ERA Server (6.4) SQL tempdb filling disk rapidly

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to help with suggestions of how to approach troubleshooting this issue...

On consecutive nights this week, SQL Express tempdb on my ERA Server has suddenly decided to fill the disk over a period of about 45min (~30GB or so). The server trace log showed nothing that seemed related and Eset support (via online chat) had basically no suggestions.

Both times so far restarting the server OS (Windows 2012 R2) has cleared the space, but this has never been needed before.

1 hour ago, martbasi said:

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to help with suggestions of how to approach troubleshooting this issue...

On consecutive nights this week, SQL Express tempdb on my ERA Server has suddenly decided to fill the disk over a period of about 45min (~30GB or so). The server trace log showed nothing that seemed related and Eset support (via online chat) had basically no suggestions.

Both times so far restarting the server OS (Windows 2012 R2) has cleared the space, but this has never been needed before.

We received a similar alert from our systems team this week referencing this folder filling quickly. Any advice on how to clear out without impacting the server is appreciated.  Also running ERA 6.4 on Win 2012R2

I just realized that our monitoring data shows the disk-filling behavior starting at exactly 10:40pm both times it has happened. That suggests a scheduled event but the ERAS reports for server and client task have nothing listed as running at this time. Nor does Windows task scheduler, and I even verified the server VM is not getting backed up at that time either.

I'm not a SQL guy so I'm not sure how else to recover the situation aside from rebooting. Would also be interested to know a lower-impact method of at least temporarily clearing this. Let the googling begin I guess.

• ESET Staff

ERA relies on temporary tables in database due to performance, and this is reason why tempdb may grow to huge sizes after a time. It is also possible that it grows during execution of complicated DB queries over larger data sets - how many computers are you managing?

Unfortunately we have almost no control over it as tempdb is managed completely by SQLServer, including cleanup of no longer required temporary data. Various sources states that database restart is required to automatically cleanup obsolete data.

There can be found diagnostic queries for specific SQLServer version which are at least able to show what query takes most of the space, and possibly also manual cleanup queries, which were unfortunately not tests. For example official MS article Troubleshooting Insufficient Disk Space in tempdb presents multiple queries helping to identify problematic operations.