Have Any V10 Users Inst'd MBAM 3.0?

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:24 PM, TomFace said:

That's what I figured. I thought I still had a month or 2 before the REAL push...I just unchecked the version update box so I'll see what happens in the morning. Thanks C-hash!

Well it's been a few months since we discussed this topic. I am still running MBAM 2.2.1.1043 along with ESS 10.1.210.0 and not having any issues. Has anyone stuck with MBAM 3 and if so how is it doing and what ESET product are you using? I am still really gun-shy of going to MBAM v3.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, TomFace said:

Well it's been a few months since we discussed this topic. I am still running MBAM 2.2.1.1043 along with ESS 10.1.210.0 and not having any issues. Has anyone stuck with MBAM 3 and if so how is it doing and what ESET product are you using? I am still really gun-shy of going to MBAM v3.

@TomFace They have improved MBAM 3  a lot since this original thread was created. Have used in myself for a scan only and it no longer has issues with installing and uninstalling and freezing. Have never used it in "Realtime mode" along side ESSP, so i can't advise if it has any issues there.

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, TomFace said:

I'm not seeing any major problems on my Win7 x64 system running EIS.v10.1.219.

MBAM v3.1.2 is slow to load and added 8 to 20 seconds or more to my boot time, depending on what EIS is doing, and about 0 to 2 seconds to a page load in the Chrome browser. It's pretty resource hungry using around 207 MB of memory at idle and 360 MB scanning. They've added a "Lower the priority of manual scans to improve multitasking" setting which helps on the CPU load. Using a manual scan it takes 3:05 minutes to scan 314,339 items using about 16.5% of my CPU. The scan raised the temperature of my CPU to 128 degrees F. from it's idle of of 82 degrees F. I do not have any mutual exclusions set.

However because I'm still not convinced that I need MBAM running in real time along side EIS duplicating protections I'm using it like I did with the free v1.75, a second opinion scanner.

I'd still like to hear some opinions as to the effectiveness and advantages of running both in real time.

Edited by SCR
Added Info

4 hours ago, SCR said:

.......However because I'm still not convinced that I need MBAM running in real time along side EIS duplicating protections I'm using it like I did with the free v1.75, a second opinion scanner.

I'd still like to hear some opinions as to the effectiveness and advantages of running both in real time.

Yes I am curious about the real time situation as well. I also have HitmanPro loaded as a 2nd opinion scanner, so it's not like I am hurting for anything. The old MBAM and ESS always played nice together and complimented each other as our friend Arakasi previously pointed out (https://forum.eset.com/topic/1714-eset-and-malwarebytes-comparison/).

Thank you to the 2 of you for your experiences and opinions-it's appreciated.

Edited by TomFace
added link

19 hours ago, TomFace said:

Yes I am curious about the real time situation as well. I also have HitmanPro loaded as a 2nd opinion scanner, so it's not like I am hurting for anything. The old MBAM and ESS always played nice together and complimented each other as our friend Arakasi previously pointed out (https://forum.eset.com/topic/1714-eset-and-malwarebytes-comparison/).

Thank you to the 2 of you for your experiences and opinions-it's appreciated.

My Signature shows a number of "Real-times" used for years and I converted to MBAM V3 in May. I don't know V3 is there, even at 7 am Full Scans (some have posted otherwise).

V3 had 1 hiccup where a Red alert/not working Real-time Web Protection was fixed with a Forum post to me of the latest Ver dnload link that was installed OVER the current, and I haven't looked back since.

Fixes are usually "Install latest over current" OR Post results of 3 Analysis Links, they analyze and post back on the Forum what to do. Sppt is sincere and responsive.

I'd update and try it as the earlier horrors are of the past and they're so used to predictable issues they can recite the fix in their sleep - IF one is needed..

BTW, some may run Uninstall / Clean tool and then Install V3; After V3 Purchase and new KEY etc,            I Edited my V2 Key to the V3, then Chk for Updates where V3 was offered, and I followed instructions for an Install of V3 over V2 without issue.

