Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mfichera

Fake/Scam Websites

We've notice an increase in users encountering fake/scam tech support websites.

For example, user will click a link from Google or Bing and they will see a pop up from their web browser saying there's an infection and they need to call phone number.

Is there anything policy/software wise I should do to better protect the users from scams like this?

We run current versions of EES/EEA v6 on Mac and PC.

Submitting the URL to ESET would be a good starting point, if its a fake tech support it will get added to the blocklist when its checked. You can also go into the advanced setup and add items manually to a blocklist , if you have multiple computers running that you want to use the same blocking rules with , you can create a text file and import it into each machine to save a lot of effort..

block.jpg

It doesn't make much sense to block it in the program; it wouldn't make protection better given that hundreds or thousands of new scam domains emerge on a daily basis and are alive only for a short time. If such scam website is not detected by a signature, email the url(s) to samples[at]eset.com.

On 1/27/2017 at 11:57 PM, Marcos said:

It doesn't make much sense to block it in the program; it wouldn't make protection better given that hundreds or thousands of new scam domains emerge on a daily basis and are alive only for a short time. If such scam website is not detected by a signature, email the url(s) to samples[at]eset.com.

I always submit them to eset when one of these sites are found. Is there anything else I should be doing to protect my users? Between my network's UTM and eset, I fee like we shouldn't be encountering scam sites.