ESET SS v10 did not detect re-installing my online backup program!?

• ESET Insiders

Hi guys,

After updating my Windows 10 Pro x64 to build 1607 14393.447, I needed to re-install my online backup program. Before re-installing I deleted the firewall rules for this backup program. During the re-install ESET SS did not send me any pop-up (interactive mode) for the new communication. So no (allow/deny) rules were made.

post-3436-0-15500800-1479052046_thumb.jpg

Might be related to how your backup program works.

First, check that its update option is enabled. That should be the only reason it dials-out unless its a cloud backup. Close and re-open the program. It should then check for updates and you should receive alerts from the Eset firewall if set to interactive mode.

Also you searched the firewall rules for "backup"? I don't believe that is the name of your backup program. Scroll through all the firewall rules manually and see if a rule exists for the actual name of the backup program .exe.

• ESET Insiders

Thanks for your quick reply, appreciated!

1. it's update is enabled

2. it's a cloud backup program

3. the search string "backup" is oke, see screencap from my Windows 10 Pro x64 1607-14393.321 in a VM (ESS 10.0.369.0)

post-3436-0-84096800-1479057753_thumb.jpg

So I do believe something is wrong here, because I did not receive a message from the ESET interactive mode system whilst:

1 installing

2 making a backup

I'll update the Windows 10 in the VM to 14393.447 too and check it works the same!

Cheers

FYI.

First, verify the Windows firewall is disabled and that Eset is managing the firewall per Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Firewall visual verification.

You will not receive an alert in interactive mode for an existing allow rule unless the option "Notify user" is enabled. Otherwise, the activity is silently allowed. Ditto for any firewall log entries; to do so you must enable the "Log" option for the firewall rule. 

If you want to be able to allow/deny manually each Internet connection for your backup software, you will have to change the existing rule Action type to "Ask."

The Eset firewall in Interactive mode will only unconditionally alert when no firewall rule for the process exists.

The reason you didn't get any alerts while installing I can only assume that no Internet activity took place at that time? Also Eset would not have created the existing rules unless you possibly inadvertently allowed the alert activity.

Only way to know absolutely what happened is do the following:

1. Uninstall the backup software.

2. Remove all existing Eset firewall rules related to the software.

3. Verify that the Eset firewall is set to Interactive mode. Exit the Eset GUI.

4. Reenter the firewall rule section of the Eset GUI and verify that mode is set to Interactive and all backup software rules removed.

5. Reinstall the backup software.

At this point, the firewall should be alerting you of any outbound Internet activity from the backup software. If it does not or if somehow it is creating rules for the software automatically, then there is a problem. Note that if you select upon alert "Allow" and then also select the "Create rule" option, Eset will create like rule and you will not be alerted again as previously explained. The format of this rule will be identical to those shown in your screen shot. 

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

Hi @itman,

NO luck restoring the Backup Manager and get the ESET "interactive mode" notifications. Any other suggestions? I perhaps will un/re-install ESET SS v10.

Thanks for any further directions to troubleshoot my (serious) issue!

Cheers

Edited by m4v3r1ck

Need some further details.

When you reinstalled the backup software, did the Eset firewall automatically create rules for it w/o alerting you? Also enter Advanced Setup -> User Interface and validate that the Alerts setting is enabled as shown in the below screen shot.

post-6784-0-80970100-1479133594_thumb.png

• Administrators

You can back up you current settings,then revert to default values (make sure that no custom firewall rules exist) and then run the backup app.This will ensure that there won't be any existing rule applicable for the communication.

• ESET Insiders

EDIT: Missed your post @Marcos -typing at the same time!  ;) I'll follow your directions first, Thanks!

Thanks again!

- No added firewall rules created for search string "kpn" or "backup", no notification pop-ups. ESET is not alerting me for anything anymore, had already checked the display alerts.

- Very suspicious behaviour after the latest Windows 10 update! Until that update, ESET was rock-solid and working flawless.

- As stated in my #1 post I had NO issues with the 14393.351 (and previous) version(s) of Win10. 

- I'm going to restore my Windows 10 Build 14393.351 Winclone (in macOS) backup asap today! Keep you posted, to be continued...

Cheers

Edited by m4v3r1ck

• ESET Insiders

EDIT: Missed your post @Marcos -typing at the same time!  ;) I'll follow your directions first, Thanks!

Thanks again!

- No added firewall rules created for search string "kpn" or "backup", no notification pop-ups. ESET is not alerting me for anything anymore, had already checked the display alerts.

- Very suspicious behaviour after the latest Windows 10 update! Until that update, ESET was rock-solid and working flawless.

- As stated in my #1 post I had NO issues with the 14393.351 (and previous) version(s) of Win10. 

- I'm going to restore my Windows 10 Build 14393.351 Winclone (in macOS) backup asap today! Keep you posted, to be continued...

Cheers

@Marcos,

No rules, no nothing...

1. backup settings

2. setting all values to default

3. NO alerts for anything 

4. NO alerts for KPN backup

post-3436-0-73312200-1479136609_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by m4v3r1ck

For what it is worth, there are a number of recent complaints, some by AV vendors themselves, about how Win 10 updates are borking their products. It might be SOP in the near future to run a repair on your AV software after every Win 10 update. And probably a total reinstall after any Win 10 upgrade.

• ESET Insiders

For what it is worth, there are a number of recent complaints, some by AV vendors themselves, about how Win 10 updates are borking their products. It might be SOP in the near future to run a repair on your AV software after every Win 10 update. And probably a total reinstall after any Win 10 upgrade.

I'm following a few threads on other forums about this latest Windows 10 update. In the meantime I restored a .351 image. So let's see how the next update to .447 will behave! Keep you posted.

Cheers

• ESET Insiders

Restored Windows 10 clone 14393.351 and updated ist to .447, so far so good! KPN BUO and ESET are back-on-track again and responding/acting-up like they should! Let's see the upcoming day's how it will hold. Have some more testing to do.

@itman thanks m8 for your time trying to help me on this! Your SOP for future updates of Windows 10.x is noted!

Cheers

Edited by m4v3r1ck