Edited by COStark26

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, SCR said:

You should never use more than one realtime AV scanner. Both will invariably conflict and you could actually reduce your malware detection capabilities. This has been the recommended procedure for many years.

Additionally, some AV products in the past were designed to be compatible with other like products either out-of-the box or with minor configuration changes. Such is not the case today with almost all AV vendors recommending use of only one realtime scanner. Most will flat out state if asked that they do not guaranty compatibility with other realtime AV scanners.

Also, I believe the later releases of Win 10 will not allow more than one realtime AV scanner and will auto disable any realtime scanning in same upon product installation.  

If anyone wants to use an excellent free on-demand scanner, use Kaspersky anti-virus(KAV).

Edited by itman

MBAM v3 is quite a different animal than v2. I have been using v2 real-time for years with ESS without any conflict.

MBAM (if I recall correctly) even touted their products compatibility with many A/V softwares as it was anti-malware.

These days, MBAM is saying the new and improved v3 can replace your A/V software, hence the purpose of this discussion. That and the myriad of issues that v3 has had stops some users from upgrading from v2 to v3.

MBAM v3 is quite a different animal than v2. I have been using v2 real-time for years with ESS without any conflict.

MBAM (if I recall correctly) even touted their products compatibility with many A/V softwares as it was anti-malware.

These days, MBAM is saying the new and improved v3 can replace your A/V software, hence the purpose of this discussion. That and the myriad of issues that v3 has had stops some users (like myself) from upgrading from v2 to v3.

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, itman said:

You should never use more than one realtime AV scanner. Both will invariably conflict and you could actually reduce your malware detection capabilities. This has been the recommended procedure for many years.

Additionally, some AV products in the past were designed to be compatible with other like products either out-of-the box or with minor configuration changes. Such is not the case today with almost all AV vendors recommending use of only one realtime scanner. Most will flat out state if asked that they do not guaranty compatibility with other realtime AV scanners.

Also, I believe the later releases of Win 10 will not allow more than one realtime AV scanner and will auto disable any realtime scanning in same upon product installation.  

If anyone wants to use an excellent free on-demand scanner, use Kaspersky anti-virus(KAV).

Thank you for your reply. I have long been aware of the pitfalls of having more then one AV in real time. You could say that I learned the hard way. Back in my earlier computer days I had three installed thinking oh yeah I'm safe now. Actually I was I couldn't do a thing on the computer. It finally gave up and wouldn't boot. Can you say reinstall without a backup. 

At this point I guess the question becomes what exactly is Malwarebytes, Is it a Malware scanner or a AV or both.

Prior to version 3 it seemed to be a Malware scanner and worked well with Eset now it claims to be able to replace your AV yet also claims to be compatible with many top AV's as Tom points out. Pretty confusing.. I'm starting to wonder if it just being installed may be causing some minor issues that I'm having. One way to find out.

Yes SCR, with the evolution of MBAM, I too am ready to drop it...Lifetime license or not, it just may not be worth the trouble/effort.

I think once they stop offering database updates for v2, that's then end of the line for me.

Update: Checked  the lifecycle policy for MBAM v 2.2.1 and just decided to uninstall it. End of story.

Edited by TomFace
added update

• Most Valued Members

@TomFace You could always use V3 as just a second scanner by never changing off the free version and not entering licence details, or swap over to superantispyware free version.

Don't think i would drop any proper AV for MBAM as they do suffer from bad quality software releases, and they are far from quick in resolving things.

@SCRPlus it's a shame they don't appear to have a compatibility check built into MBAM, like other AV's do when you are initially installing it.

Edited by cyberhash

18 minutes ago, cyberhash said:

@TomFace You could always use V3 as just a second scanner by never changing off the free version and not entering licence details, or swap over to superantispyware free version.

Don't think i would drop any proper AV for MBAM as they do suffer from bad quality software releases, and they are far from quick in resolving things.

@SCRPlus it's a shame they don't appear to have a compatibility check built into MBAM, like other AV's do when you are initially installing it.

I still have Hitman Pro for a second opinion. Yes MBAM's v3 launch (from what I've read) left much to be desired.

