What is the Initial Scan and can it be re-run?

The initial scan always seems to run before ESET finishes updating after install, so won't that mean ESET ran the scan with outdated signatures?

Since the scan claims to optimize future scanning, can this be re-run to make sure it use up to date signatures?

You could do this with V9 in the task scheduler, but its been removed in V10?

• Administrators

The initial scan is meant to improve performance by skipping whitelisted files during future scans. It starts with some delay after installation. How long does it take on your machine to download the initial update?

You can run Smart scan if you cancel the initial scan.

The update is 70mb, takes about 20 seconds to install but the initial scan starts immediately, about 5 seconds after activation.

I always download the installer fresh before installing, but it seems signatures are not bundled.

Does it mean my initial scans are using no signatures? And there is no way to manually re-run this whitelist scan? In V9 I think it was called "first scan" or something, you could just re-run it in the scheduler.

Edit... If it uses none, or old signatures, how do I know its not white listing malware?

Edited by VidelX

I've tried another machine, same problem.

I'm concerned about the white listing now, I'm surprised there appears to be no option to reset and rerun. A reinstall obviously won't work here, since initial scan wins the race every time.

What can be done about this? I can't use Eset unless I trust it, right now I don't, not if it is optimizing itself on old signatures.

No problems on my end, 100mb/s connection, i7 6600, fresh Windows install.

Is smart scan the same as initial scan? I ran a smart scan and it takes 8 seconds, the initial scan takes about 5 minutes.

Sorry for being impatient, but I need my systems for work.

I've tried contacting support prior to opening this topic and have no response.

Just to clarify, the "initial scan" runs before EIS finishes updating its signatures. 

Is there a way to delay or manually initiate the initial scan?

• Administrators

In v8 a scheduler task is created for the initial scan. However, instead of editing it I would personally rather run a smart scan which is just 1-3 clicks away. The initial scan is same as any other scans run manually.