ESET service doesn't start when I boot up

mike92117

I'm not sure when this problem first started, but the ESET Service does not automatically start when I boot up. If I go to services and manually start it, no problem.

My environment: Windows 7 Professional

ESET Antivirus 9, latest version 9.0.408.0.

It seemed when I upgraded recently (probably from 8 to 9), I thought the problem went away. Apparently not so.

What do I do to get this working again?

I upgraded from within V9 and have had V10 installed since Jan 30th. Control panel shows V9 as installed even though current version running is V10.  I will try uninstalling V9 and install V10 and let you know.

Edited by mike92117

FYI - I uninstalled V9 but four reg keys could not be deleted:

\Software\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ekrn.exe
\Software\ESET\ESET Security
\Software\Wow6432Node\ESET\ESET Security
\Software\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\egui.exe

I'm gonna go ahead and install V10 anyway and see what happens.

The problem is BACK. It seemed that uninstalling 9 and then installing 10 worked at first glance. It definitely started up after a reboot. But I noticed just now it is back to its old behavior.

What do I do now?

• Administrators

Couldn't it be that you are using Comodo firewall? It is known that it's preventing ekrn.exe from starting on Windows 10 where it runs as a protected service. Please drop me a pm with logs gathered by ESET Log Collector. For instructions, see the appropriate link in my signature.

I still haven't heard back on this. ESET service does not start on reboot - ever. I have to always remember to start up the service manually.

Go into Control Panel. Then click on Administrative Tools. Then click on Services.

Verify that the Eset Service is set to "Automatic." If it is not, set it to same.

Thanks itman, but it is set to automatic. Except it just doesn't start. I have to start the service manually and it starts up no problem.

Do you have any other security software installed?

Did you have any other security software installed prior to installing Eset?

No other security software installed. This particular computer has been running NOD32 since Oct 2013 (3+years) and it always worked until a few months ago when I noticed it wasn't running.

At this point, I suspect you have a rootkit or malware driver that is disabling Eset's service at boot time.

Easiest way to proceed is to contact your local Eset distributor's tech support and have them run remote diagnostics and remediation.

Note that on Win 10, Eset uses the ELAM interface to load its service prior to any app driver loading greatly reducing the possibility of malware tampering with Eset's kernel process startup.