Windows 10 forget folder view setting when ESS is installed

Please switch update servers to pre-release and manually run update. Check the list of installed modules in the About window and make sure you have Cleaner module 1112 installed, then try to reproduce the problem. We assume the new module should fix it.

Can you be more clear please?

In Windows 10 home edition I don't see any way to switch in pre-release or to control how the update are installed.

For the Cleaner module, mine is 1110 (20150806).

Well, it's OK now. But, you have to be more specific on update: You are speaking about ESET update and not Windows update :)

Anyway I did the change and now I'm waiting.

Edited by BigBearLio

Is there anybody experiencing the issue who hadn't received any detection alert from ESET before the issue started to manifest?

I experience the same issues described in this forum, however i did not receive any notifications from ESET and the log files are clear.

This occured on my desktop PC after applying windows 10 update: Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3087040)

I managed to replicate this on my laptop, right after applying the above mentioned update the same issues were found.

• Administrators

Is there anybody experiencing the issue who hadn't received any detection alert from ESET before the issue started to manifest?

I experience the same issues described in this forum, however i did not receive any notifications from ESET and the log files are clear.

This occured on my desktop PC after applying windows 10 update: Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3087040)

I managed to replicate this on my laptop, right after applying the above mentioned update the same issues were found.

Probably you're referring to the following issue which seems to be caused by Windows itself as it's solved in the latest insider build: https://forum.eset.com/topic/6033-windows-10-forget-folder-view-setting-when-ess-is-installed/?p=33413

@ Marcos

I did all the update and restarted 2 time.

Nothing change here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\

the default value is still  

%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\shell32.dll

The update did not fix the issue for me (or I didn't wait long enough), but changing the mentioned registry value did seem to do the trick.

BUT I had to change the value from both

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\

Changing from Wow6432Node alone was not engouh.

As Marcos mentioned, both registry keys are owned by SYSTEM and neither regular users nor admins can edit them by default. I first had to change the ownership of the keys, then edit permissions to allow modifications, change the values, and finally change the ownership back to SYSTEM. So try this at your own risk...

Can you explain how to make admin permission on these keys ? I try to bring a admin permission but I have a message with "access refused" :(

The update did not fix the issue for me (or I didn't wait long enough), but changing the mentioned registry value did seem to do the trick.

and

As Marcos mentioned, both registry keys are owned by SYSTEM and neither regular users nor admins can edit them by default. I first had to change the ownership of the keys, then edit permissions to allow modifications, change the values, and finally change the ownership back to SYSTEM. So try this at your own risk...

Can you explain how to make admin permission on these keys ? I try to bring a admin permission but I have a message with "access refused" :(

You have to change the ownership of the folder from "system" to your account and then grant full control on them. (and after the modify return it back to system)

EDIT: Btw I managed to fix it, thanks for the quick fix!!!

Edited by M@ssy

and

You have to change the ownership of the folder from "system" to your account and then grant full control on them. (and after the modify return it back to system)

EDIT: Btw I managed to fix it, thanks for the quick fix!!!

Ok thanks :)

Edited by Bainge

Probably you're referring to the following issue which seems to be caused by Windows itself as it's solved in the latest insider build: https://forum.eset.com/topic/6033-windows-10-forget-folder-view-setting-when-ess-is-installed/?p=33413

hi Marcos

may i know when will eset release a defenitive fix ?

i mean a stable new Cleaner module , no a pre-release module

Edited by mantra

I have change the two keys and back permissions to system, restart computer, but problem still again :(

hxxp://img.canal-pc.fr/N0086323001443201758.png

EDIT : ok I just type system32 instead of SysWow64 and it's ok. Thanks guy's

Edited by Bainge

OK, it seems to be solved now following the instruction.
For me the only problem was on Folder viewing but it's really the end of a nightmare!

Hoping Eset or Microsoft give an automatic fix for all people. 
Not everyone is able to take ownership of registry key and change string. Even open regedit is for most people something horrible 003.gif

When I opened this thread I was hoping for a quick response from Eset, but, in the end, it was the collaboration among users to give a solution.

From Eset Customer care I did not have any answers yet after eight days although I send them all what they had asked for.

So, thanks to all the users!!

• Administrators

When I opened this thread I was hoping for a quick response from Eset, but, in the end, it was the collaboration among users to give a solution.

From Eset Customer care I did not have any answers yet after eight days although I send them all what they had asked for.

It happens that certain issues cannot be reproduces easily or you need to know step-by-step instructions which was this case. I was able to reproduce it by following instructions provided by Arezco which substantially contributed to a relatively quick resolution. If anybody's still experiencing the issue with Cleaner module 1112 after restarting the computer and waiting a couple of minutes, let us know. We'd arrange a remote session and take logs from your computer. The cleaner module 1112 will be released for general public by the beginning of next week.

and

Switched ESET to Test Updates, changed both registry values, ownership set back to system, rebooted. Keys stay at windows.storage.dll but icons keep switching positions to left side after every reboot.

Anything else i can do? Definitivly do not want to install windows from scratch.

Edit: Cleaner Module is 1112. Will check again in an hour or two if behaviour changed.

