SSDP Discovery - svchost.exe

• Most Valued Members

I'm receiving a Event 1001. DHCP-Client error in event viewer at each boot. See the screen shot attached for the full error text.

Poking around in Eset I decided to take a look at "Firewall Troubleshooting" and found that "SSDP DIscovery" C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe is blocked as is my MBR900 Router Gateway blocking scvhost.exe. See second screenshot.

Is the DHCP error related to the blocked svchost.exe?

If not, I have read the svchost.exe should be allowed but I'm not sure as it was an old article.

Any and all advice is welcome, thanks.

On Edit: OOPS!  the title of this post should be svchost.exe not scvhost.exe :blink:

post-351-0-26774200-1437684658_thumb.png

post-351-0-63299400-1437685222_thumb.png

Edited by Marcos
Topic name fixed

• Most Valued Members

Just a guess that your router has network file/printer/usb sharing enabled and its trying to communicate to svchost on your pc to allow it to be used, and because the firewall is blocking it then it cant issue a connection to it.
Probably why its showing 39 blocking events for the 2 items.

Personally i just allow all processes under svchost to communicate freely to prevent any problems, using (interactive) mode on the firewall to first check what the process is :)

• Most Valued Members

Just a guess that your router has network file/printer/usb sharing enabled and its trying to communicate to svchost on your pc to allow it to be used, and because the firewall is blocking it then it cant issue a connection to it.

Personally i just allow all processes under svchost to communicate freely to prevent any problems, using (interactive) mode on the firewall to first check what the process is :)

You are correct I do have file and printer sharing enabled. I think I've corrected the svchost connection as it is not showing any more in the Troubleshooting Wizard. However the DHCP error is still showing in the event Viewer.

I'm not having any issues with connections to the Internet or the other computer on my home network so I guess everything is working as it should.

This svchost stuff is way over my head. :wacko:

Thank you for your time taken to reply and offer your solution, I appreciate it.

• Most Valued Members

You are correct I do have file and printer sharing enabled. I think I've corrected the svchost connection as it is not showing any more in the Troubleshooting Wizard. However the DHCP error is still showing in the event Viewer.

I'm not having any issues with connections to the Internet or the other computer on my home network so I guess everything is working as it should.

This svchost stuff is way over my head. :wacko:

Thank you for your time taken to reply and offer your solution, I appreciate it.

You are welcome :D

Don't have v9 beta running myself so cant advise as to why DHCP is showing on your event viewer if everything is working ok. As your pc would not have an ip address on your network if it could not make DHCP requests and communicate properly. :blink:

• Most Valued Members

I found the cause for my DHCP error shown in the Event Viewer, at least I think I have. Solution noted below should anyone else run in to this.

I do not use a wireless LAN even though one computer has the capability. The service WLANSVC (WLAN AutoConfig Service) was set to manual and even though I do not have a wireless connection the service would start and then stop. It was between the start and stop that it would generate an event DHCP error in the viewer, in a matter of milliseconds. Completely disabling the service resolved the DHCP error.

@cyberhash, Thanks for your comment "your pc would not have an ip address on your network if it could not make DHCP requests and communicate properly" it really was the key that helped me figure this out. I'm still new to all this LAN stuff, about a month and half. It's been a learning experience.

• Most Valued Members

Glad you managed to get your problem sorted :)

Sometimes learning the hard way is the best as you NEVER forget lol :) . You now probably know more about networks than 80% of the people online working out your problem.

• Most Valued Members

Glad you managed to get your problem sorted :)

Sometimes learning the hard way is the best as you NEVER forget lol :) . You now probably know more about networks than 80% of the people online working out your problem.

Wait a second.. Do you mean to imply that there is another way to learn besides the HARD way? :huh:   I never knew that. :o

But I won't say I would never forget, that's why I keep a log and screenshots of all the changes I make. The possibility exists that a year from now I'll be trying to figure out why my wireless LAN won't work. :rolleyes: