Renamed PCs on Active Directory

Can anyone explain to me how to handle PC Clients that have had their names changed.

E.G - When someone leaves the company and a new person starts we change the machine name.

So in ESET Remote admin the old PC is still listed and communicating happily.

I go into details and under Device Identifiers it shows me the new name of the PC - so the Name and Device Identifiers dont match up.

When I re-sync with Active Directory the newly named PC then shows up but won't get the agent installed via Group Policy as it's already there and communicating fine.

I then have two PC's listed, one with the wrong name but correct identifiers and one with the right name but no agent.

I appreciate I can edit the details etc but should this not update the information auto-magically?

17 hours ago, j-gray said:

There's a Server Task, 'Rename Computers'. Do you have that running periodically?

That's for Computers in Lost & Found though isn't it?

• ESET Staff
37 minutes ago, davidr said:

That's for Computers in Lost & Found though isn't it?

You can create new one or modify existing so that it operates on all computers.

5 minutes ago, MartinK said:

You can create new one or modify existing so that it operates on all computers.

Your documentation implies that the rename task renames to a FQDN style.

hxxp://help.eset.com/era_admin/62/en-US/index.html?st_rename_computers.htm

Does it also fix the issue of the miss-match between computer name and the device identifier information?

In my company we have a fairly high staff turnover so PC's are rename on the AD domain frequently.

• ESET Staff

What this task does is it gets value you see in "Device information" (client details) and renames computers to this = it does exactly you want. You can also select whether FQDN or ComputerName from device identifiers will be used.

33 minutes ago, MartinK said:

What this task does is it gets value you see in "Device information" (client details) and renames computers to this = it does exactly you want. You can also select whether FQDN or ComputerName from device identifiers will be used.

Thanks for the info. Note that I have not been able to find this information anywhere in your documentation or anywhere on the internet.

It appears to me (and many others from reading stuff on the internet) that everything in ESET 6 is way less obvious to figure out and many of your customers are unhappy at the change from ESET 5 to ESET 6.

Will there ever be a native app to replace the Remote Administrator 6 Web Console?

• ESET Staff

Task itself is documented in the ERA V6 documentation: http://help.eset.com/era_admin/64/en-US/index.html?st_rename_computers.htm (I will create improvement for the documentation team, that the prefix of the part will say explicitly, that it will rename the computer entry to the full computer name displayed in the device identifiers part of the computer details / appropriate report in ERA). 

What I do admit might be a problem (and we are constantly working on improvements) is to easily locate where it should be placed, and also, it might be related to the way how you was searching for the information (that was not able to provide you with the result you have expected). 

From the help link you have provided it is obvious that you are using ERA 6.2 which is more than a year and a half old. I would recommend that you upgrade at least the Server and the Webconsole by the means of a ERA component upgrade task, as the product is evolving. In a couple of weeks we will release ERA 6.5 which has a huge amount of improvements from the perspective of both extending its functionality and also improving the user experience. 

Concerning your last question, no, there will never be a native app that will replace the ERA V6 Web Console.