Hey guys,

So I decided to run a scan of my computer today. First time using ESS Premium. When I did, it lasted about 24 seconds. I found that odd as I have about 600 - 700 GBs worth of data to scan.

I ran an in-depth scan and it took it 30 seconds to complete.

I remember scanning about the same amount of space with ESS 9 before I bought ESS Premium and it would take about an hour and a half to scan all of that.

Is it normal for ESS Premium to complete even in-depth scans so quickly with so much space to scan?

I noticed my malwarebytes scan took a shorter amount of time as well, around 24 minutes when it would take about an hour and a half before as well.

I just bought a new computer with up to date hardware. Could this be why these scans are shorter?

Last computer was from 2013 but that was up to date as well when I bought it.

Sorry I'm just confused and want to make sure ESET is operating properly and I'm getting complete scans.

No, I think it should take longer than 30 seconds. I am curious, how many objects were scanned? (you can check the logs via tools) My in-depth scans on average take 1h 45m for about 1.75M objects. Obviously your results will vary by your amount of content. You may want to take a look at this KB on Advanced scanning options. See http://support.eset.com/kb2909/ I customize my scans by picking all the variables. I am sure others can add some additional thoughts and insights.

Edited by TomFace

It says it's only about 380,000 objects scanned.

Also everything in that article I've already done. I select everything on the in-depth scan and start it and then it runs, 30 seconds later it's done......

It does look like there are objects that it is skipping over because they "could not be opened."

I'll run it again tomorrow and see what happens.....

I'm not sure what's happening or not happening here......

Malwarebytes scanned around 400,000 objects and it took 24 minutes. 

Thats around the time frame I'd expect from ESET.

Edited by LinkinForcer

• Administrators

You can enable logging of all scanned objects for a particular on-demand scanner profile to see what is actually scanned.

As for the files that could not be opened, the operating system may be exclusively using them or your account does not have read permissions to access them.

Well I'm the admin so I shouldn't have permission problems. I'm going to run another scan when I get home and see if it's another 30 second scan.

If it is does anyone have any ideas on what the next step would be?

Could this be something that needs to be fixed in an update for Windows 10?

56 minutes ago, LinkinForcer said:

Well I'm the admin so I shouldn't have permission problems. I'm going to run another scan when I get home and see if it's another 30 second scan.

Your profile is most likely a local admin. Eset's admin scanning option allows for scanning with full admin privileges.

10 hours ago, LinkinForcer said:

So I decided to run a scan of my computer today. First time using ESS Premium. When I did, it lasted about 24 seconds. I found that odd as I have about 600 - 700 GBs worth of data to scan.

As part of the installation process, Eset will run a full scan on all locally connected drives. It should have started shortly after the installation completed. Check you scan logs for this event. The scan should have taken some time to complete against 600+ GB of data.

21 minutes ago, itman said:

Your profile is most likely a local admin. Eset's admin scanning option allows for scanning with full admin privileges.

Yes I do that every time I run the scan, I scan it as admin.

15 minutes ago, itman said:

As part of the installation process, Eset will run a full scan on all locally connected drives. It should have started shortly after the installation completed. Check you scan logs for this event. The scan should have taken some time to complete against 600+ GB of data.

It did do that first time scan. But at the time I only had around 70 GBs used on my PC. That scan didn't take long at all.

I'll have to look at the logs when I get home but I can't compare that scan to the scans I do now because I have 100s of more GBs used up now than I did then.

Edited by LinkinForcer

@Marcos can elaborate further on this comment if he wishes.

Based on Eset documentation, files than have been scanned once by Eset are not scanned again unless they have been modified subsequent to the last scan. Note that by default, Eset will scan a file when it is created.

Additionally, Eset's Smart scan profile does not scan all files; only those deemed to be most at risk.

Both of these factors result in extremely fast on-demand scan times.

23 minutes ago, itman said:

Based on Eset documentation, files than have been scanned once by Eset are not scanned again unless they have been modified subsequent to the last scan. Note that by default, Eset will scan a file when it is created.

