Introduce yourself

dwomack

Hiya all.

Just joined with Eset after having been with Kaspersky for the past 3 years. The only 'con' with KIS was that it has become top-heavy. Bloated. It was really slowing my PC's down.

I have a desktop with Vista and Laptop with Windows 7.

Had a good search into the user reviews of most of the security suites and here I am. Swayed by the reports of a non intrusive yet reliable security system.

So pleased I switched over. Browsing back to as it should be. No more hanging and freezing websites. Feels like I have two new computers! Surfing with a smile again. Long may it continue.

Also have Malwarebytes. They seem to be working okay together with the exclusions set in the 'ignore' lists.

Oh. I'm an early retired old codger/git. And a Sheffield Wednesday season ticket holder. No quips, thanks.

Cheers guys.

Yes, it's a shame about Kaspersky is it not as once upon a time it was like Eset, Lightweight and zippy. Now it is like a bloated hungry hippo, begging to slow down your computer tasks and gaming fps to a point it is making you cry.  Just say no to Russia.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Much appreciated.

And yes, Ryan Hayward, lightweight and zippy are good adjectives for Eset 7.

Looking forward to participating in the forum.

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the introduction and thanks for signing up.  :) 

There is definitely an abundance of knowledge floating around here. Hope you find everything your looking for. ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all,

hoping to find good friends.

Regards.

Hello and welcome gfkerop. I think you'll find an entertaining and informative group of folks here. ;)

ESET Smart Security 7 user. Interested about computers and security. And also developing ESET to make it even more perfect.

Edited by ESSfan

Hi ESSfan,

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you here.

I already responded to an issue you are having, and i hope you enjoy your stay here.

I agree on the keyboard bind for Gamer mode, sounds like a great idea ! Thanks for suggesting. :)

Hi all,

Werner here from South Africa. Recently got Eset End Point Security for my company. Busy deploying on 1000+ machines at the moment, and while I can say it's not been the easiest install, it sure is effective. 

Looking to learn a lot on these forums. 

Kind Regards,

Werner Marx

Hello, gfkerop & Werner

Welcome to the forums.

Werner, glad you have purchased ESET for 1000+

Are you using Push install ? Did you retrieve your workstations through LDAP or IP Address in ERA etc ?

If you are having any kind of troubles, need any advice or assistance, were definitely here to help you !

The most trivial is cleaning off remnants of other security products on the workstations, determining open ports and/or firewall on/off between server client before push, and making sure you have the right policy settings when deploying.

Again welcome :)

Hi my name is Angie and I am running Windows 7 Pro. Right now the only anti virus I have is ESET. I am new to the forum and I look forward to learning new things.

Welcome to the forum Angie. My name is Joe. I think ESET is the only antivirus you will ever need.

I have it on 5 computers and am very happy with it.

• 1 month later...

Hi, my name is Kathy.  I've had ESET for over five years.  I'm running Win7Pro, and had ESET half the time I was running XP, until last year when I went to 7.  I love ESET, and it always steers me in the right direction, and certainly helps me make some major decisions.  I actually do have a question.  I have been having problems with a Trojan program, so came into ESET to see if they had a Trojan program, but I don't see one.  I've been running TrojanHunter, but recently had to restore my PC back to a time just before I extended it for another year.  Now I'm not receiving any help at all from the techs, so I have no Trojan program running.  Does ESET have anything that could take care of Trojans and Worms?  If not, does anyone have any idea as to a Trojan program as good as ESET is in everything it does?

Thank you,

Kathy

HI, Kathy.

You don't need a program specific to trojans.

ESET detects and blocks most major trojan families, as well as heuristically catches new ones.

ESET is all you need. :)

Thank you for responding Arakasi.  Now my only question is do I have to have a certain ESET program? What I have is ESET Smart Security7 Version 7.0.302.26.  It never lets me know anything about Trojans or worms.  I always had to run the Trojan Hunter to find the Trojans, and I always ran that after I ran an ESET scan on my PC.

Thank you,

Kathy

Hi again Kathy,

You can proceed to this linked site where you will find every form of malware that is added to the program daily.

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/

As you can see in the list, trojans are being added everyday, so that is the assurance ESET detects trojans. :)

As far as ESET not telling you, ESET's detections are more generalized for the end user, and the notifications are described as "Threat found" vs "Trojan found".

However, you can see in the details or followed by threat, the name of the threat found or scientific name issued by ESET.

Thanks Arakasi.  I did go to the site and saw the list with the Trojans, however, I'm confused as to why I'm picking up Trojans with another program after I've run a complete ESET scan?  I trust ESET with everything, but I was told years ago that I would also need a Trojan program to go with it.  Needless to say, I'm just more confused now.  I'd like to delete Trojan Hunter from my PC, and buy one that actually has good tech support.  I was just hoping ESET would have a specific Trojan program. But thank you for taking the time to help me.

You're welcome.

Most companies with an antivirus program have a database of threats they detect. These will be different from company to company.

If you suspect a threat has been found and ESET did not detect it.

Please contact ESET directly by submitting a sample or opening a ticket for support by calling or visiting this link:
https://www.eset.com/us/support/contact/ (US link) Other countries would need to visit their eset site index or other forms of contact.

Edited by Arakasi

Hello and Welcome :)

I agree with Arakasi, despite the name virus in Antivirus, no antivirus programs detects viruses only, these days they are Anti-MALWARE programs, Malware being a generic term for as good as all types of threats like, Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Adware, Rootkits etc etc...So yes ESET will detect the Trojans as well as any other malicious stuff that tries to sneak in.

If you want, you could post the path to whatever TrojanHunter detects as it feels more like an false-positive(detection of a clean file/files) being detected each time you run a scan with it. 

If you want to get rid of Trojanhunter, you should know it's still good to have a so-called "second opinion scanner" wich can pick up threats in case something is missed by ESET. And a good one for that job is Malwarebytes Free, wich you can run an on-demand scan with once a month or so. 

Edited by SweX