Introduce yourself

dwomack

Hi, I am an end user of ESET Endpoint that is managed via JAMF. We have a new and inexperienced team (outsourced) dealing with it after the previously knowledgeable team were exited through redundancy. I am a long time user of *nix systems and fairly good with anything technical - enough to know where issues are being caused.

• 1 month later...

Good day my IT friends !

My name is  MIYA and i have been working in the IT industry since i was 14 & teaching myself how to program with BASIC and familiarizing myself with the internet on my first computer. A Gateway lol.

I am 30 and love anything and everything that has to do with computers.

• 1 month later...
  • Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, KateDun said:

Hi All,

I didn't intend to bother any of the community folks out here but  I am recently facing a problem with my Mac. Whenever I try to open a folder, containing images, it simply does not open. A dialogue box comes out saying Mac Error Code 43. Has anyone of you faced similar situations? Revert requested to clear this problem of mine.

Hello and welcome to the forum. From Googling online this seems more of a mac issue than eset.

Was able to find this online https://applelives.com/fix-mac-error-code-43.html

Also this - a list of reasons why it might be happening

1. Incompatible file name characters - "@", "!", "#", "%", "^", and "$"
  2. Incomplete, locked, or currently open files
  3. A shared file(s) problem (no shared point)
  4. A problematic hard disk.

Hello everyone, I'm Mal and I just bought me a NOD32 license a few days ago, after eyeing it for a while and giving it a trial run beforehand. Very content with the product so far. Decided to join the forum to hang out and sometimes ask a question or two if I run into any problems down the line.

I'm a 23 year old long-time computer user, focusing mainly on digital artwork/graphic design but also gaming, dabbling in 3D modeling, and hoping to get into programming. My computers are currently running Win7, but I'm planning to upgrade to 10 soon. As for interesting facts about me: ESET is one of my current hyperfixations, I've read up on so much material about the company and I love the robot mascot to bits.

Anyway that's all, nice to meet you everyone.

Hello, I am Joan Sanaker. I live in Minnesota. I use ESET because the sales rep at MicroCenter told me it was the best. So far it has protected me. I found the forum when I searched my ESET software. I have OS Windows 10. I don't know what AV means. An interesting fact about me is that I am a senior citizen, age 73 and I love computers. Many of my peers are intimidated by them.

I do have a question. I live in a Senior Residential Building. We have a free network. My ESET sees the entire network and constantly lets me know when someone signs on to it. I don't really need to know what my neighbors are doing on line. Can I turn off the feature? Thanks!

• Administrators
6 hours ago, jsanaker said:

I do have a question. I live in a Senior Residential Building. We have a free network. My ESET sees the entire network and constantly lets me know when someone signs on to it. I don't really need to know what my neighbors are doing on line. Can I turn off the feature? Thanks!

Since it's not clear what you mean, please create a new topic in the appropriate subforum and post a screen shot for clarification.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Since it's not clear what you mean, please create a new topic in the appropriate subforum and post a screen shot for clarification.

It's about the feature in ESET that shows you connected devices and can scan for vulnerabilities , what he wants I believe is disabling this feature.

If he puts I believe that this network is Public both in Windows and ESET , I believe ESET should stop scanning the 'home' network.

• Most Valued Members
On 1/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, Malcorium said:

Hello everyone, I'm Mal and I just bought me a NOD32 license a few days ago, after eyeing it for a while and giving it a trial run beforehand. Very content with the product so far. Decided to join the forum to hang out and sometimes ask a question or two if I run into any problems down the line.

I'm a 23 year old long-time computer user, focusing mainly on digital artwork/graphic design but also gaming, dabbling in 3D modeling, and hoping to get into programming. My computers are currently running Win7, but I'm planning to upgrade to 10 soon. As for interesting facts about me: ESET is one of my current hyperfixations, I've read up on so much material about the company and I love the robot mascot to bits.

Anyway that's all, nice to meet you everyone.

