Smart Security breaks downloading in Win 10 Insider Preview 14965

I've had to uninstall Smart Security after the latest Insider Preview update. I was unable to download any files, in any browser or app, until I did. Chrome always gave a non-descript "Network Error", and it took quite some time for me to narrow it down to ESET as the cause.

• Most Valued Members

I've had to uninstall Smart Security after the latest Insider Preview update. I was unable to download any files, in any browser or app, until I did. Chrome always gave a non-descript "Network Error", and it took quite some time for me to narrow it down to ESET as the cause.

From what I've read online lots of security suites are having issues with multiple insider builds with most not really supporting them. From what I can gather the insider builds are basically betas, and because they aren't the final version will be unstable. It looks like it's more secure really to use the stable version. I could be wrong however and some may support it with basic functions, but don't be surprised if you have issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that from W10 preview build 14393 onwards (currently using 14965) Smart Security appears to be the cause of -

1. Video playback malfunctioning. - Real Player, Divx, 5Kplayer, Fluxplayer, Windows Media

2. Browsers not resolving webpages correctly (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE, Maxthon), and refresh or force refresh does not solve the problem.

3 Some browser video contents not playing correctly if at all.

4. Corrupted downloads.

5 Windows update fails to download new previeiw builds correctly (that is either it shows 0% or shows 100% but no actual ESD file).

6 In place updates by Java, EMClient, DivX, DOPUS all fail with ' corrupted cab file' error.

I'm reasonably sure it is SS that is causing the problem as I made a complete new installation of W10:14951 subsequently updated to 14965. Before installing SS, all browsers were working correctly, all video playbacks played correctly and downloads had no errors. I then  installed SS 9.0.402.0 and immediately Maxthon( my main browser) ran slowly and the video playback problem returned. The download of SS 9 and 10 became corrupted.

As a side issue, my main data drive is now reporting files sharing the same sector number. Whether this is an Eset problem I'm unsure, but it only appears after downloading programs on my systems with SS 9 or 10 on. No SS installed no errors reported.

Microsoft have said that preview updates may fail if running 3rd party firewall and AV software, but not that it might cause a system to fall over.

My next task is to uninstall SS 9 and see if the system goes back to running properly.

• Most Valued Members

I can confirm that from W10 preview build 14393 onwards (currently using 14965) Smart Security appears to be the cause of -

1. Video playback malfunctioning. - Real Player, Divx, 5Kplayer, Fluxplayer, Windows Media

2. Browsers not resolving webpages correctly (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, IE, Maxthon), and refresh or force refresh does not solve the problem.

3 Some browser video contents not playing correctly if at all.

4. Corrupted downloads.

5 Windows update fails to download new previeiw builds correctly (that is either it shows 0% or shows 100% but no actual ESD file).

6 In place updates by Java, EMClient, DivX, DOPUS all fail with ' corrupted cab file' error.

I'm reasonably sure it is SS that is causing the problem as I made a complete new installation of W10:14951 subsequently updated to 14965. Before installing SS, all browsers were working correctly, all video playbacks played correctly and downloads had no errors. I then installed SS 9.0.402.0 and immediately Maxthon( my main browser) ran slowly and the video playback problem returned. The download of SS 9 and 10 became corrupted.

As a side issue, my main data drive is now reporting files sharing the same sector number. Whether this is an Eset problem I'm unsure, but it only appears after downloading programs on my systems with SS 9 or 10 on. No SS installed no errors reported.

Microsoft have said that preview updates may fail if running 3rd party firewall and AV software, but not that it might cause a system to fall over.

My next task is to uninstall SS 9 and see if the system goes back to running properly.

The problem as i see it is that as soon as Eset releases a fix a new insider build is released and changes break it again. In the past microsoft didnt have insider builds and developers had time to update software in time for big updates

Edited by peteyt

I don't know what Eset's official policy is on supporting Win 10 Insider Preview builds. But most security software vendors flat out state they only support final OS release versions.

As noted above, the whole purpose of the Preview cycle is to allow application developers time to test for compatibility and modify their software if necessary.

I wouldn't expect ESET to support the preview builds to the same extent as the RTM ones, however, as the W10 weekly 'fast ring' updates meld into the 'slow ring' (14965 only took 2 weeks before being rolled into the slow ring) and the slow ring, eventually evolves into the RTM update, ESET need to be aware of the preview problems so that they can investigate and be prepared for the rolled up RTM build when it wanders along.  The next fast ring update after 14971 will be interesting as that supposedly is when the new update algorithm begins.

Stop complaining about BETA programs. It is your own fault for running them. In other words GET LOST.

I am very tired reading about problems with using MS BETA builds. You should know better if you had any brains.

ESET should block MS BETA users.

Dear Ken1943,

Thank you for your contribution to this thread, as it upset you so much, I wonder why you actually popped in to read the contents especially as the OP made it quite clear in the thread title what  was likely to be contained herein.

