I just switched to Kaspersky Internet Security

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

After being tired of waiting for more than 15 days for Eset to release the final version of ESS and EAV v7 Final since its release in the German Language, and because I had a clean Windows 8.1 installation that I didn't want to mess its registry with any Beta software then uninstall and reinstall 7 when it's out, I got tired of waiting and threw my 3 year / 3 PC license in the garbage can and switched to Kaspersky Internet Security since they released the final version of KIS and KAV 2014 with Patch B which IS compatible with Windows 8.1 = hxxp://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=275599

I know the mods would probably jump in and tell me about this waves philosophy of how ESET release things and that it's not up to them to decide when it will be released, I fully understand but I am tired of waiting and being with no protection, now I feel safe again and ESET won't ever get my or my company's business from now onwards.

Great job from whoever decided to release v7 in a waves pattern, I understand if it would release in English the main international language first, then the following languages to come in waves but

1) It was released in German first

2) the gap between each language release is wrong to be more than 15 days who knows maybe a month also

bye bye ESET, enjoy your waves

I suppose the wait for an English version is a little frustrating.  I don't think anyone will fault you for switching to Kaspersky.  That is a great product.  Unfortunately, they are really bad about releasing products before they are ready.  Witness the fact that they are currently up to something like patch C on KIS 2014.  I have an active KIS license and have tried each "patch release" of 2014 and not one of them runs correctly on my system.  I know it works great on others' computers, however.

It seems like a user just cannot win ... get an early release that doesn't work or suffer a longer wait for a product that will be polished and smooth running such as ESS v7.  I am sticking with the latter choice from now on.

• ESET Insiders

Driver8, I'm in the same situation.

As I mentioned in my introduction here, I had been a KIS user for 5 years and was reasonably happy with the product until this year. The long and short of my story with Kaspersky is they've dropped the ball twice on me this year; the first time a dud KIS 2013 update left me with a PC I couldn't log into (Windows 8) and just recently KIS 2014 (with patch B installed) decided to use 1 full CPU core after patch Tuesday and no amount of reboots fixed it. My KIS licence is still valid for 260 days - it's a 730 day licence - but I won't be returning to it anytime soon. ESS does the job I want it to and it's noticably lighter on system resources.

Further, I'd rather Eset take their time and release something that works day one and they should be commended for it. Marketing departments seem to want new versions each year and I've experienced how wrong this can be first-hand. KIS 2014 shipped with a slew of known issues such as slow loading webpages, slow start-up upon log-in and remains, after patch B, the slowest loading AV software I've ever used. Unchecking the two concede resources checkboxes did nothing to speed up KIS 2014.

I hope Tweak Arena find what he/she is looking for in KIS 2014 as sure I didn't. Kaspersky make great software, it's just a pity it takes many patches for them to get there. ESS works great and Eset should release version 7 when it's 100% happy with the beta version.

Edited by TJP

Driver8, I'm in the same situation.

As I mentioned in my introduction here, I had been a KIS user for 5 years and was reasonably happy with the product until this year. The long and short of my story with Kaspersky is they've dropped the ball twice on me this year; the first time a dud KIS 2013 update left me with a PC I couldn't log into (Windows 8) and just recently KIS 2014 (with patch B installed) decided to use 1 full CPU core after patch Tuesday and no amount of reboots fixed it. My KIS licence is still valid for 260 days - it's a 730 day licence - but I won't be returning to it anytime soon. ESS does the job I want it to and it's noticably lighter on system resources.

Further, I'd rather Eset take their time and release something that works day one and they should be commended for it. Marketing departments seem to want new versions each year and I've experienced how wrong this can be first-hand. KIS 2014 shipped with a slew of known issues such as slow loading webpages, slow start-up upon log-in and remains, after patch B, the slowest loading AV software I've ever used. Unchecking the two concede resources checkboxes did nothing to speed up KIS 2014.

