ESA on Server 2016 Essentials and RWA

I'm planning to begin using ESA for RWA two factor authentication (Anywhere Access on Svr16). I have three questions:

Can ESA be installed on Server 2016 standard with the Essentials role? I don't see it in the list of supported OS but I'm wondering if there are known issues, or if the documentation just hasn't been updated.

Can ESA be installed on a domain controller? I have a redundant backup DC that isn't doing much that I'd like to install it on.

During the installation of ESA do I need to select both "Remote Desktop" and "Remote Web Access" or just "Remote Web Access"? I want two factor authentication on the initial RWA login page, so I'm guessing I only need the latter but I want to make sure.

• ESET Staff

Hi

1. At he moment, we do not officially support Server 2016. We are planning to add official support with the release of ESA 2.6 planned at the end of March 2017. Essentials should also be supported.

2. ESA could be installed on any server in the domain. The particular system also need to have RSAT installed.

3. If you want to protect just RWA then you should check only that. But I also advise you to look for chapter 11.3 in Product manual - focusing in more detail when you combine RDP and RWA.

regards

v.

Edited by VladimirVladimir

I've installed ESA and selected the RWA Application Protection. The ESA OTP page is not displayed when logging into RWA. In the ESA Management Console nothing appears under "Web Application Protection". I've restarted IIS, and uninstalled/reinstalled RWA protection in the ESA configuration. Is this just an incompatibility with Server 2016? 

Capture.JPG.6bd237fed1c9de4acd0d90a9c1bc6a56.JPG

The manual I have ends at 11.2.2 and goes to Chapter 12 "API". It's pretty short on information concerning configuring ESA with RWA.

• ESET Staff

Hi 

not sure what version of product manual you have. But I meant this part: see the screenshot. 

Product manual LINK

Several things could went wrong, its hard to say but:

• as mentioned, official support for Server 2016 will be from ESA 2.6, so there could be some issues
  • in general you need to install core service and management tools, then install the proper plugin and at the end, provision users for 2FA. But from your screenshot I do not see the plugin installed, so definitely something went wrong
  • without a proper installation logs I am not able to investigate further. Could you please contact your local support, send them appropriate logs - they will take it from there and help you resolve this issues. 
  • Please mind the fact, these issues may be caused by product being installed on unsupported version of the OS

Regards

v.

08-Feb-17 8-43-35 AM.jpg

Thank you for all of that information. I'm configuring Remote Web Access though, not Remote Desktop Web Access. They're similar but two different web applications. I even accidentally selected RD Web Access during ESA configuration the first time and it returned an error that no such web application was installed.

I'll try contacting support and see if they have an easy fix for me, or if I should just wait for the next release.

• 1 month later...

Is there an official release date planned for ESA 2.6 yet? Support wasn't able to give me an exact date but since it's close to the end of March I'd imagine it's any day now.