Why is ESET failing so bad?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

And ESET products do have real-time cloud powered updates, the product get's small updates every 2-5 min since V6. 

HTH :)

Hello SweX,

Where can I read about the 'cloud' updates? It's the first I've heard of ESS having such a feature.

Cheers.

Hello TJP :)

Unfortunately you can't read about this official anywhere that I have found as of yet, I know this only because an ESET Mod as mentioned it a couple of times.

But, I have suggested to ESET (in a thread some where on here, I can't find it now) to at least mention it like a feature or something on the product page on ESET.com. As I think it is useful to know, since many users think that the VSD (virus signature updates) is the only type of updates that the product gets, wich obviously isn't true. 

Bitdefender may release signature updates every hour or there about = 20-24 sig updates perday.

ESET may release 3-5 VSD's per day....that's way too few some users say compared to other vendors.  :o

But these users are not aware of the small updates that come unnoticed every 2-5 min to the product.  :D

And one of the reasons that so few people knows about this is simply because...there's no info about that such functionality exists in the product to be found official anywhere, like on eset.com.

But now you know anyway, I don't know exactly why they don't speak about it more openly or explain it like a feature on the website, but if they don't want to write about it in a more public way then I respect that.  :)

• ESET Insiders

Unfortunately you can't read about this official anywhere that I have found as of yet, I know this only because an ESET Mod as mentioned it a couple of times.

But, I have suggested to ESET (in a thread some where on here, I can't find it now) to at least mention it like a feature or something on the product page on ESET.com. As I think it is useful to know, since many users think that the VSD (virus signature updates) is the only type of updates that the product gets, wich obviously isn't true. 

But now you know anyway, I don't know exactly why they don't speak about it more openly or explain it like a feature on the website, but if they don't want to write about it in a more public way then I respect that.  :)

Thank you for supplying me with some details SweX. I'm presuming it is ThreatSense/LiveGrid or is this something else?

Thank you for supplying me with some details SweX. I'm presuming it is ThreatSense/LiveGrid or is this something else?

That I don't know actually, it may be connected to LiveGrid in one way or the other. Maybe ESET can tell us more if we ask kindly....All I know is what I have said above.

ThreatSense is the engine that powers all ESET products. And LiveGrid is an improved version of the old ThreatSense.Net telemetry system.

And the way I see it is that if ESET didn't want us to know about this function or even talk about it then they shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. Wich is why I let people know about it when I see questions that are wondering about, or wish that the product would get such functionality when it already does. They shared the info in an open forum so everyone could read it so I am just spreading the word so to speak.  ;)

Edited by SweX

Really i agree with you but in some parts i don't.

I never Trust these Test Companies because if you see in every Test Bitdefender wins but according to me Bitdefender is worst. If you want to see test i would suggest you to see test of MalwareDoctor on YouTube.

Yes ESET lacks in Zero Day Protection & from the version 5 i believe ESET should have Behavior Blocker & RealTime Cloud Based Protection. 

My opinion is that the Youtube tests is not any better than the Org tests, but that's a different discussion.

Anyhow, the new AMS in V7 (Advanced Memory Scanner) is real-time based, before it was used only at start-up or when an on-demand scan was runned. But now it does it's job all the time.

the Advanced memory scanner, which scans running applications when their state is changed to look for possibly suspicious or malware-like behavior.

And ESET products do have real-time cloud powered updates, the product get's small updates every 2-5 min since V6. 

Well, I learned my "new" thing for the day B)! Thanks SweX. Now it's time to go buy some landscaping stone :P .

Edited by TomFace

Really i agree with you but in some parts i don't.

I never Trust these Test Companies because if you see in every Test Bitdefender wins but according to me Bitdefender is worst. If you want to see test i would suggest you to see test of MalwareDoctor on YouTube.

Yes ESET lacks in Zero Day Protection & from the version 5 i believe ESET should have Behavior Blocker & RealTime Cloud Based Protection. 

My opinion is that the Youtube tests is not any better than the Org tests, but that's a different discussion.

Anyhow, the new AMS in V7 (Advanced Memory Scanner) is real-time based, before it was used only at start-up or when an on-demand scan was runned. But now it does it's job all the time.

the Advanced memory scanner, which scans running applications when their state is changed to look for possibly suspicious or malware-like behavior.

Well, I learned my "new" thing for the day B)! Thanks SweX. Now it's time to go buy some landscaping stone :P .

