Yet another issue after ESET NOD32 10.0.386 update

Samoréen

Hi,

Now that I have updated ESET NOD32 to version 10.0.386, I have a new problem. After each boot, I systematically get a notification from Windows telling me that both Windows Defender and ESET NOD32 are disabled. See ESET2.JPG. ESET itself shows a warning ESET1.JPG. And the ESET user interface displays strange numbers along with each section name (ESET3.JPG). In the dialog box shown by ESET2.JPG, I set ESET NOD32 ON but after each reboot, the same mess starts again. This problem is new to version 10.0.386.

Eset1.JPG

Eset2.JPG

Eset3.JPG

Edited by Samoréen

• Administrators

Probably something's wrong with the WMI repository. You can try the following:

1, Run "ecmd.exe /registeravsoft" in the ESET install folder with elevated administrator rights and restart the computer.
2, Rebuild the WMI repository as per the instructions at https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2009/04/13/wmi-rebuilding-the-wmi-repository/

The WMI rebuild didn't help. The WMI consistency check says "WMI repository is consistent". Anyway, I didn't have any problem with the previous version. This bug appeared just after installing version 386.

Sigh! I miss the times when ESET NOD32 was an "install-and-forget" software. Times are a changin'.

OK. Problem spotted after looking at the log files. This is a similar problem as the one described here :

The cause is the same (Eset drivers not installed) but with different consequences. The fix is the same, though :

This problem with these drivers that are not installed (epfwwfpr and eamonm) is not new. It appeared on my system with version 9.0.402 and now, I have to apply the fix after each release or update. I never got any help from the support about this issue.

Edited by Samoréen

Hi,

The Event Viewer shows an error at ESET NOD32 installation time when trying to install eelam.sys. This driver is the only one that has a time stamp of 07-20-2016. Is it valid ? Should it be there ? Can it be the cause of the installation failure ?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Samoréen said:

Hi,

The Event Viewer shows an error at ESET NOD32 installation time when trying to install eelam.sys. This driver is the only one that has a time stamp of 07-20-2016. Is it valid ? Should it be there ? Can it be the cause of the installation failure ?

Thanks

Eset uses the Win 10 Early Launch Antimalware driver i.e. ELAM. I just upgraded to Smart Security .386 and the Eset ELAM driver was not updated and shows the same date. I don't know of any reason why Eset would update its ELAM driver unless there was a change in the corresponding Win 10 ELAM driver.