The virus emails already cross our Exchange server and go to client's inbox directly?

Hi there,

A quick and maybe stupid question. We have installed the ESET file security on our MS Exchange server. But why virus emails always cross our Exchange server and go to our client's inbox successfully and directly? I know our ESET endpoint client will block it well. But I hope our Exchange maybe can block some of these virus emails directly at level 1 not always at our client device. Anybody who have any idea and please kindly let me know? I appreciate. Thank you.

• Administrators

ESET File Security protects the file system on servers. To scan email on MS Exchange, you need to install ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange.

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for your replied. Can we have file security and mail security both in our Exchange server? or mail security will do the same protection as file security?

• ESET Staff

Mail Security features the same "host protection" component as File Security. So yes, it will protect also the host machine, but will on top integrate with Exchange for mail scanning.

• 6 months later...

On this subject, we recently installed ESMX on your Exchange 2013 server. It mostly has default settings, but can provide specific ones upon request. My question is, we had an internal user forward some obvious phishing emails to mailboxes on the server with ESMX installed. ESMX didn't catch them. The ESET Outlook plugin didn't catch them. However a manual database scan did. Why the disparity? We have mail transport protection enabled. The whole idea was to catch infected emails before they even reach the user.

Also, is it possible to quarantine the email from an on-demand database scan? I only see options to delete the object. We may not wish to do so automatically in case of false positives.

• Administrators

Internal emails are not scanned by default, however, there's an option to enable it.

I'd suggest containing your local customer care to troubleshoot issues with undetected spam or malware on Exchange.

Thanks. We are currently testing ESMX and so only one exchange server had it installed. If internal emails aren't being scanned this makes sense (except for the outlook plug-in not catching it)

Maybe while I'm here i can ask one other question: In the settings, the help refers to Mail transport protection and enabling database protection. However, I don't see the database protection option.

• ESET Staff

Hi,

Database protection is not available on Exchange 2013 and newer. We used a scanning API that is discontinued - only on-demand database scan is available on newer versions of Exchange.