Identical IP Addresses Detected

I recently upgraded to Smart Security 6 from Anti-virus 5. (Uninstalled 5 and then installed 6).

As soon as it was installed, a warning popped up "Identical IP addresses detected in network" and that has kept popping up for the past several days. Now, I've tried unplugging and replugging the router to give devices new ips, I've tried the ipconfig release flush renew cycle. I've tried getting new IPs on all the wireless devices I have (the ones I can think of, at least).

I've looked at the DHCP Client Table on my router, and NONE of the IPs that it shows match the IP that it says is duplicated, let alone two.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ah... I've discovered what is the problem, but I'm not sure of a solution. I have a Synology NAS plugged into the router, and it has the IP address in question. I had two folders on the NAS accessible from Windows as Network Locations, each with the same IP address. I never had issues with that before, it worked perfectly.

Now, I can't access either of the networked drives, and the NAS isn't even showing up when I search using the Synology Assistant. I wonder if ESET is blocking it. How should I fix this?

I've looked at the DHCP Client Table on my router, and NONE of the IPs that it shows match the IP that it says is duplicated, let alone two.

The router most likely will not let two devices have the same IP, so in your routing table your not going to see two devices with ident ip's . Only 1 with the IP in question.

Traffic to that device will be troublesome to say the least, hit or miss.

Trying to understand your setup.....

Pictures may benefit on your network location setups.

Did you map network drives from the NAS as shared folders on your network ?

Most likely ESET has blocked the conflict or at the least has not approved traffic to your NAS.

If you are having troubles you can switch to Learning mode or Interactive mode to prompt you for allow or deny on the ESS firewall.

See this KB article to help you understand how to get your networked drives from NAS back using ESS firewall:

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2118&locale=en_US

Yes, I mapped a network drive from the NAS as shared folders on my network (two folders). I disconnected them in an attempt to solve the issue, and now the NAS does not show up as an available device. I tried entering interactive mode for the firewall, and I was inundated by requests, but I didn't see the NAS show up. Also, the router doesn't show the IP for the NAS. 

If I temporarily disable the firewall, the NAS shows up. So, I can show the setup in the attached images (ignore the names, I chose the wrong ones to show).

post-1928-0-44916500-1381693346_thumb.png

post-1928-0-85469300-1381693346_thumb.png

Check your router again to make sure you dont have two devices with the same hostname.

In the instance of your network drives

\\ "host" \ Folder 1

\\ "host" \ Folder 2

Your host is going to have the same IP for each mapped folder yes ! However this is not going to create an IP conflict.

Your woes of IP conflict are not coming from the fact you have two folders shared coming from the same device.

Those folders dont get an IP , only a shared name. The NAS keeps the same IP regardless.

What i would do is go through your network adapters on every device to make sure dhcp is enabled and not some form of static ip set on any of them.

Your pictures are great and they both look normal and correct.

As far as disabling the firewall and getting access to the mapped drives.

Eset firewall is blocking this, and i suggest you find the rule that deny's access, or reinstall ESEt clearing out settings and choosing carefully whats aloud or not aloud, and pick your "MODE" by the link i gave you.

I found this link on resetting rules :

hxxp://kb.eset.sk/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN941&locale=en_US

You may give that a shot as well.

Hope some of this helps.

Edited by Arakasi

Okay, I looked through the firewall rules, but I couldn't find anything to help. I have since upgraded to ESET smartsecurity 7, and I also turned off my NAS. When I turned it back on, this time there was a popup about blocking duplicate IPs, but this time I had the option to stop blocking it. That created an IDS exception, which I can see in the advanced settings.

The only problem now is that it is detecting another duplicate IP. This one I can see is the one for my actual computer, attached to the router via ethernet. I don't know what the other one is, and I can only see one in the DHCP client table. I can obviously access the internet, even though my computer is theoretically blocked. I don't know, it's weird.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar issue which also only started after the introduction of a Synology NAS into the network. I cannot access any shares or the NAS itself unless I disable my ESET Firewall, the conflicting IP address it reports is also only assigned to the NAS and no other device. 

I've added the NAS to my trusted zone as follows:

1. New

2. Add IPv4 address

3. Entered single IP Address of NAS

4. Under Zone Authentication ticked IP Addresses/subnets in the zone will become valid...

Still no change and still can't access the NAS so going to try adding the IP to the exclusions list.

• Administrators

Did you also restart the computer after excluding the IP address from IDS? Alternatively you can remove the IP from the temporary blacklist in the firewall panel but we'd prefer restarting the computer anyways.

• Administrators

Restarting my computer has now allowed me to connect to the NAS - thanks!

This is most likely due to the fact that the IP was already temporarily blocked when you excluded it from IDS. As of v7, it's possible to remove IP addresses from the temporary blacklist in the firewall pane. A computer restart clears the temporary blacklist automatically.

• Administrators

If you open the main ESS window and navigate to Setup -> Network -> View temporary IP address blacklist, is the IP address listed? If so, does removing it from the list make the issue go away?

• Administrators

Please enable advanced pcap logging in the IDS setup, reproduce the problem and then send me the log file "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Diagnostics\EpfwLog.pcapng" compressed in an archive.