Is Eset Smart Security Corrupt

Added Eset smart security to new laptop and had nothing but trouble with it.

3 browsers and I could not use any of them properly. You could open browsers but you were not able to download anything from them. half the time websites would not open properly.

So far have had to reset my laptop 3 times before finding out that it was Eset that was the problem. I deleted it this morning and everything is running as it should.. I would like to reinstall it but not if it is going to cause further trouble.

Now I found this when searching Eset Firewall.  If you go here.

Web  Access protection.
Personal Firewall.
Advanced.
Zones and edit.
DNS Server 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:fff::1, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:fff::2, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:fff::3,

Now to me that does not look like a genuine DNS address . Could this be the cause of the problem. I tried Googling it and only one site came up from China and it seems they were having the same problems with there browsers.

Now I posted those findings to Eset support and have not got an answer yet. Just want to know if this is the fault how would I rectify it so that I can download Eset again.

If it is not the fault can anyone tell me why I am having so many problems when running it.

Edited by ronnie

• Administrators

These are Norton ConnectSafe DNS servers. Does actually temporarily disabling firewall in the advanced setup make a difference or you must disable protocol filtering for browsing to start work?

Marcos

No that did not work and switching firewall off completely did not work. Thanks for the info about the Norton DNS servers they looked so suspicious I though that was the problem.

Rather than deleting Eset I disabled everything on it but that would not work either so had to delete it. I have tried uninstalling it then installing it again a few time but with no luck.

Must be something on the laptop that is the problem then.

Nothing works properly with Eset installed and everything works ok Without it. I have to assume that Eset is the problem.

Edited by ronnie

• Administrators

The fact that a particular issue occurs only with ESET installed does not always mean that ESET is the culprit. There are known bugs in older operating systems which, if not patched by a hotfix, may cause various issues when ESET is installed. Similarly issues may be a result of other problematic software installed together with ESET even if both can work flawlessly if not installed and running at the same time.

That said, we encourage users to troubleshoot issues prior to uninstalling ESET. Otherwise it could happen that the problem will remain hidden and may manifest at a later time with different software. Needless to say that uninstalling ESET and installing another AV would often mean exchanging superior protection for mediocre protection.

Maybe so but you would not expect problems like that on a brand new Laptop.

Almost 9 days I have been trying to sort it and Eset was the only thing holding me back.

It was impossible to use any of the browsers they were all the same unusable.

It may well have been something that got on to the computer I don't know. just cannot find anything.

All I know is that without Eset the laptop works fine. I have used Eset for years and this is the first time I have had any problems with it.

Remove the Norton DNS server references from the network adapter's IPv4 settings your connecting to the Internet with. This will cause you to connect to your ISP's DNS servers instead via your router's DNS server. Then check if the problem goes away.

The Norton Dns server I tried this afternoon with no luck so will be going back to my ISP DNS. That does not work either.

With Virginmedia and you cant change the DNS on their Superhubs..

The Norton DNS servers are what is on Eset. They were not on my computer.

Reset mine back to ISP DNS now.

In reference to this from your original posting:

DNS Server 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:fff::1, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:fff::2, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:fff::3,

Eset is showing you the DNS servers assigned from your network adapter. Eset does not assign any DNS servers.

I know my ISP DNS and it is not that. Those settings came from Eset Smart Security Firewall. 

Checking in the Eset settings.

Web  Access protection.
Personal Firewall.
Advanced.
Zones and edit.

It has been acknowledged that those are the settings that Eset uses but it does not help me with my problem, I thought those settings were suspect but they are not. So that is not what is causing the problem.

Moving on from DNS and the firewall as being the issue, temporarily disable Eset's Web Access Protection. If your browsers now work OK, then that is the feature where the issue is. If so, enable web access protection but disable the SSL protocol feature within and retest.  

itman. so far I have installed it and reinstalled it aboutm4 times. I also had everything disabled on it and it still would not work. not really want to go down the road of reinstalling it without knowing what the problem is or was.

Like I said I have had 9 days trying to fix it without any luck.

I will try your ideas the next time I install Eset but i just need a rest away from it at the moment. My other computer works fine with Eset but that does not have the anniversary update on it.

itman

Should have a bit of time tomorrow so going to download Eset Smart Security again and try your suggestions.It must be something simple that is causing it. I don't think I tried it with SLL switched of. Will give it a go tomorrow.

• Most Valued Members

ESS does not add or change any DNS settings when installed. Have you had a Symantec product previously installed that has left over references to DNS settings when you have uninstalled ??

Goto control panel > network and sharing centre > change adapter settings.

Then in the properties tab for ipv4/ipv6 , that you have the DNS settings set to auto like the picture below :)

landns.jpg

4 hours ago, ronnie said:

itman 

Installed Eset smart security once more and like you said with SSL switched off and it works Ok

Is it safe to run it that way for long periods

I did try switching it on again but get the old problems back again.

What browser are you using? There have been issues with Chrome and to a lesser degree FireFox. I use both IE11 and Edge and have had no issues with Eset's SSL protocol scanning.

With SSL Protocol scanning disabled you are at risk for any HTTPS web base malware since Eset cannot scan the encrypted incoming traffic at the network level using its web filter. All other Eset's protections remain in effect. Additionally if you use an e-mail client software, Eset cannot scan that inbound traffic assuming you're receiving your e-mail encrypted.  

Edited by itman

My main browser is Firefox but it will not work on IE11 or Edge when SLL is enabled..

I just turned SLL on again to try it and page won't open with, Error code SSL-ERROR-BAD-MAC-ALERT so looks like I may have to turn it off again..

Close all browsers.

Open a command prompt window and type the following less the quote marks "ipconfig /flushdns". Note there is a space prior to the "/". Press enter.

Now try a browser w/SSL Protocol scanning enabled. 

Done that lots of times before but will try again.

Can i download the log connector and post the results on here or do I have to ask first.

Just noticed it onthe bottom of Marcos's  reply

58 minutes ago, ronnie said:

Done that lots of times before but will try again.

Can i download the log connector and post the results on here or do I have to ask first.

Just noticed it onthe bottom of Marcos's  reply

Instructions for downloading and running log connector here: http://support.eset.com/kb3466/ . If the .zip file produced is 2 MB or less, you can attach the file to a PM to Marcos. If the .zip file > 2MB, you will have to upload it to a file sharing site and post the link to the file in a PM to Marcos.

Ok sent Zip file to Marcos but had to do it with SSL switched off as browser would not accept it with it on.

So must think that the results may not be as required.

Thought that we had cracked it. everything worked Ok for about 5 minutes afted posting file then went back to the usual problems. So cant be much wrong with it.

Edited by ronnie

One last thing for you to check and I am done. Check if the date and time on your computer is correct. If not, correct and then try SSL Protocol scanning again.

No luck still cant use any browsers with SSL activated.Anyone else any ideas.

Ok ran it another 3 times to make sure but they all opened normally so the first one may have been a fluke.

Monday and Firefox still working ok with SSL enabled. Internet explorer and Edge still not working.

Nope tried that and it would not accept it.

Edited by ronnie