Have Any V10 Users Inst'd MBAM 3.0?

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-30/

I'm trying to get the courage to install a new MBAM 3.0 Beta Installer that reportedly fixes a lot of issues that early users have suffered through.

3.0 is an AV substitute along with malware, anti-exploit, ransomware, etc. Security Features, so I'm surprised that no one has posted Anything in THIS Forum about MBAM 3 experiences.

Any ESS V10/ MBAM 3.0  feedback is appreciated when knowledge of - or - actual experience allow.

Edited by COStark26

Why are you surprised? ESET covers everything you described (malware, anti-exploit, ransomware) so why would you install MBAM v 3.0 along ESET?????

Edited by novice

43 minutes ago, novice said:

Why are you surprised? ESET covers everything you described (malware, anti-exploit, ransomware) so why would you install MBAM v 3.0 along ESET?????

I've run ESS and MBAM Premium (real-time) for years believing with no conflicts I was better protected. MBAM has been consistently recommended here for certain problem resolutions, so why not?

I just discovered 3.0 MBAM existed (3.0 expands its Security Features a lot over what I originally bought and it's Free to Premium 2.0 licensees) and want to try it believing if the two don't conflict / slow my computer down I'm (again) better protected. I'd certainly listen to ESET experts who offered technical reasons why they shouldn't co-exist.

Edited by COStark26

1 hour ago, COStark26 said:

I'd certainly listen to ESET experts who offered technical reasons why they shouldn't co-exist.

Not an "expert" opinion but you could figure out this by yourself:

When MBAM  was just an "antimalware" designed to run alongside your antivirus, it was tolerated somehow and made "compatible"

Now MBAM 3 claims to be an antivirus replacement, so in fact is a competitor; I can guarantee you that will be 100% incompatible with each and any antivirus on the market.

Edited by novice

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, COStark26 said:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-30/

I'm trying to get the courage to install a new MBAM 3.0 Beta Installer that reportedly fixes a lot of issues that early users have suffered through.

3.0 is an AV substitute along with malware, anti-exploit, ransomware, etc. Security Features, so I'm surprised that no one has posted Anything in THIS Forum about MBAM 3 experiences.

Any ESS V10/ MBAM 3.0  feedback is appreciated when knowledge of - or - actual experience allow.

.I have EIS v10.0.390.0 On my Windows 7 x64 Pro system and a lifetime licensed user of MBAM I tried several v3 releases but because of the problems, which were many, I have removed it. I found it to be to much of a hassle for the reward of using it. I'll wait till they get the kinks out to see if it works. If it does, great.

This is not to say that you may install it and be on your way. 

At the very least I would strongly recommend that you make an image of your drive prior to installing v3

• Most Valued Members

Personally i would give it a miss at the moment. Have tried to install each of the minor versions of v3 since its release and they all froze after install and uninstalling them was just as bad ...... the uninstaller never actually completed but after waiting about 5 mins i done a shutdown and restart and it was uninstalled properly without any further action.

It might work fine as a standalone product but personally i would never leave my ESET product and use any other vendors.

The combination of ESET and MBAM has been discussed here many many times (Arakasi did a wonderful write up on it). Up until MBAM V3, everything has been fine as they both work well together and complimented each other. I too have a lifetime license, but I am waiting on V3. It's my understanding that support/updates for v2whatever will cease like (maybe) May of this year (I'd have to check my records to be sure). I did try a early version of 3 and had some issues. So I'm just waiting at this point in time. I think there may be issues with the uninstaller as cyberhash alluded to. I have some time to watch and wait and then make a decision.  

• Most Valued Members

I to have a lifetime license and have been using Malwarebytes 3 for a bit. It seems a lot more stable the last few days as before that It's protection kept turning off. I haven't had any issues with eset and malwarebytes as far as I know.

58 minutes ago, peteyt said:

I to have a lifetime license and have been using Malwarebytes 3 for a bit. It seems a lot more stable the last few days as before that It's protection kept turning off. I haven't had any issues with eset and malwarebytes as far as I know.

Thanks for all of the the Comments.

I've been following the Really Problematic release of 3.0 and noted the Sticky (currently 1st in 3.0 Forum) that just appeared for a Pre-release Beta Dnload Link that allegedly Corrects Many of the problems I've been reading about.

