Run .bat or .vbs file from RA

I need to be able to run a .bat or .vbs file as a client task on each of my clients in order to uninstall Sophos and then install ESET.  (The AV remover does not work for Sophos, so I have to do it the hard way.)  My script works like a champ, but for the life of me I cannot get it to run on my on my clients using the "Run Task" option in RA.  What am I doing wrong.  

The "Run Task" documentation is non-existent, so what do I need to type here?  I've tried calling the .bat file (which then creates some server side logging and calls my .vbs), I've tried entering the .bat file's contents, line by line, and I've tried directly calling the .vbs.  Nothing doing.   

I am not super impressed by Remote Admin.  I've been working with it for weeks and it has been nothing but a non-functional headache...

• ESET Staff

Hello, in order to be able to properly examine your case, we will need some more detailed information:

• Is the bat file located on the local drive, or on a network drive (this might not work, as the ERA agent runs with the local system privileges, and the network share might not be accessible for him). If your computer is in the domain, you can surpass this limitation by configuring share permissions. Otherwise you have to bring the script to the computer somehow.

Could you also elaborate more about what problems you have experienced with ESET Remote Administrator, that you can call it a "non-functional headache". ERA is being used by thousands of users, and we are usually able to help them to achieve a fully working environment. If you are migrating from competitive solution, a lot of things might be done differently, but it´s our best intention here (and within ESET support teams world-wide) to help you sort those things out.

• ESET Staff

Technically this task copies your input (command) into temporarily created bat file on client, and executes it. Script is executed under AGENT's context which may cause problems, especially in case command requires access to users desktop (UI application).

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

Long time user and long time no posts.  I have been locked out of my account for quite awhile due to an email address changes some years ago.  If an admin could contact me I would appreciate it.

I too have the same exact question as well.  I have Sophos installed and want to uninstall it.  I was looking to use the RA feature to push a batch file I have written to my endpoints to uninstall Sophos.  But it is not working.  Could someone possibly assist me with this please?

Thanks in advance.

• ESET Staff

I would recommend to extend your BAT file with tracing (logging) mechanism so that you can check in what phase it fails.

In case your script works when executed manually, there are few common problems or limitations you should be aware of:

• Run command task executes under AGENT's context, which is by default LOCAL_SYSTEM. This may have impact on file access permissions, which may block access for local users. For example shared resources available for domain users won't be available.
  • Commands will be executed without access to desktop environment. Commands with UI requirements may fail due to this.

13 minutes ago, MartinK said:

I would recommend to extend your BAT file with tracing (logging) mechanism so that you can check in what phase it fails.

In case your script works when executed manually, there are few common problems or limitations you should be aware of:

• Run command task executes under AGENT's context, which is by default LOCAL_SYSTEM. This may have impact on file access permissions, which may block access for local users. For example shared resources available for domain users won't be available.
  • Commands will be executed without access to desktop environment. Commands with UI requirements may fail due to this.

Can this user context be changed in v6 or v7 ?

Not for agent, but for script execution.

Edited by bbahes

• ESET Staff

It is not possible to change the executing user.

For the second question, it is like it is in the OnlineHelp:

only locations in the current domain and available to user Local System