Edited by Martin_B

and

Switched ESET to Test Updates, changed both registry values, ownership set back to system, rebooted. Keys stay at windows.storage.dll but icons keep switching positions to left side after every reboot.

Anything else i can do? Definitivly do not want to install windows from scratch.

Upgrading to module 1112 and returning to previous system recovery point fixes the issue aswell ( it fixes related registry).

Edited by hellnor

Hi, I am not able to change my right to save the changed registry :(

I found something elsewhere, but I could not get to the end.. Is there a tutorial, how to change the rights to be able to save the change ?

Everytime I hit the save button, I get message, that I dont have enough rights :(

(I did the 1112 change, restarted, did not helped, I found the registry key and this is how far I got)

I am really down, about this, realy disappointed and really thinking about NOT continuing with ESET anymore. This is a BIG letdown. I am helpless and I can only beg for help. This is very wrong.

I found something elsewhere, but I could not get to the end.. Is there a tutorial, how to change the rights to be able to save the change ?

Everytime I hit the save button, I get message, that I dont have enough rights :(

(I did the 1112 change, restarted, did not helped, I found the registry key and this is how far I got)

I am really down, about this, realy disappointed and really thinking about NOT continuing with ESET anymore. This is a BIG letdown. I am helpless and I can only beg for help. This is very wrong.

Go here hxxp://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/17175-windows-10-folder-view-settings-desktop-icon-positions-not-saving-26.html#post404274this shows you how to fix the permissions!

Edited by DrUnKeN_TiGeR

• Administrators

First of all, manual editing of the registry is not necessary - everything should be fixed automatically by means of the Cleaner module update. Apparently it doesn't fix the registry key on every system for some reason so we need to investigate further to find out what is causing it.

This issue doesn't compare to major ones that some other vendors have recently had when certain critical files were erroneously deleted which rendered systems non-functional. In this case, the cause of the issue is an abrupt change of a default value often misused by malware to register in the system that Windows 10 started to use. We've taken it seriously from the very beginning and been working on it for a couple of days already. As I have already written, we are willing to arrange a remote session with anybody who is still experiencing the issue to expedite a resolution. That said, calling this "a BIG letdown" or "very wrong" doesn't sound appropriate to me.

and

Edit: Cleaner Module is 1112. Will check again in an hour or two if behaviour changed.

Martin_B,

Please be sure you're changing the value of the two keys to %SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll (not %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\windows.storage.dll).  This thread has been somewhat ambiguous about that; but "system32" works and "SysWow64" doesn't.  Please see message #134 above.

• Most Valued Members

First of all, manual editing of the registry is not necessary - everything should be fixed automatically by means of the Cleaner module update. Apparently it doesn't fix the registry key on every system for some reason so we need to investigate further to find out what is causing it.

This issue doesn't compare to major ones that some other vendors have recently had when certain critical files were erroneously deleted which rendered systems non-functional. In this case, the cause of the issue is an abrupt change of a default value often misused by malware to register in the system that Windows 10 started to use. We've taken it seriously from the very beginning and been working on it for a couple of days already. As I have already written, we are willing to arrange a remote session with anybody who is still experiencing the issue to expedite a resolution. That said, calling this "a BIG letdown" or "very wrong" doesn't sound appropriate to me.

I think the less technically capable people were hoping for an exe file that could do the work for them.

I trusted ESET with my system  - and I got a 3-4 hours of google marathon, trying like everything, rearranging my 50 icons twice (two monitor desktop). How would you describe this, when not as a big letdown on someone you trust? You cannot imagine how exhausted I am from this.

Anyway, I managed to change the rights (clicked like EVERYTHING gazillion times) and changed the keys to system32 instead of SysWow64. And the icons are WORKING (at least for this seconds).

Edited by redicius

Updating to CM 1112 and editing the two registry values as said by Arezco on page 6 fixed the issue for me, thank you all for making this a lot less frustrating for me :) I'm glad I don't have to reinstall my OS after all.

Still, releasing an easy fix for those already affected who are not proficient enough to dabble in registry entries would be great.

Edited by sooth

"a BIG letdown" or "very wrong" applies to VW. This was a mere irritant, no big deal.

If people bothered to back up their systems on a regular basis maybe it wouldn't be such "a BIG letdown"

I'll continue using Nod32 V8 and W10 as it is. I'm sure there'll be an Official solution soon, meanwhile If I do suffer the "Big letdown" I'll just

reinstate a backup image, 15 minutes , job done.

I have updated to pre release and have cleaner module 1112 (20150924), but the problem still persists.

What value do you have in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\(Default) ?

Type is REG_EXPAND_SZ and data is %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\shell32.dll

I can confirm that changing both the registry entries to %SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll works. :) I would have really hated having to switch from Nod32 on my personal devices. I still remember when more than a thousand machines on our office network kept getting BSODs within a few seconds of boot due to a messed up Mcafee update.

I have updated to pre release and have cleaner module 1112 (20150924), but the problem still persists.

What value do you have in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\(Default) ?

Type is REG_EXPAND_SZ and data is %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\shell32.dll

the data is wrong ,it should be %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\windows.storage.dll