I hope Tweak Arena find what he/she is looking for in KIS 2014 as sure I didn't. Kaspersky make great software, it's just a pity it takes many patches for them to get there. ESS works great and Eset should release version 7 when it's 100% happy with the beta version.

To be honest, I was very sketchy about installing it because of the slow internet website loading issues that I heard, but maybe because I have a clean install of Win 8.1 and no other AV installed before, and I properly disabled Windows Defender from Control Panel and its 2 start up items, that I am not facing any issues. Eitherway, Kaspersky is the company that made me happy this time not ESET, and I am very sad to say this.

• ESET Insiders

To be honest, I was very sketchy about installing it because of the slow internet website loading issues that I heard, but maybe because I have a clean install of Win 8.1 and no other AV installed before, and I properly disabled Windows Defender from Control Panel and its 2 start up items, that I am not facing any issues. Eitherway, Kaspersky is the company that made me happy this time not ESET, and I am very sad to say this.

I'm genuinely happy that KIS 2014 is working as KL intended for you. As I posted, KIS had been a very solid product over the years but the last incident provided me with the impetus to change AV vendors and I'm extremely happy with ESS.

Off topic: I'll be upgrading to Windows 8 once the .1 update is officially released. I bought a Pro licence a while ago when MS had an 'upgrade for $40' sale in January B) I've been running the beta version of ESS on the beta version of Windows 8.1 for some time and the combo is as smooth as silk. KIS 2014 didn't work with Windows 8.1 release until patch B.

Cheers.

I'm genuinely happy that KIS 2014 is working as KL intended for you. As I posted, KIS had been a very solid product over the years but the last incident provided me with the impetus to change AV vendors and I'm extremely happy with ESS.

Off topic: I'll be upgrading to Windows 8 once the .1 update is officially released. I bought a Pro licence a while ago when MS had an 'upgrade for $40' sale in January B) I've been running the beta version of ESS on the beta version of Windows 8.1 for some time and the combo is as smooth as silk. KIS 2014 didn't work with Windows 8.1 release until patch B.

Cheers.

You do know that the ISO leaks of Windows 8.1 RT have the same hashes of the Final ISO when compared with the ones from MSDN right? So if you're on Windows 8.1 RT you're not on the demo, it IS the final, the updates to the OS will be pushed on the 18th of October though

After being tired of waiting for more than 15 days for Eset to release the final version of ESS and EAV v7 Final since its release in the German Language, and because I had a clean Windows 8.1 installation that I didn't want to mess its registry with any Beta software then uninstall and reinstall 7 when it's out, I got tired of waiting and threw my 3 year / 3 PC license in the garbage can and switched to Kaspersky Internet Security since they released the final version of KIS and KAV 2014 with Patch B which IS compatible with Windows 8.1 = hxxp://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=275599

You mentioned before that you installed Avast free, wich would mean that you installed Avast Free then you uninstalled Avast to install Kasperky that you now have done. How did this mess less with your registry instead to wait for the Eng final of V7. Not that it actually have messed with your reg, but we can pretend that it did.

In any case, a good uninstaller would do it's job and clean up the Reg for you, and all that's left (sometimes) is a few empty folders that is easy to delete. Or in rare cases the need to manually uninstall a left over driver or two.

I know the mods would probably jump in and tell me about this waves philosophy of how ESET release things and that it's not up to them to decide when it will be released, I fully understand but I am tired of waiting and being with no protection,

What do you mean by -> "Being with no protection", V6 is the latest fully supported version of ESET. That would have provided you with protection equal to V7. But it was your choice to not use the latest stable version, and you clearly didn't want to use beta software.

now I feel safe again 

Well if you didn't feel safe while using ESET then I can understand that you changed.

Good luck with Kaspersky, though since you have your 3 year ESET license left you can always use it again if Kaspersky starts to disappoint you.   :rolleyes:

The truth is that I will never understand why you maked sucha big deal about it when there is no problem or issue with the software itself to begin with. The only thing you had issues with was the release schedule, and that you would have been more happy if the Germans and users in the other countries in wave1 that got V7 would have needed to wait just as you, since you said that it's not fair.