As I stated above, I believe that Eset might find the different problems users have (and in this case it was a surprise regarding 3rd party firewall software) to enable them to cover the problems found. As I am sure you are aware one of the biggest problems with Windows and non Apple PCs, is that the hardware software combinations are so numerous that it is difficult to bug fix without having the myriad of systems at ones disposal. There are many users of the preview builds who have not had this problem, so the fact that some people do is of interest to coders of programs. Bugs in a program including OSs have a tendency to follow through the betas to the end product.

I am now off to have a Bob Martins and a lie down, brain fade is setting in at my advancing age.

Once again, thank you for your stimulating input into this thread.

Edited by bodgyuk

I like to post, only if I am sure that I have the correct answer or something constructive about it. This stuff being one of them. I watch a bunch of forums besides my security program ones, every one has people

complaining about problems with MS beta builds. In the past most users would wait for final builds before using a security

program. I went through this problem between XP and 7 when everyone was going nuts with the upgraded os.

This is not the fault of security programs. It is the fault of MS and therefore the people that complain on the forums for using beta programs.

I had problems with the last two Win 10 upgrades. I searched the net for answers and found them. The last problem with 1607

disappeared with the latest patch form MS.

Edited by ken1943

I can confirm build 14965 + ESS = break all downloads.

I tried to see about rolling back to an older version of windows, but it doesn't appear that is an option without reformatting it essentially.

Does anyone know which component of ESS needs to be disabled to work around this problem?

ken1943, on 20 Nov 2016 - 4:25 PM, said:ken1943, on 20 Nov 2016 - 4:25 PM, said:ken1943, on 20 Nov 2016 - 4:25 PM, said:ken1943, on 20 Nov 2016 - 4:25 PM, said:

Stop complaining about BETA programs. It is your own fault for running them. In other words GET LOST.

I am very tired reading about problems with using MS BETA builds. You should know better if you had any brains.

ESET should block MS BETA users.

There is really no reason to be insulting folks (ken1943). That is NOT being constructive.

Edited by TomFace

Note: Please be extremely cautious when disabling various options in ESS and restarting to try to find a work around. I disabled the stealth detection feature and it took me over an hour to recover my computer. I could only load into Safe mode, and it was almost impossible to get it into safe mode for awhile (had to break out a Windows install CD eventually because shift + f8 or f8 wasn't being detected because my PC starts too fast). I had to use the Eset Uninstaller to remove ESS and boot up my computer again.

Thank you for taking the time to test and confirm the issue.

Yes, I would like to echo that.

Has anyone tried ESS10 with build 14971?  I've only just got my system running again, so a little loath to try it myself at this moment.

@Ken I have had to "upgrade" to the very latest preview in order to get rid of a Microsoft issue that creating a new or renaming an existing folder on a server share with indexing causes a 30 second timeout (can you imagine how much time this wastes within a company) - this has affected a lot of people since the Anniversary Update rolled out with this bug in it. This latest release fixes that bug, but has broken ESET for me as described by others. I am in between a rock and a hard place. I have heard of companies ditching Windows 10 due to this folder bug. Pretty serious! And yet MS have only just put a patch/fix in this build and have not patched it out in the "real" world; I hear that this build will not be released to the general public until March next year; which means that this bug will not get squashed properly for about 9 months!

Microsoft are getting seriously sloppy with testing; and all this beta slow ring/fast ring stuff sounds great until you realise that this bug was reported in the beta builds and STILL let through. /rant.

I am hoping that MS/ESET can fix this security interface issue; as I really don't want to drop back to using the MS default Defender. As soon as MS patch up the folder bug I'll be dropping back to a more standard build; what a p.i.t.a.

• Most Valued Members

Anyone find a workaround or is there a fix for this yet? Still stuck using Defender until a fix comes out.

The problem is that even if a fix is released the next insider version might break something else. It seems like there will be constant issues for anyone using the insider ring.

Anyone find a workaround or is there a fix for this yet? Still stuck using Defender until a fix comes out.

FYI:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/10266-internet-security-10-causes-download-corruption-on-windows-10-pro-14965/?p=52943

https://forum.eset.com/topic/10083-smart-security-breaks-downloading-in-win-10-insider-preview-14965/?p=52638

As far as Eset is concerned, it is a Microsoft issue. The fix has got to come from them.

The problem is that even if a fix is released the next insider version might break something else. It seems like there will be constant issues for anyone using the insider ring.

Yes, I have read your numerous other posts on the issue. Thank you for your opinion. I don't think repeating it any further will be necessary.

Edited by DuncanIdahoTPF

By the looks of this post by Microsoft today - there are some major re-engineering works being undertaken around Windows Defender and the overall security framework; I'm guessing this is why 3rd party security is getting borken so badly at the moment.

https://blogs.windows.com/business/2016/12/06/windows-10-creators-update-advances-security-best-class-modern-tools/#emcxVoWBcVQ1TBeE.97