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, TomFace said:

Yes SCR, with the evolution of MBAM, I too am ready to drop it...Lifetime license or not, it just may not be worth the trouble/effort.

I think once they stop offering database updates for v2, that's then end of the line for me.

Update: Checked  the lifecycle policy for MBAM v 2.2.1 and just decided to uninstall it. End of story.

As i said I have been having some nagging issues with my normally smooth running system. My boot times have been anything but my former normal time of about 45 seconds. I run a clean boot with the exception of EIS.  In addition EIS has been running, for lack of a better description, weird.

I too removed MBAM with their removal tool and the difference is night and day, EIS is behaving normally, boot time is back to normal from the up to two minutes or more. Looking back through the events and checking when I installed MBAM they both coincide. Even though I did not have MBAM starting at boot it was causing problems just being installed.

@cyberhash: I believe Malwarebytes has tried to be something other then their formal self to quickly and their program is no longer remotely compatible with my system.

1 hour ago, TomFace said:

Here's How-To Geek's latest thought on using MBAM (It's included in this article).

https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what’s-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

I can see the Microsoft "fanboys" pouncing on this one! All the points made about WD's lack of protection in areas mentioned and justification for MBAM realtime are valid in that context.

However, those same supplemental protections MBAM realtime offers are not valid in the Eset context since it has all those MBAM realtime protections. Assuming the evaluator is a "rational" consumer, why pay additional for something you already have; the potential Eset and MBAM realtime conflicts nonwithstanding?

• Most Valued Members

I don't think this thread was really about comparisons. Was more about compatibility and if there was any benefits or pitfalls of running MBAM (realtime) along side an ESET program.

V2 was a whole different beast all together, and now that V3 is actually looking to "replace" an existing AV product then it would be safe to assume running it with realtime protection along with any other vendors AV would offer nothing more protection wise and would "on a good day" hinder system performance.

It's still good as a second opinion scanner (without realtime protection) , and the same could be said for others like Hitman Pro or superantispyware , adwcleaner.

I doubt that many people will jump ship from more established vendors products and use MBAM as their single security option, and in much the same way i think WD won't gain much market share from other vendors products either.

They both might appeal to new users as a good alternative. But i think people who have been using security products for years will avoid them and stick to what "works" for them currently :)

• Most Valued Members

However, those same supplemental protections MBAM realtime offers are not valid in the Eset context since it has all those MBAM realtime protections. Assuming the evaluator is a "rational" consumer, why pay additional for something you already have; the potential Eset and MBAM realtime conflicts nonwithstanding?

That has been my exact feeling about all MBAM versions beyond 1.75. Everything they added was already taken care of by Eset in a more efficient hassle free manner.

@TomFace, Thanks for the link.

• Most Valued Members

I haven't had any major issues recently with it. I cannot do much when running a full system scan but general usage seems fine

The article did have some "sponsored" content by Malwarebytes (if you noticed).

Having a lifetime license, I have played with the Pro version 3 the past 2 days and got rid of it (again) today. It will not allow IE11 to work if Ghostery is installed (but Firefox w/Ghostery ext. seems OK). In addition, it basically locked up on me and would NOT allow me to change settings and would not allow me to deactivate the license. Had to go into safe mode to use the uninstaller tool and THEN use system restore (again in safe mode) to get rid of it. 

I do not need that kind of excitement.

Edited by TomFace

For anyone seriously considering using MBAM 3, they should closely review the test results of the last Malware Research Group 360 report here: https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/MRG-Effitas-360-Assessment-2017-Q1_wm.pdf

MBAM's overall malware detection score was the same as WD's with both coming in at the bottom of all products tested. Although MBAM scored higher in PUA/adware detection than WD, Eset blocked all PUA/adware test samples.

MBAM came in at last place in financial malware detection.

Finally, MBAM's ransomware detection score was 97% versus Eset's 100% score. WD's score on the other hand was 70% - dead last.

Bottom line - I really see no reason to use MBAM at all if you have Eset installed.

Edited by itman