endpoint Security or File Security). What's even more odd is sometimes the application ends up installing and sometimes it doesn't. Can someone please provide some direction in getting this resolved? Thanks,

Task failed, try to install software manually.    GetFile: Error reading HTTP response data (0x4e2a)

• Administrators

Did you install also HTTP Proxy and was ERA Agent configured to connect through it so that installers are downloaded only once and subsequent installations are performed using cached files?

If no proxy is used, maybe a Wireshark log could shed more details about possible network issues.

We do not use a proxy. Do you by chance know what it is exactly that is trying to be read? I guess what I'm asking is, do I need to be looking at the server that the application is being install on, or do I need to look at the ERA OVA itself? I'm not sure where the call is being made from that is having issues?

• ESET Staff

This error indicates that received HTTP data were not complete -> most probably connection was interrupted before whole installer could be downloaded. In case you are not using HTTP proxy, it will be either problem with your internet connection, or problem with ESET servers which may be overloaded.

Have you tried to re-run task on failed devices? What is location of you devices, US, EU or ASIA ?

I've tried rerunning task, but the results are the same. The tasks are still failing. We're in the US. I'm running wireshark now to see if I can see anything during one of the tasks.

• ESET Staff
12 minutes ago, whitelistCMD said:

I've tried rerunning task, but the results are the same. The tasks are still failing. We're in the US. I'm running wireshark now to see if I can see anything during one of the tasks.

In case of US, you should see download of multiple small Metadata files from us-repository.eset.com and once this is done, installer package should be downloaded from the same server.

Ok, I'm still sorting through the wireshark capture, but I can see right away that there are (over 100 so far and I've hardly put a dent in it) TCP out-of-order transmissions to your servers. I'll keep digging to see what else I can find. 

Ok, I've sorted through all the transmissions to your servers and it's loaded with TCP Spurious Retransmissions and TCP Out-of-Order segments. This is happening regardless of what server I run the task on. So, we either have an issue at our edge (we're not experiencing any other connectivity problems elsewhere to the Internet), or there's a problem with the connection to your servers. Do you have any suggestions? Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? Thanks for your help.

• ESET Staff

Could you try to download installer file manually? For example http://us-repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/ees/windows/v6/6.4.2014.0/ees_nt64_enu.msi just to check connectivity. I am not able to verify state of download server, but it is possible that it is caused by preparations for upcoming release.

This issue seems to be resolved now. I tried installing on three different servers this morning and all were successful on the first attempt. No changes were made on our side. Thanks for the help.