ESET SS 6 & Microsoft Security Essentials

Hello,

I'm running ESET SS 6 on my Win XP Pro notebook PC.

In the past, I've used Windows Defender to supplement ESET, because it helped clean-up malware/spyware/adware/tracking cookies that ESET SS 6 seems to ignore. However, Microsoft has discontinued Windows Defender for Win XP.

It appears they've moved Defender into their Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) Suite. It was my understanding that MSE is or was an antivirus program when Windows Defender was available as a separate stand alone program . I'm not sure of MSE current status, but I'm interested in the malware/spyware clean up that ESET doesn't.

Do you know if MSE is compatible with ESET SS 6 on the same Win XP or Win 7 system? 

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

MSE is a real time protection and will not work well with ESET.

ESET is by far greater in hueristics and greater at cleaning then MSE.

You will take a major hit in system resources and i have witnessed lock ups and problems booting on customer PCs trying to instance their own virus removal.

You may be able to install in tandem, but they wont play well together.

If you want supplemental protection with Eset i would recommend the following:

Malwarebytes /no PRO version (however i run pro with no issues)

SuperAntiSpyware /no PRO version

HitmanPro

Cylance Works well with ESET

Mbam has a beta version of an anti-exploit for common apps that seems to be decent too. It caught 1 attack on IE that i witnessed from java code so i know it has some decent instructions for observing infiltration. :)

Edited by Arakasi

Thanks for the replies,

I'm still interested to hear if anyone has tried MSE and ESET at the same time and found the two compatible or not.

I'm supplementing ESET on my Win 7 system with SUPERAntiSpyware Pro and Win 7 Windows Defender. I've had all three scanning at the same time without any issues. I've just downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, because I read a lot of forum posts that indicate Malwarebytes is a bit better than SUPERAntiSpyware.

Unfortunately, ESET SS 6 ignores a lot of the junk you pick up surfing the web. Adware and tracking cookies seem to bog down my browser, so I find it necessary to run the "other" programs to clean up the non-virus malware.

It would be great if you could just buy one package that does it all.

I'm tempted to try the MSE for the Windows Defender feature. From what I seen online, MSE goes after a lot of Malware.

Windows Defender cleaned a virus that was buried in an attachment to an old email in an old Outlook pst file that I had archived on my system. ESET apparently doesn't do that type of cleaning. It's good to have different programs as a check.

Regards

As i stated here :

MSE is a real time protection and will not work well with ESET.

I run a computer business and receive desktops and laptops on a daily. "Around 20-40 per week "

You will take a major hit in system resources and i have witnessed lock ups and problems booting on customer PCs trying to instance their own virus removal.

MSE runs good by itself and its pretty light.

ESET runs good by itself and is pretty light.

ESET goes after the malicious files and very hard to clean viruses. It thwarts off activity intended to ruin your system or steal information. Due to threatsense, it will detect more in the wild AV then any other AV today.

Cookies are not dangerous, nod32 engine does not remove these. ESET does detect and delete most adware if not "ALL" if you are using "Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications " (PUA)

Windows Defender cleaned a virus that was buried in an attachment to an old email in an old Outlook pst file that I had archived on my system. ESET apparently doesn't do that type of cleaning. It's good to have different programs as a check.

ESET supports most versions of Microsoft Outlook. If a virus is attached to a .msg file that is buried within a PST , it is most likely harmless. Until its release upon the system where it is aloud to run its instructions against the file system. The moment you import that pst into outlook, where it will return to .msg format. ESET will either catch that unpacking or it will discover it upon loading outlook or coming in contact with that email, whether it be a send, or a click, or a transfer from folder to deleted items etc. ESET supports Microsoft Outlook via add-in.

Going back to your origional question....

You may be able to run them both simultanously, but having 2 real time protections turned on will eat up more RAM, use more of your CPU and if they happen to end up on the same file together, you might experience a lockup or sudden halt due to CPU RAM high or similar to an IRQ trigger. (I have seen it happen) Having both scanning at the same time is not the same as real time protection monitoring and landing on the same file together.

