Eset firewall configuration.

• Administrators

We recommend using default (automatic) mode for users unless they experience issues with certain applications. In automatic mode, all outgoing communication is allowed and all non-initiated incoming communication attempts are denied.

• ESET Staff

Hi,

Marcos is right, the firewall should be completely functional in automatic mode right out of the box, you should not have to make any changes. I will however, suggest that you visit our Knowledgebase and search for any questions you do have.

One of the first firewall related operations you might see when working with ESET Smart Security is the New Network Connection Detected dialog. You can read about the different settings available and decide which are best for you in this article. We have quite a few additional articles on using the Personal firewall. They are categorized by issue, so I encourage you to search the knowledgebase (you might want to use the drop-down menu at the top to filter for firewall as your problem type).

• 1 year later...

I'm using Windows 7, though I'm not certain that it has anything to do with my problem: On starting up my home computer this morning, I received this message; "failed to read firewalll configuration". What does it mean and how do i go about fixing it? I have not added any programs or changed any settings.

• ESET Moderators

We have an ESET Knowledgebase article on this issue, but it's for version 4.2. What version of ESET Smart Security are you running? Here are the basic steps I suggest:

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of ESS

2. Regardless of #1, make sure you try restarting the computer (and especially after upgrading). 

3. If still having issues, you may want to do a "full" (manual) uninstall and then reinstall, as described in the following article:

How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET product?