It's not just to put a downloadlink for V7 on the website. There's more to it than that, like marketing campaigns, on the Internet, and in Magazines etc etc...

Example -> Honda may release a new car model in Japan first, and other countries to follow.

Fact -> Sony will release the PS4 in the U.S. first, and in their home country Japan as late as february.

Fact -> ESET includes a few countries in wave1 for the V7 release and other regions will follow.

You mentioned before that you installed Avast free, wich would mean that you installed Avast Free then you uninstalled Avast to install Kasperky that you now have done. How did this mess less with your registry instead to wait for the Eng final of V7. Not that it actually have messed with your reg, but we can pretend that it did.

In any case, a good uninstaller would do it's job and clean up the Reg for you, and all that's left (sometimes) is a few empty folders that is easy to delete. Or in rare cases the need to manually uninstall a left over driver or two.

I know the mods would probably jump in and tell me about this waves philosophy of how ESET release things and that it's not up to them to decide when it will be released, I fully understand but I am tired of waiting and being with no protection,

What do you mean by -> "Being with no protection", V6 is the latest fully supported version of ESET. That would have provided you with protection equal to V7. But it was your choice to not use the latest stable version, and you clearly didn't want to use beta software.

now I feel safe again 

Well if you didn't feel safe while using ESET then I can understand that you changed.

Good luck with Kaspersky, though since you have your 3 year ESET license left you can always use it again if Kaspersky starts to disappoint you.   :rolleyes:

The truth is that I will never understand why you maked sucha big deal about it when there is no problem or issue with the software itself to begin with. The only thing you had issues with was the release schedule, and that you would have been more happy if the Germans and users in the other countries in wave1 that got V7 would have needed to wait just as you, since you said that it's not fair.

It's not just to put a downloadlink for V7 on the website. There's more to it than that, like marketing campaigns, on the Internet, and in Magazines etc etc...

Example -> Honda may release a new car model in Japan first, and other countries to follow.

Fact -> Sony will release the PS4 in the U.S. first, and in their home country Japan as late as february.

Fact -> ESET includes a few countries in wave1 for the V7 release and other regions will follow.

avast! free was very good and light, but I have purchased a license for KIS and ESS 3 years each / 3 PCs, the only reason I didn't install KIS before is that their installer was not the one that included the B Patch and if you install the regular 2014 KIS, it will not update to the B Patch yet until the 18th of October, so I was eagerly awaiting either Eset to release v7 Final or Kaspersky to release KIS with the B Patch preinstalled, Kaspersky released it first, hence, I restored back to an image that I created with Macrium Reflect before installing any AV and installed KIS 2014 FTW

Your comparison of cars and play station is true but doesn't apply here, it is a security product we are talking about, and marketing methods to install in one country and not the rest is simply not acceptable, if it's ready in German Language then it should take like a day or two to release it in English. And speaking of that.... since when did German become the world's international language? I thought English was...

I understand if the wait was a few days but it's almost more than 15 days now

and pls stop being a blind Eset advocate, I'm an Eset user since v2 and have always loved its lower performance impact but this now is simply not acceptable and there is a post with many angry users on the Wilder Security Forums about this same issue! someone here needs to speak to someone in the management of ESET to tell them about our frustration!!!

Another thing is, users usually go to forums to get news and info and installers sometimes ahead of the public release on the main website! here, we get nothing but excuses and trying to make ESET look good but no insider info, nothing useful to the eagerly awaiting customer

and I said I was without protection not because I chose ti, because ESS v6 is NOTT compatible with Win 8.1, how many times am I gonna have to repeat myself before you get the point across in your head? and NO BETA for me, I used the beta before and it was stable! but I am not accepting to install a Beta when I know another language is enjoying the final version!

Another thing, the Beta won't auto update to the final version, so that means an uninstall, then a reinstall, with maybe registry issues, which means, another format or image back if you want a 100% working system

Whilst I can see both sides to this debate, I have to agree that this lengthy staggered release system is at best frustrating and annoys me every year. The two or three week gap in my book is too long, and the English version is delayed every year. I can think of no other vendor who delays this long. If they are losing customers then they should listen to their voice instead of carrying on regardless. Perhaps they could review this for next year?

Whilst I can see both sides to this debate, I have to agree that this lengthy staggered release system is at best frustrating and annoys me every year. The two or three week gap in my book is too long, and the English version is delayed every year. I can think of no other vendor who delays this long. If they are losing customers then they should listen to their voice instead of carrying on regardless. Perhaps they could review this for next year?

thank the lord someone sees my point finally and doesn't bash me for my legitamate request!!

I need an official answer from ESET staff not people bashing me who are ESET fanboys and blindly defend them!

I support ESET, but I am not a blind fanboy

thank the lord someone sees my point finally and doesn't bash me for my legitamate request!!

I need an official answer from ESET staff not people bashing me who are ESET fanboys and blindly defend them!

I share your frustration. Although it has yet to annoy me so much i have used another product it has certainly annoyed me. I did post ee this on wilders last year. If no one complains then things will stay the same. Lets hope they listen.

• Administrators

All ESET products have been fully compatible with Windows 8.1 for some time already. We are preparing an official statement on this and will publish it as soon as it is ready.

If it is me you are calling a fanboy, well I love the software and if that is all it takes to be called a fanboy then I can do nothing about it.

Note. I have NOT said that I agree with this release schedule, and I would surely not do it this way if I were the one to plan a release for a new version. In other words we do agree on that this isn't the best possible way for current customers to get the new version. 

And all I am trying to understand is if this is enough for a user who clearly likes the software as you say and owns a 3 year license for it, to stop using it plus cash out more money for another product because it isn't released when expected, and it turns out it is. 

I am not a blind ESET follower. I am just respecting their decision in this whole release debate that's all. But I don't agree with it as I already said. OK?

Your comparison of cars and play station is true but doesn't apply here, it is a security product we are talking about, and marketing methods to install in one country and not the rest is simply not acceptable, if it's ready in German Language then it should take like a day or two to release it in English. And speaking of that.... since when did German become the world's international language? I thought English was...

Yes it does apply here, it's not about what the biggest language is, or where the most ESET users are.

I think the reason is, that the marketing campaign and all that comes with it, was done ready and set for the German market and the other countries too, wich is one reason why it was released early there. And the English launch may be delayed simply because thy're not ready for that launch yet. But I could be wrong. All I know is that I can't change this by getting upset about it.

But yes a worldwide launch is what I prefer, and I am not alone in wanting that I assume. :)

I ditto the preference for a woldwide release and not the discriminatory method used at the moment

Cheers, though I am not sure discriminatory is what it is exactly, but it surely makes users confused and customers starts to wonder why they do it this way. And that alone shows that there are better ways to launch a new version. I mean ESET would surely prefer if their users would be excited about the new version Yayyyy!!!!, and not pissed because of a silly release schedule  :)

I ditto the preference for a woldwide release and not the discriminatory method used at the moment

Cheers, though I am not sure discriminatory is what it is exactly, but it surely makes users confused and customers starts to wonder why they do it this way. And that alone shows that there are better ways to launch a new version. I mean ESET would surely prefer if their users would be excited about the new version Yayyyy!!!!, and not pissed because of a silly release schedule  :)

I like the way you put it :-) I agree

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

we do this staggered release to ensure highest possible quality of globally released product and also to fine tune our communication of it to our users. 

Internal QA and beta testing doesn't always reveal all possible issues and incompatibilities.

Regional release is targeting huge audience so we are quite sure that the product is ready for the release and the communication about it as well.

