Why doesn't NOD32's update install major releases?

betona

I've used NOD32 for at least 15 years. Last year when I was running v8, I noticed that it continued to install point release updates, telling me I was completely up to date -- when v9 had already been released.

This morning I got a point release to v9.0.408.0 and I got curious. Sure enough, I learned there was a v10 released a few weeks ago and I wonder why the internal update didn't upgrade me?  I grabbed the installer and now have v10.0.369.0 which it seemingly wouldn't have provided to me.

How come? I get that some people don't want early new versions, but you'd think it would've given me the opportunity?

Its probably the way the updates are rolled out. A point release is more a bug fix update rather than any feature additions which would normally roll out under a new master revision i.e. 9 to 10.

If the differences are big enough then it would have to be a conscious decision  to upgrade rather than update through the existing software. This ensures you have read the release notes and that it won't impact your usage in anyway without you knowing about it.

Edited by MrWrighty

• Administrators

Updates to major releases are not provided shortly after they become available. I can't imagine that Microsoft for instance would push all users to the latest version of Windows shortly after the release. We are currently offering upgrade to v9 for users with older versions.