Hi welcome to the forum. Just to let you know AV stands for antivirus

Welcome to ESET. I see you mentioned nod32. Have you looked into Eset internet security which contains a firewall, network protection etc. There is also smart security premium which is internet security but with a password manager and an encryption tool.

19 hours ago, jsanaker said:

I don't know what AV means.

Hi and welcome to the forum. AV stands for antivirus

Good Afternoon.  I am a member of High School Class of '66, 'Nam, Class of '68, TDY!  As in a lot of disciplines, knowing you don't know can be intimidating.  My query, why Edge?  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 10:55 PM, peteyt said:

Welcome to ESET. I see you mentioned nod32. Have you looked into Eset internet security which contains a firewall, network protection etc. There is also smart security premium which is internet security but with a password manager and an encryption tool.

Sorry for the late reply, but yeah I looked into the features of Internet/Smart Security, however since my computery needs are relatively simple (I don't do online banking, don't have access to the router etc), I figured NOD32 is sufficient for my requirements. Thanks for the recommendations, though, I'll definitely suggest Smart Security Premium to my father, who's in charge of most tech in the house and does pretty much everything SSP offers protection for.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Malcorium said:

Sorry for the late reply, but yeah I looked into the features of Internet/Smart Security, however since my computery needs are relatively simple (I don't do online banking, don't have access to the router etc), I figured NOD32 is sufficient for my requirements. Thanks for the recommendations, though, I'll definitely suggest Smart Security Premium to my father, who's in charge of most tech in the house and does pretty much everything SSP offers protection for.

I would like to remind that with ESET NOD32 Antivirus we won't be able to protect you from bruteforce attacks that attackers perform on computers connected to the Internet. After bruteforcing the password, they log in, disable antivirus, run ransomware to encrypt files and then extort money from the victim. Besides bruteforce attacks, EIS and ESSP protect unpatched computers from vulnerabilities in network protocols, such as EternalBlue exploited by the infamous WannaCry ransomware to spread to unpatched systems over network.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm Piratez. 

> How did you find the ESET Security Forum?
From WildersSecurity forum.

> What OS are you running?
Win10 x64

> What AV are you running?
EIS

• 2 weeks later...

Hows it going people. I am samet, my friends call me simit which is basically a bagel in turkish. I love to laugh. humor in everything keeps one stress free. I write about tech sometimes and do music part-time!

Hello,

Running Win 10 Pro on laptop and Windows 2012 R2 on server running ESMC.

I found the forums when I was handed the duties of managing our local government antivirus system.

I chose the screen name Cyphrex because it is a combination of Da Vinci Cryptex and Cipher used to encode messages. I have always been intrigued by spy movies, the passing of sensitive information, and encryption methods.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

First heads up to my friend Aryeh Goretsky. He has always been a gentleman when interacting with me.

I build computers for a living. I was a 7 year MS MVP desktop support

I'm a long time supporter of Eset and I recommend the software to all my customers.

Even if I don't always agree with update releases, I've never been stifled when being vocal on this site.

Also, Marcos is a patient man ☺️

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm Ricardo from Portugal, Systems Administrator and Business owner.

I've been using ESET Cyber Security for a few years. We only have interest in anti-virus as we have multi-layer firewalls and other security solutions for this.

Back in the day we tested a bunch of AV software and we were quite happy with ESET's low footprint and high detection rate.

Now-a-days I must say we are very unpleased with the direction of ESET's macOS software development. I have repeatedly received the indication (not only from Marcos here on the forums but also on the phone support) that "Security Extensions" have been introduced with Big Sur. THEY HAVE NOT.

They have been introduced with macOS Catalina, on Oct. 2019. Even before the official Catalina launch, devs have had months on end before that launch to develop Security Extensions. Today, in 2020, I have been told ESET is aiming to have a working product .... IN DECEMBER. (its the 24th of November....!), and from what I get still looking at the security extensions the wrong way.