Peteyt, IF you chance this Dnload they say they'll auto-update it if they make any changes to the final release . TomFace, I concur with your approach but I won't give up using it until the App proves it just isn't workable. I'm just biding my time, like you, for the most logical "trial" attempt, and the 3.0 Forum users will surely let you know how things are progressing - or not. The ESS users were obviously very relevant to my final decision. SCR, a user of my Macrium Reflect (imaging) has confirmed the Fix for the Ransomware/SVI file data garbage issue, and I'll definitely make the Image. Sorry you trialed it too early as they'll surely get this fixed.

Thanks again to all!

• Most Valued Members
20 hours ago, COStark26 said:

Thanks for all of the the Comments.

I've been following the Really Problematic release of 3.0 and noted the Sticky (currently 1st in 3.0 Forum) that just appeared for a Pre-release Beta Dnload Link that allegedly Corrects Many of the problems I've been reading about.

Peteyt, IF you chance this Dnload they say they'll auto-update it if they make any changes to the final release . TomFace, I concur with your approach but I won't give up using it until the App proves it just isn't workable. I'm just biding my time, like you, for the most logical "trial" attempt, and the 3.0 Forum users will surely let you know how things are progressing - or not. The ESS users were obviously very relevant to my final decision. SCR, a user of my Macrium Reflect (imaging) has confirmed the Fix for the Ransomware/SVI file data garbage issue, and I'll definitely make the Image. Sorry you trialed it too early as they'll surely get this fixed.

Thanks again to all!

I've updated to the Beta however the last few days I didn't notice any issues although the issues with parts of it's protection turning off seemed to happen at random. So far so good though.

It feels like version 3 came out of Beta too soon as it's been very buggy. However as a lifetime license user I'm happy that they are still honouring the lifetime license and that the lifetime license includes the ransomware and exploit stuff as previously you had to pay for the exploit stuff separately. I thought I was probably going to have to pay extra for it so was quite surprised.

Hi,

IMHO Malwarebytes v3 is the absolute antithesis of ESET Smart Security. Whilst ESET SS is one of (if not the) lightest security products around, MB v3 is a severe memory/system resources hog, is full of bugs galore and feels like you're using a product from the 1980's.

As an example, my Thinkpad X220 notebook with intel i7 processor, running with Win 7 64 bit and 16gb ram only uses ~ 60mb of system memory for ESET SS yet when i installed the bloatware known as Malwarebytes v3.05 it used ~300mb of system memory, made my notebook fan spin almost constantly and worst of all, was making my notebook battery last less than 5 hours when i got at least 6 hrs with no MB bloatware installed.

On the plus side, I didn't find any conflicting issues between the 2 softwares but I removed MB  v3.05 almost immediately. The other day i re-installed MB v3.06 of MB and the same performance issues were still there and when i asked the forum mods why they aren't fixed in v3.06 i was told MB has always worked this way!!!

Needless to say I won't be going back to MB v3 anytime soon even though I was foolish enough to buy a lifetime licence on ebay.... :(

Edited by psychopomp1

• Most Valued Members
29 minutes ago, psychopomp1 said:

Hi,

IMHO Malwarebytes v3 is the absolute antithesis of ESET Smart Security. Whilst ESET SS is one of (if not the) lightest security products around, MB v3 is a severe memory/system resources hog, is full of bugs galore and feels like you're using a product from the 1980's.

As an example, my Thinkpad X220 notebook with intel i7 processor, running with Win 7 64 bit and 16gb ram only uses ~ 60mb of system memory for ESET SS yet when i installed the bloatware known as Malwarebytes v3.05 it used ~300mb of system memory, made my notebook fan spin almost constantly and worst of all, was making my notebook battery last less than 5 hours when i got at least 6 hrs with no MB bloatware installed.

On the plus side, I didn't find any conflicting issues between the 2 softwares but I removed MB  v3.05 almost immediately. The other day i re-installed MB v3.06 of MB and the same performance issues were still there and when i asked the forum mods why they aren't fixed in v3.06 i was told MB has always worked this way!!!

Needless to say I won't be going back to MB v3 anytime soon even though I was foolish enough to buy a lifetime licence on ebay.... :(

You can maybe use the lifetime license on previous versions. Looks like they are trying to fix the issues anyways. I didn't think they had any lifetime licenses left.

1 hour ago, psychopomp1 said:

I'll wait until the year 2060 for Malwarebytes v25 before i think of using my lifetime licence again!

Same here.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, cyberhash said:

Installed it and it never ran properly, even trying to remove was an issue.