Haha you're welcome, just spreading the word.  Yeah that's a nice change doing other things than what we do in here clears your head. :)  Sitting on your bum infront of a monitor all day isn't good....I never do that  :rolleyes:

thanks SweX for sharing information regarding instant signature updates (2-5 mins). Quite surprised to see that a feature exists in Eset and never mentioned officially on eset.com and wondering what is the reason behind it.

And a question to you/marcos/peter which i have asked previously..

reg. v7, I wanted to know what kind of exploits does "Exploit Blocker" is designed to block. (curious about it :) ). Does it block HTML,JS exploits?

• Administrators

Not sure where you heard that but the interval is bigger.

Hmmm if you say so then I believe you. But since you asked, it was actually you  that mentioned it in a thread over at Wilders, when the official forum was hosted over there. I will try to find that post but it wont be easy.

You said something like this when we were talking about advantages in newer version, V5 get's these updates once an hour when it checks for an VSD update, but in V6 they can come as frequent as every 2-5 min. And I said that's really nice to know.

As I said, I will do my best to find the post so no misunderstandings is happening here.

I don't know if this is secret or not, but can't you say the interval if it now is bigger than 3-5 min, so we don't have to guess or wonder more about this. And to correct me so I don't need to look stupid  :D

Edited by SweX

Ok here it is: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2200547&postcount=14

Though you didn't say every 3-5 min, but "every few minutes".

It was these updates I was referring to. But maybe you thought I meant some other type of updates? :)

Edited by SweX

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here it is: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2200547&postcount=14

It was these updates I was referring to. But maybe you thought I meant some other type of updates? :)

Bump bump.

Sorry for bumping but I really would like an answer to this to clear things out a bit. Because it feels wrong knowing I have said this if it's not true facts.  :unsure:  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Bump bump.

Sorry for bumping but I really would like an answer to this to clear things out a bit. Because it feels wrong knowing I have said this if it's not true facts.  :unsure:  :(

See above  :(

• ESET Insiders

As for Advanced memory scanner, it's not that it would detect new threats that ESET couldn't recognize before.

It could but only by startup and on-demand scans which did not provide real-time protection to users.

Excellent info!

I like the way the Advanced Memory Scanner map RAM data when specific events happened only........

because, if understand well, a continuous monitoring of processes results in performance lags..

But I think there is a little room for improvement as you can see below

Taking into account Maximum protection and Performance

HIPS Support :

+ Advanced Memory Scanner :

+ Whole memory scanning

...triggered on subsequent AMS approvals/enabled 

(not the first time AMS is enabled!...... as it may lag boot process on user logon)

+ Process exclusion

(as some gaming users are reporting performance lags when running ultra-packed applications)

see https://forum.eset.com/topic/570-games-are-not-happy-with-new-eset-smart-security/?hl=%2Bgames+%2Bhappy

+ Scheduled Tasks

...triggered on all AMS detections

(yes, AMS detections doesnt trigger the Scheduler)

Edited by toxinon12345

I have just returned to ESET Smart Security 7 after a break trying other bloat ware by being swayed by recommendations of certain security software, big mistake.

I am back and very impressed. My pc's seems very happy with the switch as they have burst into life because of lack of impact on system resources by ESS 7.

Great job ESET.

Regards Bob.

P.S Glad to be back.

• ESET Insiders

I have just returned to ESET Smart Security 7 after a break trying other bloat ware

I´m impressed too, as ESET is returning to the ages of the "Little NOD",,,

( New features were not an excuse for turning the package into bloatware  :)(Parental, Device Control, HIPS, Anti-Phishing, Anti-Theft)

- ESET msi package is only 70 MB in size,,,, the smallest package

- ESET continue leading the most advanced heuristics in the world

- Now their usability is extremely high as the GUI is unified and very smart for the end-user (version 7)

Edited by toxinon12345

• 8 months later...

I have used Eset for years and it has never let me down.  I personally wouldn't pay much attention to the tests as I don't trust the results.   I feel that some of them are sponsored by companies and the sponsors normally end up with a good ranking.  

I have tried many other of the AV's over the years but have always come back to Eset.   You pay your money and takes your choice.  I am happy with mine. 

I have NOD32 on ALL of my computers and unless something very unusual happens, I will keep doing it.

Sorry but I am in the wrong place but what I said still stands. :)

Edited by jadinolf