For us this is something very troublesome. It tells us ESET is completely alienated from macOS's reality and not even making an effort to cover it. Based on the what the development of ESET Cyber Security will be in the short future, we may give up on ESET, as we are not comfortable with working with suppliers that behave this way or sound this kind of bells.

• Most Valued Members
16 hours ago, maverickws said:

Hi all,

I'm Ricardo from Portugal, Systems Administrator and Business owner.

I've been using ESET Cyber Security for a few years. We only have interest in anti-virus as we have multi-layer firewalls and other security solutions for this.

Back in the day we tested a bunch of AV software and we were quite happy with ESET's low footprint and high detection rate.

Now-a-days I must say we are very unpleased with the direction of ESET's macOS software development. I have repeatedly received the indication (not only from Marcos here on the forums but also on the phone support) that "Security Extensions" have been introduced with Big Sur. THEY HAVE NOT.

They have been introduced with macOS Catalina, on Oct. 2019. Even before the official Catalina launch, devs have had months on end before that launch to develop Security Extensions. Today, in 2020, I have been told ESET is aiming to have a working product .... IN DECEMBER. (its the 24th of November....!), and from what I get still looking at the security extensions the wrong way.

For us this is something very troublesome. It tells us ESET is completely alienated from macOS's reality and not even making an effort to cover it. Based on the what the development of ESET Cyber Security will be in the short future, we may give up on ESET, as we are not comfortable with working with suppliers that behave this way or sound this kind of bells.

I'm not an Apple user so my knowledge is limited but I know a lot of AVs have had issues with the changes in Big Sur with many like Eset having to hold off or release a version with some things missing. This is apparently due to the large changes with the update 

@peteytthank you for your reply.

The changes were not introduced in this update. Were introduced in Catalina. The narrative that they were introduced in this update is poor and merely indicative of poor technical knowledge on the subject.

The change from Kernel Extensions to System Extensions was pushed on Catalina. That means that devs have had since June 2019 or so to start working on these.

While the former worked on Catalina, you'd get a warning saying "Legacy Kernel Extensions" something. With Big Sur, it was enforced. That is the difference.

I can only tell you that from all the apps I use, and they're plenty, ESET was the only (that I use/own) that wasn't Big Sur ready. Can't vouch for others I don't know about, or other AV's, I didn't chose those, I chose ESET.

This is what "ESET's" implementation looks like:

kb7698fig1-2.png.b452cf06de1b7f3acd382dce030bebad.png

And this is how a properly implemented filter looks like:

1406935643_Screenshot2020-11-24at16_27_54.png.3d0adca005bcf9c0274a57b7577b25b0.png

Spot the differences?

(I can shoot a difference right way: the poor developer quality). Thousands of companies got this right, these guys at ESET are trying to find a way to have a VPN connection connected all the time:

160914983_Screenshot2020-11-25at12_24_23.png.981f8a46c9d51ef776a95db50cc1a635.png

A permanent solution I'd propose would be "get better developers".

Edited by maverickws

• Administrators

First of all, this topic is not intended to discuss technical matters. You actually compared apples with oranges; a firewall with http/pop3 proxy which are completely different things. When we have a new version with firewall compatible with Big Sur ready, it will appear exactly as Little Snitch in the Network connection list. As for the proxy, you must compare it with another product that performs http/pop3 filtering and not with a firewall. In order to discuss technical matters, please create a new topic in the appropriate forum.

I already created a topic there, inclusive you were there posting that Security Extensions were introduced in Big Sur which is a big lie (and your further "technical" explanations of the same caliber), asked you to retract yourself and you didn't.

Anyway will stop the technical discussion here as its an introduction forum.

WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD FOR THAT NETWORK FILTER PROPERLY IMPLEMENTED AS YOU DESCRIBE. As well as for your retraction on the aforementioned comment.

Edited by maverickws

• Marcos locked this topic