ESET causing failed requests on Windows 10 Insider Preview

I’m using a Windows 10 Insider build, which has been updated to 14965 last week. Since then, when browsing the web in Chrome, some HTTP requests fail with the ERR_INVALID_CHUNKED_ENCODING error (see attached screenshot). This makes web browsing unusable, because style sheets, scripts and images fail to load.

When this issue first appeared last week, I reverted to an earlier Windows 10 build (Microsoft lets Insiders do that, but only for a week), and now I’m again on the latest build and the issue has re-appeared. I have tried re-installing ESET Smart Security, but that did not resolve the issue.

Note that ESET attempted to insert a root certificate into my root store, but I refused to allow that and turned off SSL protection (“Enable HTTP checking” control).

Right now, my options are to either revert to a previous build again (for another week) or stop using ESET and switch to a different AV software.

Please help!

• Administrators

See https://forum.eset.com/topic/10083-smart-security-breaks-downloading-in-win-10-insider-preview-14965/. Insider Preview builds are not 100% supported. Plus IP build 14965 contains a bug which renders downloaded files corrupted when protocol filtering is enabled. This has already been reported to Microsoft.

Right now, my options are to either revert to a previous build again (for another week) or stop using ESET and switch to a different AV software.

That won't necessarily solve your problem, on the Insiders forum (at Microsoft) other 3rd party firewall software is noted as having exactly the same problem. As far as I can see, the only option at this moment is to use Windows Defender, which much to Microsofts' delight, I'm sure, doesn't suffer from this annoyance.

Edited by bodgyuk

• Most Valued Members

I’m using a Windows 10 Insider build, which has been updated to 14965 last week. Since then, when browsing the web in Chrome, some HTTP requests fail with the ERR_INVALID_CHUNKED_ENCODING error (see attached screenshot). This makes web browsing unusable, because style sheets, scripts and images fail to load.

When this issue first appeared last week, I reverted to an earlier Windows 10 build (Microsoft lets Insiders do that, but only for a week), and now I’m again on the latest build and the issue has re-appeared. I have tried re-installing ESET Smart Security, but that did not resolve the issue.

Note that ESET attempted to insert a root certificate into my root store, but I refused to allow that and turned off SSL protection (“Enable HTTP checking” control).

Please help!

As people have said this is a Microsoft problem and it's something that will likely keep reoccurring in some form or another for any security suite used on the insider version.

Sadly it's either use an insider version with possible risks or go to stable as far as I can tell

Sadly it's either use an insider version with possible risks or go to stable as far as I can tell

Even more sad, is that you can't just revert from an Insiders build to the current RTM, the installer complains that you are replacing a newer build and will install a clean system, requiring all programs to be reinstalled. Personally I'm waiting for the 'Creator' build as, so the rumours say, the next RTM update will follow shortly after. Then I will either stop the insider builds or change to the 'slow' ring.

Edited by bodgyuk