I am not bashing Microsoft Security Essentials, simply answering your question and then some, because that is the software i install on computers if people refuse to pay for AV products. I give them a decent Free solution. "MSE".

Good luck

Edited by Arakasi

Just my 2 cents here:  I ran MSE on a couple of Windows XP SP3 systems and I don't recall seeing any type of separate controls for Windows Defender within MSE.  If my memory serves, you run it with real time protection on or off, and that's it.  I had trouble fully and cleanly uninstalling MSE on my XP laptop (recently deceased due to fan failure) before installing ESS, and I tried MS's fix it tools, to no avail.  I ended up just going ahead and installing ESS and ignoring ESS's complaint about another antivirus software being detected.  On my XP desktop (no longer in use), I was running MSE with Malwarebytes Pro, and I had intermittent issues with the computer freezing when I updated Malwarebytes' database.  A hard boot was required when this happened.  I worked with Malwarebytes staff to try to remedy the situation and nothing helped.  This particular computer had an antimalware history of a Norton security suite (preinstalled), ZoneAlarm, AVG free, and then MSE.  All vendor uninstall tools were used when changing security systems, but maybe something got left behind that messed things up.

I have a Windows 7 netbook which formerly had MSE and Malwarebytes Pro running in real time.  The netbook was terribly, terribly sluggish, but I blamed that on it being a netbook, maybe a little weak in the available resources, and we didn't use it a lot anyway, only for travel.  So I had been tolerating its behavior, at least until the XP laptop died and the netbook became its replacement.   I wasn't aware of Defender until I uninstalled MSE, then Defender's setting showed up.  I looked into its settings and realized it had been running in real time without my knowledge, so there was Malwarebytes, MSE, and Defender every time I tried to do anything on that netbook.  Little wonder it was so bogged down.  I turned off Defender and Malwarebytes Pro's real time protection and installed ESS, and what a difference!  I mean, if you have each process being checked by 2 or 3 security softwares every time you do anything on a computer, of course it's going to slow things down.  

Malwarebytes and ESS should be able to run in real time, provided they are set to ignore each other.  I haven't tried it yet, but may do so in the future. 

Personally, I would not recommend running MSE and ESS together, I think you're just asking for trouble.  ESS includes firewall protection, and it's better than what XP's firewall has to offer,  So that is something to consider as well.  

P.S.  The netbook is a Dell, came with McAfee preinstalled.  One of the first things I did was remove McAfee, using their tool from their website.  :)

Look guys this is PC security 101. DO NOT RUN 2 ACTIVE SECURITY SUITES SIDE BY SIDE. Just as arakasi said, it will slow down ur system, cause locks, and even has the potential to make ur system more vulnerable. Choose one active security, preferably one that best catches and cleans the most dangerous threats. We all know which one that is. That being said I have 5 supplemental scanners installed on my PC but none of them run at startup or give me any kind of active protection. The only time they do anything is when I tell them to run a scan because we all know that no one security suite catches em all. If you want to know my on-demand scanners list it is very similar to arakasi's: malwarebytes pro, superantispyware pro, hitman pro, spybot search and destroy, and combofix. I will add a word of caution about the last 3 on the list but particularly the last 2. If you are not at a computer technician you my wanna stay away from these very zealous cleaners as they have the potential to harm ur PC if you don't know what ur looking at when they give you a list of threats. But they are some of the best serious post-infection cleaners around. Remember, one active suite, as many on demand scanners as ur heart desires, do not scan simultaneously, and research ur flagged threats before deletion this is how u will become a PC security power user. Happy hunting.

Edited by aschlemm

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I would not recommend running Microsoft Security Essentials together with ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus due to the possibility of conflicts between their real-time components such as filter drivers causing a system hang (deadlock). You can, of course, try running the two programs together and may never experience this, or it may happen every time the programs are run together, or it may happen very rarely and in an unpredictable and unrepeatable fashion.

If you are looking for supplemental protection, you could try running ESET's software with some of the configuration changes and/or programs already suggested in this message thread. Some experimentation may be required on your part to reach a state where everything works.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky