"Fake/Alert" Messages from Microsoft

Several days ago I began receiving Microsoft popup messages indicating error 268D3 was on board my system. I was instructed to call (844) 526-1405 and have the problem resolved over the phone".  There was also a reference to "Microsoft.com-206.info".   I did an Eset scan.  Nothing resulted and I took no further action. This morning, I began receiving verbal and popup messages stating that if I didn't call the number to resolve the issue, my pc would be locked out of the "network".  I went online to Microsoft's support page and searched for error 268d3, which revealed quite a few postings regarding this issue. I placed the call, but felt uneasy since the party on the other end (obviously in a crowed room with other operators - offshore) wanted me to give her access to my pc.  When I asked why, she disconnected the call.  I re-scanned the pc and also looked at the log.  Apparently ESET found the problem on 10/17/16.  I've attached a copy of the posting.  There were no other postings. Please advise. Your help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

BJW>

ESET Log.txt

• Administrators

It was a bogus "support" call. Those people use legitimate tools and system commands to convince the user that there's some problem with their system and that he or she should purchase a particular application (of course rogue) for instance to fix the issues.

You can chalk up that pop up as a scam-it's no more real than the scammers calling from India who are calling on behalf of Microsoft because you PC is send out errors (does the Ammyy Scam sound familiar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning/ammyy-scam/2af41e2c-898c-4b80-9225-49baa3b6482d ?) If you give them remote access they will steal your data, steal your identity, give you malware and charge you a ridiculous amount of money to remove the malware (that may or may not exist). And on top of that you will be marked as an easy target for future scammers of all types. If your PC is useable after they're done with it you'll be lucky. This happens every day-protect yourself. They also sell (to the unaware and vulnerable) A-V and anti-malware software for several hundred dollars that may only be $25 or free. Do not trust those vermin! Avoid questionable websites where they may stash their pop ups.

FYI..these same vermin have also branched out to Apple products-like I-Phones, I-Pads....using scam pop ups with their toll free numbers to work their voodoo and steal folks money when they (the users) could just clear their cache, reboot and be fine.

Edited by TomFace