Smart Scan taking longer?

Go to solution Solved by PaulH,

This is probably a Windows 7 issue, but hopefully someone here can give me some suggestions.

I am using ESS version 6.0.316.0 with the latest updates.  I've configured a nightly Smart Scan to start at 2:00AM.  (I know, that's probably overkill.)  Ordinarily the scan requires 3 hours or so.  But sometime in the past few weeks, the scan started taking 5 or 6 hours or more.  Examining the scan log, I see that the 3 hour scan examined something in the order of 3 million objects.  But occasionally (and here is the mystery) the number of scanned objects would jump by approximately 1 million.

I am not sure why the number of objects would suddenly get so large.  This PC gets regular usage, including normal web surfing, email, etc, but not what might be considered "heavy" downloading.  Or is the object count a red herring?  Have recent changes to eSet resulted in a slower and/or more thorough scan?  If so, can I configure a slightly quicker scan?

Thanks

I can only speak for myself, but I sleep better at night knowing my daily scan is all set up. ;) After all, doing a daily scan does not cost you any extra...

Edited by TomFace

It could be because of changes in the archive module which is now able to unpack more files than before.

Is there an option to not deep-scan archives?  For what it's worth, I've switched off the nightly scan and enabled idle-time scanning instead.  That takes longer, but is less obtrusive than an on-demand scan.

It could be because of changes in the archive module which is now able to unpack more files than before.

Is there an option to not deep-scan archives?  

I can't check this myself at the moment, but I think there is an option called "scan inside archives" or something like that in the setup tree.  :unsure:

• Administrators

Yes, archives and self-extracting archives can be disabled separately and it's also possible to set limits for scanning archives. However, every exception lowers the overall protection capabilities as malware can also spread in archives larger than 100 MB.

• Solution

Yes, archives and self-extracting archives can be disabled separately and it's also possible to set limits for scanning archives. However, every exception lowers the overall protection capabilities as malware can also spread in archives larger than 100 MB.

I'd rather not weaken the scanning and detection capabilities, so I think I'll continue to use Idle-Time Scan with the default settings.