The old v2 is still fine

That's what I figured. I thought I still had a month or 2 before the REAL push...I just unchecked the version update box so I'll see what happens in the morning. Thanks C-hash!

Using Eset v8.319, Windows Defender, and MBAM v3.0.6 (non-trial/premium) as a 2nd opinion scanner. I like v3 but it doesn't act like it does with v2 where if you close the app via the X button, it closes the whole app itself instead of leaving it running in the background via system tray like it does with v3. I'd fall back on v2 but don't want to miss out on the fixes for v3 so I am sticking with the current one for the time being as it isn't much of a bother atm.

I only installed MBAM because there was cases in the past where some 0-day was not detected and only detected on MBAM or something similar to that and it soon became just a backup scan in case ESET doesn't detect anything. Same with Windows Defender which I think the trio work well hand in hand with MBAM only being used once a month scan on the system.

13 hours ago, Morisato said:

Using Eset v8.319, Windows Defender, and MBAM v3.0.6 (non-trial/premium) as a 2nd opinion scanner. I like v3 but it doesn't act like it does with v2 where if you close the app via the X button, it closes the whole app itself instead of leaving it running in the background via system tray like it does with v3. I'd fall back on v2 but don't want to miss out on the fixes for v3 so I am sticking with the current one for the time being as it isn't much of a bother atm.

I only installed MBAM because there was cases in the past where some 0-day was not detected and only detected on MBAM or something similar to that and it soon became just a backup scan in case ESET doesn't detect anything. Same with Windows Defender which I think the trio work well hand in hand with MBAM only being used once a month scan on the system.

The part about "I don't want to miss out on the fixes" means ... "It's working well but you want the continued improvements" - OR - "It's still Flaky" and you want to hang-around for the Complete Fix"?

What's your OS and how many attempts did it take to get it working satisfactorily - IF it Is?

It's depressing now following that Forum. Hope they figure this out sooner than later - Although there may be a million successful users and only these Post-ers are what we see.

• Most Valued Members

The issue with Malwarebytes protection being disabled seems to have been fixed at least for me

• Most Valued Members

I'd like to know if there is any real advantage to having Malwarebytes installed along side EIS.

Most all of the my searches on the subject refer to Malwarebytes in it's previous form and to Eset v9.x or earlier. I have not reinstalled MBAM nor do I want to unless there is clearly an increase in the protection to my excellent running Win7 Pro x64 system.

I run both, with no issues. I also use software restriction policies.  Defense in depth. No one product is perfect.

Case in point: the recently-discovered "Double Agent" exploit that Malwarebytes has already fixed, and ESET hasn't yet.

EDIT: It appears I'm too slow with this, and the issue in ESET has been mostly mitigated (and mostly already was -- kudos to ESET on the protected process issue).

STILL, I see no reason not to have, again, defense-in-depth. ESET is my primary security suite. Malwarebytes is a second line of defense, with manual Spybot scanning and website blacklisting/browser inoculation as an extra (free) step. I've noticed no performance issues.

Edited by JVWilliams

• Most Valued Members
6 hours ago, SCR said:

I'd like to know if there is any real advantage to having Malwarebytes installed along side EIS.

Most all of the my searches on the subject refer to Malwarebytes in it's previous form and to Eset v9.x or earlier. I have not reinstalled MBAM nor do I want to unless there is clearly an increase in the protection to my excellent running Win7 Pro x64 system.

I'm not sure about how good the new version is compared to the old version but I've always liked having a second scanner. No security program is perfect so i use second one in case anything is missed by the first

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, peteyt said:

I'm not sure about how good the new version is compared to the old version but I've always liked having a second scanner. No security program is perfect so i use second one in case anything is missed by the first

I agree about a second, even a third, opinion but I'm not sure that Malwarebytes is the one to use. I've been using Hitman Pro on demand in lieu of Malwarebytes. for a second opinion scan. It's easy on system resouces and free to scan but a license is required for it to clean what it finds. I use Super Anti-Spyware on demand as well. For the paronid days I have several other titles to do on demand scans

Aside from an occasional warning from EIS regarding a suspicious/blocked website, I'm happy to say that nothing has been found, ever. I attribute that to the fine Eset products I've used over the years.

Of course an on demand scan is way different then running Malwarebytes Premium along side EIS. This I find to be rather cumbersome and question the need.

Edited by SCR
Correction