Automatic update ESET component

Jesposito

Hello,

Since v6 ESET product don't update component automatically.

It was a bit hard in v5 to update "PCU", but that was working well in automatic.

I can't do the same with v6. I have to push new install every time.

I still have some EES v6.2.2021.1 on my network. I would like to stay up-to-date as I did with v5.

I don't have this problem with ERA Agent because I do GPO software installation.

Application name
Application version
Count
ESET Endpoint Security
ESET Endpoint Security
ESET Endpoint Security
ESET Endpoint Security

Clipboard05.png

• Administrators

Yeah, upgrade using a dynamic group is much easier than fiddling around nup files and update.ver that were downloadable from a KB for Endpoint v5.

The good news is that ERA v7 will include a mechanism for upgrading to the latest version with ease.

Thank you for your anwsers.

Do you confirm that the configuration option for PCU are not working ?

I think updating with dynamic group is a bad idea for those reasons :

• When v6.5 is out, I have to change my dynamic group by hand to change version number and change by hand my installation task to select the latest EES version. This is not really automatic.
  • Task are executed on dynamic group when the computer is 1st added to this group. If for example I had Windows Update, the installation will fail saying that the computer is waiting for a reboot and will not retry to update ESET product.

Am I right ?

• Administrators

The setting works but since we haven't released any PCU for business products, it has basically no effect. Regarding dynamic groups, of course, it's necessary to adjust the version number in the appropriate rule and bind a new install task to it. Still I think it requires less effort than downloading nup files and editing update.ver.

As I wrote, ERA v7 will have upgrading to the latest version significantly improved.

Seriously, v6 does not offer automatic module update?

It does. However, the program itself does not update automatically. It's not possible to test upgrade on millions of different system configurations and because of tight integration with the operating system, sometimes issues may occur. It's similar to installing a service pack for the OS for instance. No problems should occur but since there are millions of various system configurations, on some it may not be as seamless as it should.

On 2/4/2017 at 8:13 AM, bbahes said:

It does. However, the program itself does not update automatically. It's not possible to test upgrade on millions of different system configurations and because of tight integration with the operating system, sometimes issues may occur. It's similar to installing a service pack for the OS for instance. No problems should occur but since there are millions of various system configurations, on some it may not be as seamless as it should.

I wish I have answered this myself...