Encrypted Network Traffic/ Untrusted Cert/ Adblock Plus

Holo20

Since upgrading to Nod32 9, I'm constantly (10+ times a day) plagued with the "Encrypted Network Traffic" Untrusted Certificate warning, which then makes me choose to either allow the communication to continue, or block.

I believe this behavior is caused by my Adblock Plus extension, which I have installed in both Chrome and IE/ Edge. I've seen another thread on this forum where a user suggested this behavior was caused by some kind of man-in-the-middle operation, and I suspect it may be Adblock Plus.

Is there any way to verify this, and/or modify Nod32 to work peaceably with Adblock Plus?

I have Adblock Plus installed on Edge and have not observed any of the behavior you are describing.

Post a screen shot of the alert you are receiving from Eset.

This is sadly, not a new issue: 

This issue started with an update to V9 (don't know if it was a program update, or module update that did it), and continues with V10 from the get-go. Have tested this on five systems running Win7 SP1, Win 8.1, and Win10 ... both 32-bit and 64-bit variants. The thread above is just one that explores this issue. Many others have also reported the issue (and not just in this forum).

ESET, sadly, continues to maintain it is not an issue with their software. It is, as I explained in the thread I referenced above (Since the warning is coming from ESET, not Windows or the browsers affected).

I have given up on trying to convince ESET they are having a detection issue. They claim it is related to Windows or the browsers (but as noted above, it's not).

That said, I always just select "block always" and move on. The sites do not seem to lose any functionality by doing so (probably just blocking some ads or the telemetry that the ads collect). For what it is worth, the geo-um.btrll.com certificate issue you have encountered is one of the three main ones ESET flags on my system also - on multiple websites (Amazon, Droid Life, and others - all major, legitimate sits). So, either all these certificates that are used on major sites such as Amazon are actually malformed or not legitimate, or ESET's certificate scanning function is (at least) slightly bonked.

FYI

The SSL errors are because the web space created to collect the data and sell it to advertisers is found and shut down, with the SSL being revoked, which stops the cookies from sending data, but the ads still run and they still continue to collect data until deletion.

Ref.: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/624560/btrllcom-malware/