Problem updating ESET smart security ('error creating file')

Dear Sir / Madam,

I have always used ESET smart security, and untill now I have always been happy with this choice. However, since a couple of weeks, ESET is unable to update. The updates can be downloaded, but at the last moment ESET gives the following message: 'unable to create file' (this is a translation, my version is Dutch, I guess this would be the english translation).

I have already checked to see if a temporary folder exists, which it does. I have already tried deleting the update cache. I have already emptied some folders which were mentioned on the Dutch ESET site (although a couple of files couldn't be deleted, because I am not the administrator according to windows, which, however, I really am....).

Please help me, I feel very vulnerable with my older version of ESET!

Boris

Hey Boreq

Some suggestion from me, :-))

Try to do a "roll back" of the database by following these instructions: How do I rollback virus signature database updates on ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? (6.x) If this does not help then do a new install, see here: manually uninstall

Regards Janus

Thanks Janus, I will try that! Do you think I will be able to update again after that?

Edit: I can't seem to find the option to rollback! In my version of smart security, in advanced settings, under the folder 'updates' I can only see the subfolder 'updates' and not 'advanced settings'. This means, I can't find where to rollback!

Marcos, I have already tried to do that, but it didn't work. There also were a few files which I could not delete. I am administrator, but somehow I still can't change everything... Even in safe modus!

Edited by Boreq

Okay, so I tried reinstalling ESET. But now everything is failing. I can't activate my product, because there is a failure in communication with the activationserver... The anti-virus function doesn't work because of an error with the installation, and the update still has the same problem... What is going on? :-o

Before you attempted to re-install, did you first to an uninstall ? If not then do that. Also FYI. That "roll-back" function that Janus mention is not available in all version, so you probably use an older version were it hasn't been implemented yet.

In any case do like this, Uninstall you current version, then install it from scratch so it will be a fresh installation.

But you can also download a newer version if you like. Since it sounds like you use V5 wich doesn't have the roll-back function. So you could download V6 instead and put in your license during the installation process.

HTH :)

I'm having this same problem too. All I get is, Virus Signature Database update ended with an error  Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error Virus Signature Database update ended with an error

Nothing any more specific than that.

How do I take a screen shot of this? Print Screen didn't work, and I don't have any software to create a video.

I tried doing the roll back suggested by Janus and I still get the same error message when I try to update. It's been almost 48 hours since the problem first occurred, and now I get absolutely ceaseless spam-deluge of popups, "Your computer is at risk" making doing any other activity impossible because all programs I run are brute-force minimized to make room for the endless popups.

I'm using eSET Smart Security version 6.0.316.0 64-bit for Windows 7.

Virus signature database: 8888 (20131007)

Update module: 1043 (20130415)

Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1410 (20130926)

Advanced heuristics module: 1143 (20130909)

Archive support module: 1180 (20130930)

Cleaner module: 1077 (20130924)

Anti-Stealth support module: 1053 (20130906)

Personal firewall module: 1136 (20130625)

Internet protection module: 1083 (20130923)

Web content filter module: 1028 (20121113)

Database module: 1040 (20130822)

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1, 3.00 ghz core i5-2320 CPU, with 8 GB of RAM.

EDIT: I found another thread devoted to this topic, and the posted screenshot by the user who started that thread, perfectly matches the error message appearing when I try to update. Here's a link directly to that thread:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/927-problem-with-update/

And here's a link directly to his screenshot, it perfectly matches what mine would be if I knew how to take one, except that my version is registered and paid for, not a free trial.

hxxp://img.techpowerup.org/130908/Erorr1.png

Marcos suggested to that user that (s)he clear the update cache; I tried to do this and found that button grayed out.

Edited by NYCCaribou

Are you guys installing on already infected systems with the computer compromised ?

You may need to repair a few registry issues prior to installing ESET.

If the access to c:\windows\temp is cutoff, you cant install.

If you have security center issues or windows installer issues , or huge system impacting issues that do not let you install programs, repair needs to be done first through safe mode or similar, and then install the AV to cleanup the rest or begin prevention of unwanted files and apps.

I've had eSET for at least two years, so I doubt Arakasi's suggestion is relevant, unless my computer has been infected with something for over two years, and only now, since I first posted, has the virus signature database stopped updating. I sent a settings export and sysinspector log to moderator Peter Randziak (sp?) via private message. I'm very nervous about having sent the log because you're forced to leave the name as the program saves it, which gives whoever views the log, the 'name' of your computer. I'd thought we were supposed to never reveal this?

Anyway, I'm hoping it will gives him some insight on what I might need to do. My eSET still won't update its signature database and the "Your computer is *NOT* safe" popups are getting very maddening.

@NYCCaribou

If everything else fails, doing an uninstall followed by a fresh install without importing any settings is always worth a shot.