By the way the product will be released globally on October 16, but don't tell anyone ;-)

• Most Valued Members

I guess I'm not in a big hurry to change to v7. I'm willing to wait for others to test it out on a larger scale then beta so I don't have to struggle with a possible program problem waiting for a patch.

If that makes me a "fanboy" then that's fine by me.

From the sound of things Kaspersky Internet Security could have done a little more beta work then they did to avoid patching a flawed program.

• Administrators
  • Solution

Hello Tweak Arena,

We are really sorry to see you go. We fully understood your concerns, but we feel responsible to respond to your suggestions.

ESET works closely with its partner network to meet any local market requirements as well as launch dates. We are open to agreement with our local partners on individual launch dates when the situation requires so and technical readiness allows.

The current release version of ESET home products 6.0.316 is fully compatible with Windows 8.1. After installation and activation, your ESET product will update the modules to the most current version to ensure smooth operation on Windows 8.1 (a computer restart will be needed).

ESET Version 7 BETA will update to the final version automatically without uninstalling (same registry keys and files on the disk will be used), so you don’t have to worry about it messing up the registry on your freshly installed OS.

regards,

Marcos

If it is me you are calling a fanboy, well I love the software and if that is all it takes to be called a fanboy then I can do nothing about it.

Note. I have NOT said that I agree with this release schedule, and I would surely not do it this way if I were the one to plan a release for a new version. In other words we do agree on that this isn't the best possible way for current customers to get the new version. 

And all I am trying to understand is if this is enough for a user who clearly likes the software as you say and owns a 3 year license for it, to stop using it plus cash out more money for another product because it isn't released when expected, and it turns out it is. 

I am not a blind ESET follower. I am just respecting their decision in this whole release debate that's all. But I don't agree with it as I already said. OK?

Yes it does apply here, it's not about what the biggest language is, or where the most ESET users are.

I think the reason is, that the marketing campaign and all that comes with it, was done ready and set for the German market and the other countries too, wich is one reason why it was released early there. And the English launch may be delayed simply because thy're not ready for that launch yet. But I could be wrong. All I know is that I can't change this by getting upset about it.

But yes a worldwide launch is what I prefer, and I am not alone in wanting that I assume. :)

In that case, I respect your opinion, thanks for clarifying

Hello Tweak Arena,

We are really sorry to see you go. We fully understood your concerns, but we feel responsible to respond to your suggestions.

ESET works closely with its partner network to meet any local market requirements as well as launch dates. We are open to agreement with our local partners on individual launch dates when the situation requires so and technical readiness allows.

The current release version of ESET home products 6.0.316 is fully compatible with Windows 8.1. After installation and activation, your ESET product will update the modules to the most current version to ensure smooth operation on Windows 8.1 (a computer restart will be needed).

ESET Version 7 BETA will update to the final version automatically without uninstalling (same registry keys and files on the disk will be used), so you don’t have to worry about it messing up the registry on your freshly installed OS.

regards,

Marcos

thanks a lot! I wish I had known this before, I wouldn't have created many angry threads! installing the Beta now

By the way the product will be released globally on October 16, but don't tell anyone ;-)

I promise I won't tell anyone, except the ones that have been asking asking and asking people. A few here and there. :P

Edit: Sorry how rude of me, I forgot to say thanks a lot for sharing this info with us! :)

Edited by SweX

Hello Tweak Arena,

regards,

Marcos

thanks a lot! I wish I had known this before, I wouldn't have created many angry threads! installing the Beta now

I guess you asked the wrong questions  :P  ;)

So what about the Kaspersky license...going into the bin or what?  :D

Edited by SweX

In that case, I respect your opinion, thanks for clarifying

Very good, cased closed then ;) And you're welcome :)

Hello Tweak Arena,

regards,

Marcos

I guess you asked the wrong questions  :P  ;)

So what about the Kaspersky license...going into the bin or what?  :D

Ill keep it handy to install for other family members :), or sell it if anyone's interested, the key has been activated yet, 3 years / 3 PCs