Additionally, Eset's Smart scan profile does not scan all files; only those deemed to be most at risk.

Both of these factors result in extremely fast on-demand scan times.

Ok that would make since. I also have idle scanning enabled so ESET is always scanning. 

Would this still effect in-depth scans though? 

If so it would make since why I'm getting 30 second scan times.

If you indeed want a "very long" scan time, do a "Custom" scan. Select the drive which contains all the files you noted; I assume that is your boot drive. Select all available options listed for the drive. Select run as admin.

5 minutes ago, itman said:

If you indeed want a "very long" scan time, do a "Custom" scan. Select the drive which contains all the files you noted; I assume that is your boot drive. Select all available options listed for the drive. Select run as admin.

Well see that's what I am trying to figure out.

I did several custom scans last night and selected the in-depth scan option, selected all my hard drives, the boot sectors and memory and ran the scans as administrator and it was done in around 30 secs every time.

im just trying to figure out if that is normal or not. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit and ESS Premium.

I've got a 256 GB PCIe SSD as my boot and then for backup and storage I have a 2TB HDD, and 2 1TB SSDs.

Edited by LinkinForcer

3 hours ago, LinkinForcer said:

Well see that's what I am trying to figure out.

I did several custom scans last night and selected the in-depth scan option, selected all my hard drives, the boot sectors and memory and ran the scans as administrator and it was done in around 30 secs every time.

im just trying to figure out if that is normal or not. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit and ESS Premium.

I've got a 256 GB PCIe SSD as my boot and then for backup and storage I have a 2TB HDD, and 2 1TB SSDs.

Doesn't sound right to me. But three of your drives are SDD's ........... Assuming the same SATA interface, SSD's are twice as fast as HDD's.

Last custom scan I did on my Win 10 boot drive containing 44.5 GB and another drive w/XP installed on containing 12.3 GB of data took 13.45 min.. Also that scan used Smart not the In-depth option. The boot drive is a fast SATA 2 and the XP drive is a SATA 1 drive; both drives were HDD.

-EDIT-

I am wondering now if the On-Demand scan default option in Advanced settings which is "Smart" is overriding the "In-Depth" selection for a Custom scan?

On-Demand Scan.png

Edited by itman

• Administrators
4 hours ago, itman said:

Not all clean files are whitelisted in cloud, only the most prevalent and popular ones. As a result, if you scan whitelisted files once, they won't be re-scanned after engine (VSD) updates. However, those that are not whitelisted will be re-scanned with each new update, if a scan is attempted.

• Administrators

@LinkinForcer
You could try running a scan with the command line scanner ecls.exe from the ESET install folder which should scan all files.

Also you can edit the Smart scan profile and enable logging of all scanned objects so that you can see each scanned file in the log. You can also play with "Smart optimization" setting to see how it affect scans on your machine.

56 minutes ago, Marcos said:

@LinkinForcer
You could try running a scan with the command line scanner ecls.exe from the ESET install folder which should scan all files.

Also you can edit the Smart scan profile and enable logging of all scanned objects so that you can see each scanned file in the log. You can also play with "Smart optimization" setting to see how it affect scans on your machine.

Ok awesome I'll mess with it.

6 hours ago, itman said:

Doesn't sound right to me. But three of your drives are SDD's ........... Assuming the same SATA interface, SSD's are twice as fast as HDD's.

Last custom scan I did on my Win 10 boot drive containing 44.5 GB and another drive w/XP installed on containing 12.3 GB of data took 13.45 min.. Also that scan used Smart not the In-depth option. The boot drive is a fast SATA 2 and the XP drive is a SATA 1 drive; both drives were HDD.

-EDIT-

I am wondering now if the On-Demand scan default option in Advanced settings which is "Smart" is overriding the "In-Depth" selection for a Custom scan?

On-Demand Scan.png

I believe this fixed it. I changed it to in-depth and now the scan is taking much longer than 30 secs