Crash during initial scan following fresh install of ESS 10.0.369.0

Hey,

I've encountered a crash during initial scan on two different PCs both running Win10 x64. The product is otherwise functioning normally following a reboot, but I've been able to reproduce this same crash with each reinstall of ESS.

I guess my question is: Are there any known product issues in this build that might lead to this sort of a crash? I reached out to support, and submitted a sysinspector report following the crash, but they're having a hard time differentiating between "crash on initial scan" and "crashing all the time due to software conflict"

Windows Event Viewer indicates: "The ESET Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service." 08/11/2016 21:47:10 - if I don't reboot the PC after this, the GUI indicates no protection services are functioning.

*EDIT* I removed to reproduce again and ran ESET's uninstaller utility in safe mode and reinstalled and that seems to have cleared it up. Just mentioning that in case anyone else runs into this.

Edited by cvvorous

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

In case you experience ESET service crashing, please enable creating of diagnostic dumps and if the crash repeats open a support ticket with the crashdump file and ESET log collector, those cases are usually being analyzed and fixed quite fast.

Regards, P.R.

• Administrators

It could be that you have a specific archive that is crashing the scanner. Are you able to reproduce the crash whenever you run an in-depth scan?

It could be that you have a specific archive that is crashing the scanner. Are you able to reproduce the crash whenever you run an in-depth scan?

Nope, it only crashes on the initial scan. After I reinstalled following a normal product uninstall, reboot, safe mode + uninstall tool run, it didn't crash again on my workstation. I'll see whether I can repro on my other affected machine. I submitted a sysinspector report to support, and they just repeated the event viewer log back to me and said it was an "unreported issue" and to engage chat support.