Good evening from Greece,

I didn't want to bother support for this minor problem. I had installed ESET SS7 and yesterday i got a message that i can upgrade it. I pressed OK and the installation of ESET SS8 started automatically.

When i open the ESET interface, it freezes every time i choose the option "Computer Scan" from the left panel. It freezes for about 5-6 seconds. Of course the scan works fine.

Every other option, like "Setup", "Tools", don't have this problem.

I'm concerned if that could indicate another major problem, like a bad installment, and i must re-install it, or it's just a "buggy" interface.

Win7 x64 SP1

Eset Smart Security 8.0.304.0

PS I haven't messed with the modes or the settings.

I have had this problem with a previous version too.

Does it looks like in this topic?

ESS Gui (Egui.exe) Freezes At Tab Scan Computer

If so then I have to say you that the bug isn't fixed in version 8.0.304, because we're (at least) 0.0.001 versions away from the release with the bug fix.

Yes I know - it's sad. :(;)

So if you have the same issue as well then the next release of ESS should fix your issue.

Edited by rugk

• 5 weeks later...

Good evening from Greece,

I didn't want to bother support for this minor problem. I had installed ESET SS7 and yesterday i got a message that i can upgrade it. I pressed OK and the installation of ESET SS8 started automatically.

When i open the ESET interface, it freezes every time i choose the option "Computer Scan" from the left panel. It freezes for about 5-6 seconds. Of course the scan works fine.

Every other option, like "Setup", "Tools", don't have this problem.

I'm concerned if that could indicate another major problem, like a bad installment, and i must re-install it, or it's just a "buggy" interface.

Win7 x64 SP1

Eset Smart Security 8.0.304.0

PS I haven't messed with the modes or the settings.

I continue to have this very same issue from versions that came after v7.0.302. Everything seems to work fine......except when I try to choose the option "Computer Scan" from the left panel. It freezes and it stays frozen. I haven't started a scan, nor has the software started one on it's own. Once the "freeze" happens I have to use the task manager to shut down the software.....even then it takes a few attempts before it finally closes. I have just tried to install v8.0.304.1 with a clean install (completely uninstalled and checked registry to remove any traces before clean install......no luck with the latest v8.0.304.1, still freezes. As soon as I go back to v7.0.302, all works fine.

So.....what gives? Will I need to change antivirus programs?  I'm using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. No external hard drive connected either

" So.....what gives? Will I need to change antivirus programs?  "

Yes it's a bit annoying for those affected by it. No, of course you don't need to change AV just hang in there a while longer. A fix for this will be included in the next service release build of the product. But no ETA has been given.

Edited by SweX

" So.....what gives? Will I need to change antivirus programs?  "

Yes it's a bit annoying for those affected by it. No, of course you don't need to change AV just hang in there a while longer. A fix for this will be included in the next service release build of the product. But no ETA has been given.

OK....my mistake, I thought it was said it would be fixed by version 8.....which has come out already.

So, good news....thank you SweX for clarifying that the issue will be fixed after the next version after 8.0.304.1

• Most Valued Members

Never had a problem myself with any scans. Have you tried uninstalling ESS then using the Eset removal tool and then installing again ???

Never had a problem myself with any scans. Have you tried uninstalling ESS then using the Eset removal tool and then installing again ???

Have tried all of that......thanks for suggesting just in case though.

I've even gone thru the registry after doing what you suggested looking for any residual entries. I don't know if its a windows 7 64 bit issue, which is what I'm running. Everything after version 7.0.302 gives me the problem I'm describing. i can always uninstaller newer versions and go back to v7.0.302 and then the computer scan option works just fine.

Weird isn't it?

Edited by john114

Does this happen every time you select "Computer scan" or only sometimes?

Edited by rugk

Does this happen every time you select "Computer scan" or only sometimes?

Every time there is some type of slow down or freezing. Sometimes it will open into the window after clicking computer scan, but when I go to select an action within that category, it will freeze up and appears to not be doing anything. Eventually I have to use task manager several times to finally close the software because trying to "x" out of the program or out of "computer scan" will not do anything.

Again, if I uninstall and go back to version "version 7.0.302" no issues at all. I am now using version 7.0.302 and I'm fine

With every program update since version 7.0.302, I tried each one and have had the same freezing/slow down issues. Each time I go back to version 7.0.302 and all is good

Edited by john114

• Most Valued Members

I've even gone thru the registry after doing what you suggested looking for any residual entries. I don't know if its a windows 7 64 bit issue, which is what I'm running. Everything after version 7.0.302 gives me the problem I'm describing. i can always uninstaller newer versions and go back to v7.0.302 and then the computer scan option works just fine.

Weird isn't it?

Been running ESS since its launch and have never had this problem with any version. I'm running Win7 X64 as well so its not an issue that's OS specific. Do you have any other antivirus/spyware/malware app that's running in the background ?

Weird isn't it?

Been running ESS since its launch and have never had this problem with any version. I'm running Win7 X64 as well so its not an issue that's OS specific. Do you have any other antivirus/spyware/malware app that's running in the background ?

I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed but not running (confirmed by reviewing active processes in task manger, reviewing what starts with boot-up and plus when I occasionally run it, it asks me if I wish to change settings to active running).

I have always had it installed but not active to use for the occasional malware check. That being said, it's still there when I have version 7.0.302 installed and no issues.

• Most Valued Members

Was just a thought that something else was running, and didn't like the way eset was accessing files at the start of a scan and causing the freezing. Saying that, with what you described in your original post. Your problem seems to be with the GUI itself and not the actual scan. If its freezing before even managing to press the scan button.

Bad video card drivers perhaps ?

Was just a thought that something else was running, and didn't like the way eset was accessing files at the start of a scan and causing the freezing. Saying that, with what you described in your original post. Your problem seems to be with the GUI itself and not the actual scan. If its freezing before even managing to press the scan button.

Bad video card drivers perhaps ?

I thought about that, but first, if that was the case you'd think all versions of ESET NOD32 would potentially have problems. Going from version 7.0.302 backwards everything runs fines. Its only after trying any version after 7.0.302 that I have an issue. Second, I'm not having any other kinds of issues with my computer in any way. If there was an issue with video card drivers, you'd think that there might be some issues elsewhere in other software.

Seems like some of the mods (Marcos for one) acknowledge that they're aware of the issue and that I'm not the only one.

But thanks for the thoughts