suspected freeze with NOD32 v5

rwk
Go to solution Solved by rwk,

I'm running Win7 Home Premium (64-bit) and NOD32 v5.  I have been having a problem whereby my system stops accepting keyboard and mouse input and spins the disk furiously for about 10 seconds or so.  If I am playing music in the background, the music stops for a couple seconds.

I have been using ProcMon from Microsoft to try to identify what the system is doing when the freeze happens.  The system appeared to be accessing "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles\upd.ver" when the most recent freeze happened.  Is this plausible?  Has anybody else had this?  Is there a fix?

Thanks.

• ESET Insiders

Do you prefer using version 5 over version 6? Maybe the problem does not exist with version 6, or did you also experience problems with version 6? Version 7 will be released soon, and from my experience it is already very stable.

I wasn't aware that v6 was out and free for subscribers until I narrowed my suspicions to NOD32 and browsed support.  I plan to upgrade as soon as I find a quiet time and a good backup.  I am averse to running beta software for such an important function.

Before you update to V6, be sure to uninstall V5 with the uninstaller to prevent that the issues you have with V5 comes along if you would install over the top.

This is what I always do if I am having issues with a version. Uninstall -> Fresh install  :)

Edited by SweX

Thanks for the responses.  I can confirm that the problem persists with a clean reinstallation of v6.

I am not an h/w or system s/w guru, but I am an application programmer.  It's my belief that, even if NOD32 is accessing the disk when the freeze happens, Win7 should not allow it to peempt all keyboard and mouse input.  Memory and disk intensive actions can make my system sluggish, but they should not make it totally unresponsive.  I have seen or caused plenty of program loops.

At first I suspected a hardware problem, and that still seems possible.  If there were a problem with the disk controller, which I think is part of the motherboard, I can imagine that Win7 might be requesting a re-read over and over, thereby causing the freeze.

• ESET Insiders

Some of use are having similar problems which we have been talking about in this thread. https://forum.eset.com/topic/610-nod-32-seems-to-be-causing-freeze-during-boot/

Wow... I just finished making a half page post, and then when I submitted the post only the one sentence above appeared in the post!! I even had to add the link back to the one sentence it managed to preserve of my post.  Sorry, but I don't have time to make the post again right now. It must be a bug with the forum.

Edited by cutting_edgetech

Some of use are having similar problems which we have been talking about in this thread. https://forum.eset.com/topic/610-nod-32-seems-to-be-causing-freeze-during-boot/

Wow... I just finished making a half page post, and then when I submitted the post only the one sentence above appeared in the post!! I even had to add the link back to the one sentence it managed to preserve of my post.  Sorry, but I don't have time to make the post again right now. It must be a bug with the forum.

Hi, I have had that happen to me too one time on this forum, very annoying. But on other forums I have got logged out after clicking on the submit/post button.

So, since a couple of years ago I have started a good habit of copying all of the text right before I click on the post button, just incase something bad would happen, getting logged out, or text disappearing for some reason. Then I can just paste in the text and try to post again. Without the need to write everything all over. Just a tip :)

• Administrators

Regarding upd.ver, reading from or writing to it definitely cannot cause any issues. Please contact Customer care and provide them with the Procmon log for analysis.

As for the problems with submitting longer posts, I've notified our forum administrator and we'll look into it.

As for the problems with submitting longer posts, I've notified our forum administrator and we'll look into it.

Thanks for letting us know Marcos  :)

• Solution

Thanks again for all the comments.  These freezes are harder to capture with ProcMon than I expected, but I have three now.  Two of them were NOD32 reading a file, but different files each time.  The other was Firefox reading a file.

I have concluded that my problem is likely hardware or system software, but probably not Win7 or NOD32.  I suspect my system is going into a tight disk-read loop.  The disk reads number in the tens of millions at the time of the freeze and are by far the most of any file during the entire ProcMon session.  I have a few tweaks I can try first, but I am guessing a new computer is going to be the best choice.  Therefore, I will mark this thread 'solved'.

• ESET Insiders

Hi, I have had that happen to me too one time on this forum, very annoying. But on other forums I have got logged out after clicking on the submit/post button.

So, since a couple of years ago I have started a good habit of copying all of the text right before I click on the post button, just incase something bad would happen, getting logged out, or text disappearing for some reason. Then I can just paste in the text and try to post again. Without the need to write everything all over. Just a tip :)

I actually do that a lot, but I forgot to this time. I usually copy my post to notepad. Yea, i've seen many similar issues with other forums.

• ESET Insiders

Thanks again for all the comments.  These freezes are harder to capture with ProcMon than I expected, but I have three now.  Two of them were NOD32 reading a file, but different files each time.  The other was Firefox reading a file.

I have concluded that my problem is likely hardware or system software, but probably not Win7 or NOD32.  I suspect my system is going into a tight disk-read loop.  The disk reads number in the tens of millions at the time of the freeze and are by far the most of any file during the entire ProcMon session.  I have a few tweaks I can try first, but I am guessing a new computer is going to be the best choice.  Therefore, I will mark this thread 'solved'.

How old is the computer? What are your system specs?

Computer brand is ZT, purchased in 1/2010.  Processor is i7-920, 12gb memory, 1.0tb & 0.3tb disks; Win7 Home Prem (64-bit) with latest updates; NOD32 v6.

Computer brand is ZT, purchased in 1/2010.  Processor is i7-920, 12gb memory, 1.0tb & 0.3tb disks; Win7 Home Prem (64-bit) with latest updates; NOD32 v6.

Old?  :o  Wow, then I will not tell you my specs. :rolleyes:  That's still a very capable PC you have there IMO! 

Instead of worrying about that your old PC (wich isn't old at all) is about to turn itself in.... I would submit the data that you were able to capture to ESET and let them have a look.  :)

Edited by SweX

I actually do that a lot, but I forgot to this time. I usually copy my post to notepad. Yea, i've seen many similar issues with other forums.

Great to hear i'm not alone doing this :)  Oh please don't remind me, I forgot to copy earlier today myself  :D